Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dd anyone see the latest Autocar magazine? They did a piece on the some of the worst cars of the decade and came up with the Alfa Spider amongst others! Full list below:
  1. Renault Vel Satis
  2. Fiat Croma
  3. Peugeot 1007
  4. Maybach 57/62
  5. Seat Toledo
  6. Vauxhall Signum
  7. Dodge Avenger
  8. Alfa Romeo Spider :cry:
  9. Jaguar X-type
  10. Fiat Stilo
  11. Mercedes-Benz R-class
  12. Subaru Tribeca
  13. Nissan Primera
  14. Peugeot 407 Coupe
  15. Renault Avantime
  16. Smart Roadster/Smart Coupe

Just for the record the readers voted the best car of the decade as the 2001 Range Rover with second place claimed by the second generation Lotus Elise. Veyron and Nissan GTR shared third! What do they know...

Discuss!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Im sure i've seen another article like that, that also puts the Spider in the top 10 of disappointing cars of the noughties :(

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Maybach :confused::eek: Must be some pee'd off oligarchs out there! :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
IMO, the X-Type is the worst car there. I don't know why they put the Spider on there, perhaps to generate less sales thus more exclusivity unlike the first Audi TT.

K

·
0 Posts
I always tend to take these sort of lists with a grain of salt.

It's really all very subjective at the end of the day.

One man's trash, another's treasure...etc..... etc

·
0 Posts
i wanna meet all these people that have owned a Veyron and a GTR to make them top 3 in the car of the decade.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
MSN had it in a list of dissapointing cars

Personally I wouldn't class my Spider as a sports car ... as has been mentioned it's a cool cruiser

Lots of people have said how stunning it looks and it doesn't drive bad ... just not as fast as a TT, Boxster,Z4 etc

·
Registered
110 Posts
From the minimal number of people who actually own an Alfa Spider, I'd be surprised if they deemed it a bad car.

There certainly been far worst cars produced over the past decade.

A load of Pi$h in my opinion! lol

·
Registered
972 Posts
I for one applaud Renault for daring to make the Vel Satis - as has been said, it's main problem was that it was too individualistic and hence didn't fit into any box. Having owned an X-Type I would not agree with that being on the list either. It may be built on a Mondeo chassis (which in itself is acknowledged as being one of the best), but it did have all the halmarks of traditional Jaguar quality. It's olny downside was that it had a range of very thirsty petrol engines at launch - only rectified when the 2.2 Diesel was introduced (I don't consider the 2.0 Diesel to be powerful enough for a sporty car of that weight). I'm at a loss to see why the Spider could be considered a bad car when it has all the traditional Alfa qualities plus the advantage of the much improved build quality Alfa achieved with the 159/Brera/Spider platform.

Utter rubbish!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The list wasn't created by autocar staff. It was done by an online vote - i voted :)
So Chris... was there a list of cars and you were invited to vote for your favourite? If that is the case then the cars in this list are simply the cars that people didn't vote for - probably because of their low production numbers maybe. There aren't too many Spiders out there.

It's either that, or you were asked to vote for your least favourite car which is altogether more worrying!!

The difference is whether the cars are on there by default or whether they were voted onto the list! :confused:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
so, where is Rover's CityRover in this?? The pile of sh*te should have gotten top honour! Oh & the Merc A Class!!

Fiat's Croma isn't a bad car, it just didn't sell too well!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think the Spider was a disappointment for those who like to drive sideways all the time but in the real world it is a good looking car and as previously stated a great cruiser.

iirc the X type was panned when new but is now rated as a great used buy, which I'd agree with. Remember this survey is not based on ownership experience but opinion only.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Those Renaults were excellent cars, the public just didnt take to them, personally I would have either, they were quiet, refined and an excellent alternative to an SUV.

Indeed - where is the City Rover in this list....

I do agree that the Croma was bad, it offered no USP, nothing new in an extremely dull package - Fiat can and should have done better.

For my money the Saab 9-3 is a far worse car than the (ugly and overpriced) X type

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
love the German advert for the Spider

as to the X-Type ... it unfortunately had a few issues along the way ... could have been a great car ... trust me

·
Registered
381 Posts
Those Renaults were excellent cars, the public just didnt take to them, personally I would have either, they were quiet, refined and an excellent alternative to an SUV.

Indeed - where is the City Rover in this list....

I do agree that the Croma was bad, it offered no USP, nothing new in an extremely dull package - Fiat can and should have done better.

For my money the Saab 9-3 is a far worse car than the (ugly and overpriced) X type

How can you say the Renaults were excellent cars, they are the most unreliable cars around!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts