Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an Autocar article, latest edition. Tonales platform will be the only platform kept moving forward, all others will be PSA. Giulia/Stelvio will use PSA large platform (current 508), also to be used by Maserati for Ghibli/Levante, but will adapt many if not all of the innovative suspension engineering solutions from Giorgio, including steering, due 2023/24. New head of design will be Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos, ex. of Dacia and Seat (Leon and the Arona, Ateca and Tarraco SUVs). Talk of a GTV, as a 4 series competing 4 door coupe. Also tentative confirmation that sales/servicing will be from dual dealerships offering Maserati and Alfa together. Tonale first, Brennero and Giulia replacement in 2023, Stelvio 2024, GTV and small Mito replacement 2025. Thats all folks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
What I remember CEO Imperato saying is that 508 is NOT a stellantis large patform. Stellantis large platform is a new name for further development of Giorgio EVO platform (which is currently being used for development of new Maseratis).

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wile I'm at it, QF vs M3 vs 911 in EVO magazine. Disregarding the 911, M3 considered, just, the better car, but the QF is the one all agreed they want, they considered it not just a great car, but an EVO legend.

"having the Quadrifoglio in your life is to possess something that feels truly exotic, that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time you see and hear it, that brings the task of driving for fun truly alive."

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I remember CEO Imperato saying is that 508 is NOT a stellantis large patform. Stellantis large platform is a new name for further development of Giorgio EVO platform (which is currently being used for development of new Maseratis).
It will be a version of the current large platform. I think people get too caught up in the exact meaning of platform. All are versions of an original. Stelvio is a version of Giulia's platform, not identical. The next 508 will use a version of the current large platform, not the current one, and Giulia/Stelvio a version of that platform. They will be similar, but not the same. If the platform is basically good (see 3 series and 5 series) all will be well. If not (see Audi A3 and VW Golf) well, time for a second hand 911.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't think the next 508 will be RWD, but who knows...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Current 508 is FWD. Only AWD option is via electric engines on the rear axle - so not really AWD + it has transverse engine.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
(double post)

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's the future for you. Don't shoot the messenger.
You are, sadly, quite correct apropos the future. For those of us wot has petroleum distillate in the veins (and arteries, natch) ... we will need to keep as many of our favourites from "peak ICE" alive (for me that would be somewhere from the mid 70s to around 2000). The periods prior to the mid 70s are fairly well served ... but for me the aforementioned period contains quite a few cars which can arguably be used as occasional dailies with tolerable comfort and refinement.

Burble over.

Have a 🍺, good sir. We will need many more of these in years to come.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What worries me is Peugeot’s version of there well advertised “most powerful car ever” would be considered little better than average by most other higher end brands.
I just hope they manage to make more of the platforms capabilities than PSA can. After owning a 208 for a few years, it was the worst car I’d had for a long time in every way, quickly changed for a Giulietta.
I honestly couldn’t see any New pug feeling anywhere near as good to drive as the Giulia. Shame, I actually like the look of the 508 for a pug.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts