Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to you all,

I have just purchased a 166 3.0 auto year 2000 and found a few problems. Firstly I would like to thank all those who take the time to pass on their experiences and make owning such a car easier. So driving home all good with the car then the red light that looks like the boot is open on a car came on. Getting home I see this is in fact the auto box warning light. The owners manual states it is indicating gearbox over heating and to drive easy and let it cool down. This morning was very cold so when I went out to it I thought not to see the light on but yes its still on but works fine in normal mode but not in sports mode. Gearbox looks clean with no signs of leaks and as I say selects and drives very well. Can you help?

The indicators on the dash do not flash but I read this is a relay 883 in the passenger well, I will take a look.

The radio works fine but the nav needs a code, I have no code other than the radio code so not sure what to do about this? sure it would work if I put in the right code?

OK so tell me how do I reset the clock? I went into the trip part and it gives an option to the time but the settings part in not opening, I can change to summer time or the other settings but can not see how to adjust the normal clock?

Apart from these all else is in excellent condition. The underside is completely rust free and no signs of any leaks. it runs perfect and drives really nice so would be good to get these things fixed, clearly the intermittent fault with the gear box seems the most important, sound like a sensor to me?

looking forward to getting to know you all

Paul

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Hi to you all,

I have just purchased a 166 3.0 auto year 2000 and found a few problems. Firstly I would like to thank all those who take the time to pass on their experiences and make owning such a car easier. So driving home all good with the car then the red light that looks like the boot is open on a car came on. Getting home I see this is in fact the auto box warning light. The owners manual states it is indicating gearbox over heating and to drive easy and let it cool down. This morning was very cold so when I went out to it I thought not to see the light on but yes its still on but works fine in normal mode but not in sports mode. Gearbox looks clean with no signs of leaks and as I say selects and drives very well. Can you help?

The indicators on the dash do not flash but I read this is a relay 883 in the passenger well, I will take a look.

The radio works fine but the nav needs a code, I have no code other than the radio code so not sure what to do about this? sure it would work if I put in the right code?

OK so tell me how do I reset the clock? I went into the trip part and it gives an option to the time but the settings part in not opening, I can change to summer time or the other settings but can not see how to adjust the normal clock?

Apart from these all else is in excellent condition. The underside is completely rust free and no signs of any leaks. it runs perfect and drives really nice so would be good to get these things fixed, clearly the intermittent fault with the gear box seems the most important, sound like a sensor to me?

looking forward to getting to know you all

Paul
First thing to do Paul is take off the side covers on each side of the ICS .Look for signs of dampness etc.The usual cause of repeater light is a leak on the rely and possibly onto auto box ecu which is catastophic failure/
As /If and more thatn like AS the car has sat nav the sat nav updates the time so you cannot do it mnanually.

OH and the boot open is the little red bar at the bottom of the car in the dash .the open door bitty.
Hope its not too bad.

Possibly if that shows nothing have the transmission fluid level checked.

Welcome...Hope like Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade you have chosen wisely.

Pomeo

I obtained my sat nav code by phoning the original supplying dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank sounds easy when you know how. I am not sure on what to take off to get to these? Do you mean the leather trim on each side of the transmission tunnel? how do these come off without damaging them? Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Hi, welcome

pretty easy, they are only held on with one screw, a cross headed grey domed plastic head on it, undo that, slide the padded section forward and down and it out. Have a good look in that space for dampness, antifreeze deposits or that verde-gris that wet copper get. Fitting it in the the reverse, although a bit of a pain through having to line the screw holes up.

HTH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have got the covers off and can clearly see the auto box ECU and the large green control unit for the indicators (some call it a relay but its a control unit) my only problem is its bone dry in there, no sign at all of any dampness or contamination. As the box works perfect in auto mode but does nothing in manual mode I am now thinking the switches under the lever could be at fault. I hope I can see something but it sounds like a complete cover removal to me.

I have heard doing a reboot of the system can work but I am worried if I disconnect the battery and do the boot up process I will need codes I do not have? I have the radio code but none for security. id disconnecting the batter for a few hours going to cause more problems?

thank to all who help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I guess this is the pleasure of owning an Alfa. Just put my covers on the foot well back on and decided to leave it for another day. Then decided to open the gear gaiter and could see the micro switch so I clicked it a few times to make sure it was not loose and then put it all back together. Started the car and no warning lights at all? Will take it our later to see if it keeps working, if not then I suspect the micro switch is at fault.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
up-date on the warning light, turns out it was the previous owner was over the top with his interior spray and it has made the micro switch sticky. A quick spray with some WD40 and its back to new. No more gearbox problems. Today did the reboot on the ECU and everything has come right with the car, all better, ticks over smoother, picks up when I ask it to and the gear change is so much better, don't have to bury the throttle into the carpet to get it to change. Maybe now I can enjoy my Alfa for what it is, a great car to drive. Only a few problems like the Sat Nav showing I am just of the coast of Holland and the seat heater switch will not stay on. One question, what can I expect on a run to get to the gallon? Do you trust the trip computer?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same annoying problem with the seat heater switch - typical Alfa it only decides to fail when its getting cold (at least here in the sub tropics of Essex, see Scotland may be just a tad cooler!). Perhaps I need to prize it out of its little slot and give it a liberal dose of switch cleaner?
If I set the cruise at around 70 actual mph - i.e. maybe different on the speedo with the car ticvkimg over at around 2800 rpm I get around 30 to 34, town - 20 if I'm lucky, average around 24-26mpg, dont ask me km/litre though!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts