Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does yours work?

I took delivery of my 2018 Stelvio Milano last Thursday (yes, I am aware this is a Giulia forum but I assume the feature is the same for both platforms).

I’ve done about 150 miles so far and the auto stop-start hasn’t kicked in once.
I know its operation is dependent on several conditions being met, but I am pretty sure I met these conditions in at least 3 of my journeys.

Is there a way to check if it is just temperamental of faulty?

·
Registered
555 Posts
My 2017 Giulia often doesn't work. It's worked a handful of times. It's going into the garage tomorrow for them to have (another) look at it. Not hopeful though....

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2017 Giulia often doesn't work. It's worked a handful of times. It's going into the garage tomorrow for them to have (another) look at it. Not hopeful though....

Mines has never work since I collected it April 2019 - which makes me think there is a fault, but I have heard from the dealer that if the battery is not fully charged it wont work, the alternator does not fully charge the battery all due to the IBS, this is where Alfa advise that when the vehicle is not being used put a CTek battery trickle charger on the battery.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mines has never work since I collected it April 2019 - which makes me think there is a fault, but I have heard from the dealer that if the battery is not fully charged it wont work, the alternator does not fully charge the battery all due to the IBS, this is where Alfa advise that when the vehicle is not being used put a CTek battery trickle charger on the battery.
Thanks.
Now that you mention it I did spend a lot of time in the cabin playing with the infotainment system with the engine turned off. I wonder if that reduced the charge of the battery to the point that it disabled the auto stop-start.

Also - thanks for the pointer on the CTEK battery trickle charger, though it feels unessential to buy one just so that I can use auto stop-start (which many on this forum detest anyway).

·
Registered
555 Posts
The dealer trickle charged mine for 5 days up to full. Left the dealershiop, still didn't work

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
If the car has been sitting around , in stock , for a while and the battery has gone flat it will never be quite the same however much it’s charged up. My Stelvio is not used every day and doesn’t often do long journeys but S/S has always worked since I collected it new in December last year. A couple of times it’s had parameters like demist on full when it stays running.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
When I bought our IQ from a Toyota dealership they replaced the battery before we collected it because they had the car in stock for a couple of months. Better than selling a car and hoping to get away with it!

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
I bought my 2016 Giulia last month and I'd love the stop start to stop working! I only have to drive 1 1/2 miles down the road & the next stop it's kicking in! Pull up to a right turn and the engine stops, starts as soon as you take your foot off the brake mind, but I'd rather have the engine running then. Same with a roundabout, stop/start traffic. Thing is with a manual gearbox you can engineer it to stop (ie put it in neutral) but with an auto 'box you can't so it stops all the time. Oddly, because it has been stopping and then having to immediately restart I've had the cel light come on twice now in this situation. I'd be much happier if it was a little less keen!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on the topic.

As I was driving home tonight I switched off the air con through the centre knob (but left the standard climate functions on - left and right). At the first red traffic light the auto stop-start kicked in and if worked pretty much every time the car stopped.

I then re-introduced the air con (whilst I was stationary) and the engine switched on - even with the break pedal still pressed). The auto stop-start did not work again.

So it’s somehow connected to the air con. Not sure this is the way it’s supposed to be so I’m going to have it looked at by Alfa Thames on Thursday.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My experience with auto stop start is with Mazda Skyactive engine. Through the infotainment screen you can select onto the economy menu and see why the car is not auto stopping. With those cars there are 3 factors. Engine, battery and A/C. So if the engine is cold start/stop won't work. If the battery is low on power it won't work. If the climate control has not reached it's desired settings then the stop start won't work as A/C needs engine running for compressor.

If all parameters are met, then you just need to push down on the brake pedal with a little more force and keep the car in Drive if automatic. There's also a i-stop light on the dash which turns amber for not ready, or turned off. Green for ready and green flashing meaning that it's working.

Is there something in the Stelvio's infotainment screen which allows you to see whats going on with the start/stop economy settings perhaps? Or a light on the dash that changes colours and flashes indicating it's status.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Update on the topic.

As I was driving home tonight I switched off the air con through the centre knob (but left the standard climate functions on - left and right). At the first red traffic light the auto stop-start kicked in and if worked pretty much every time the car stopped.

I then re-introduced the air con (whilst I was stationary) and the engine switched on - even with the break pedal still pressed). The auto stop-start did not work again.

So it’s somehow connected to the air con. Not sure this is the way it’s supposed to be so I’m going to have it looked at by Alfa Thames on Thursday.
Don't think it will be related to the A/C to that extent; probably the system just saw the need for extra power so disabled the SS
When I got mine, it didn't work initially; then started working but only for exactly 15sec every time; later improved to 30sec, now it works for as long as needed most of the time - but I do a fair bit of driving

I suspect yours will start to 'kick-in' once you get some constant charge in to the battery and the AI does its stuff ;)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I bought my 2016 Giulia last month and I'd love the stop start to stop working! I only have to drive 1 1/2 miles down the road & the next stop it's kicking in! Pull up to a right turn and the engine stops, starts as soon as you take your foot off the brake mind, but I'd rather have the engine running then. Same with a roundabout, stop/start traffic. Thing is with a manual gearbox you can engineer it to stop (ie put it in neutral) but with an auto 'box you can't so it stops all the time. Oddly, because it has been stopping and then having to immediately restart I've had the cel light come on twice now in this situation. I'd be much happier if it was a little less keen!!
You could just press the button to disable it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update on the topic.

As Cybrnite says, it's most likely the battery. The car has some pretty sophisticated power management software which stops certain things happening if it feels there won't be enough power - the first to go is S/S. I had issues with mine from day one but the battery was replaced under warranty & it's been fine since.

Anyone who's ever had a (even remotely) flat battery will tell you, once you get restarted there will be a whole host of error messages appear & these slowly correct themselves as the battery reaches full charge - apart from the engine light which might take two or three restarts.

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Update on the topic.

If the difference between set temp and actual temp is more then 4 degr.C., start/stop won't kick in.

another frequent cause for start/stop not working is if the bonnet is not closed properly (there are bonnet switches on BOTH sides..)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts