Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been using auto glym for many years now to detail my alfa,s, generally the products are very good, i often wonder should i stray to another brand and get even better results , has any one gone and left the glym products to another brand and are happy with the results:cool:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Autoglym were great and I still have bottles of SRP and EGP because customers know the brand and trust it. I will also say that they're not what they used to be and there's far better out there. For example, SRP is no longer really a polish, the recent change in formula saw the abraisives removed and it's now full of fillers, so it's more like a glaze. The results don't last anywhere near as long.
If you're serious about trying other products then I'd suggest looking at:
Mainz.
Angel Wax.
AutoBrite Direct.
Soft99.
Juicy Details.
Dodo Juice.
Poor Boys.

All are priced similarly to AG and all outperform anything AG currently has to offer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good question to ask, in fact I've been asking myself the same for a while now. Is it best to buy all products from one brand or mix and match.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Honestly I won't use Autoglym on my own car and always try to talk customers out of it. They're nowhere near as good as other stuff out there (although the shampoo is very good).
Since machine polishing mine and several customers cars I've only ever needed wax to protect the paint.

·
Registered
988 Posts
There is a staggering of alternatives to the AG range. However, there is nothing wrong with their products and if someone forced me to stay with SRP & EGP I would not loose much sleep.

No one brand can offer a range in which each product is really good which is why many will pick and choose different products for different tasks. If you wish to try other brands then just buy whatever you fancy, if you want to stay with AG then my view is you should still be able to get a great shine from their products.

I have not tried the AG (machine) polishes so cannot comment but with the exception of their Fast Glass I have liked all their consumer stuff

These days I tend to use other brands but technique and correct application will tend to be more important than who made it

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I have a good selection of AG products on my shelf to use.
And I'm happy to continue to use what I've got.
I'll keep on using AG until I have to restock.
Then I'll make a decision as to change or stay!

As for which is best I do not know as I have not compared so can't help!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nothing wrong with AG products at all. Not sure that the Super Resin Polish no longer contains abraisives. Only heard that the new formula is even better than the old because it doesn't "dust" as much. I've used it and it's brilliant.

Also use AGs HD Wax which is superb. Very easy to use too (if you use it sparingly, as you should).

Have tried stuff from Meguires, Poorboys, Autobrite and Angelwax - which were all very good. But not that much noticeable from the AG stuff. If at all.

Plus, the AG stuff is easy to get (as is Meguires) from your local Halfords - who often have a "Buy 2 get 1 free" offer on. So I wouldn't write-off AutoGlym just yet . . .

Oh, and AutoGlym's Aqua Wax is an absolute must-have in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Our local Alfa section were invited to a local detailers for a demonstration day and at the end they invited us to purchase from the Zymol range that they use. Even though it was hugely expensive I thought that I would give a couple of the products a go.
I must say that I was hugely disappointed, their polish created dust like you would not believe so I have since reverted to my trusty Autoglym collection.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys i have to say i am happy with ag but sometimes i wonder if i am missing out on a product that could be better tha ag

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I still think it's fantastic. New SRP is brilliant, HD Wax punches massively above its weight.

They also have what I consider to be the single best product in detailing- Aqua Wax.

Lots of snobbery in detailing yet in tests, AG is always top of the pile.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have used AG for ages but have tried others like Nanolex wheel cleaner (awesome stuff) and recently Collinite wax which I thimk is very easy to apply and polish off and so far seems to have lasted well in the recent winter weather. Still use AG glass polish and rubber trim though but might give the Megs tyre stuff a go.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I love the aqua wax too, but I bought 5 litres as Autoglym Express Wax, cost about £30, rather than £12 for 500ml. I do use it most weeks...
All being well this weekend I am going to do a snowfoam with dodo Apple iFoam, followed by AG shampooing, G3 claymitting (with G3 detailer as lube) and my first AG HD waxing experience!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I love the aqua wax too, but I bought 5 litres as Autoglym Express Wax, cost about £30, rather than £12 for 500ml. I do use it most weeks...
All being well this weekend I am going to do a snowfoam with dodo Apple iFoam, followed by AG shampooing, G3 claymitting (with G3 detailer as lube) and my first AG HD waxing experience!
After you've clayed wash the car again, dry it and then use panel wipe to remove any residues. That'll give the wax the best bond and increase the length of protection.
There's no need to use a detailer as lube a strong shampoo/water mix is sufficient.
iFoam is a great foam too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I used autoglym for 10 years plus as I could usually get it cheap or even free being in the motor trade.
last few years ive switched to meguiars and can only give the highest recommendation, excellent products, very easy to use, reasonably priced.
Usually found autoglym SRP would create excessive dust on buffing, same with the cream glass cleaner.
In a nutshell meguiars completely outperforms it, also heard Collinite is an excellent product but yet to try it

1 - 20 of 52 Posts