Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this week they find the Hyundai Veloster preferable to the Giulietta .Suffice to say I did not buy the rag but scanned through at Smiths.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Did you really expect anything different? If I remember correctly they have tried a couple of Giulietta's and decided that they aren't Alfa enough and that's about it. Then of course there's that question - How many times have you taken Auto Express' opinion about anything and found it concurs with your own....because I haven't found one. I was lead by their opinion once and found it to be rubbish. And that cost me a lot of money. Since then I listen to others opinions but make my own mind up.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The Veloster is a better looking car, especially from the three door side & the front:eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I couldn't believe how negative they were in the report!

I appreciate we all have different tastes but they were scathing in there summary.

How can you say the alfa interior is looking dated!

Personally I find the veloster ok to look at except the rear is rather ugly.

I'm looking forward to my silver Jooli arriving in late feb/march but I can imagine some being put off by such anti Alfa reporting

·
Registered
34,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that the interior lacks things like the lined door pockets of previous Alfas but the theme of the inside is great, especially the heater controls and instrument cluster surround.Makes the 159/Brera dash look like an early desktop.The Giulietta dash is a fine interpretation of the Duetto style interior but maybe if the facelift gets upgraded door trims...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Velostar is the answer to a question no one is bothered with. When the manly owner gets in, he thinks he is in a coupe. When the wife and kids get in its a nice 4 door car. When you look at it as a whole it is a deformed creature that should have been put down at birth. However as it lives we will have to put it in the 'special needs' category and take pity on all those who have one.

This analogy is for CARS only and is not intended for a wider audience.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It sort of reminds me of an US car from the 70's or maybe 80's which was a 3 door hatch but the driver's door was bigger than the passenger. Can't for the life me me remember what it was....would need to dig out my old Observers Book of Cars to find out :lol::eek:

·
Registered
337 Posts
It sort of reminds me of an US car from the 70's or maybe 80's which was a 3 door hatch but the driver's door was bigger than the passenger. Can't for the life me me remember what it was....would need to dig out my old Observers Book of Cars to find out :lol::eek:
AMC Pacer ?? By any chance

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
....oh it's new it must be good!

:cheese:

·
Registered
683 Posts
The thing with Auto Express is that anything with an Alfa or MG badge is automatically the crappest car on test, even if the test is comparing it with a broken skate board.

As the vast bulk of their advertising revenue seems to be VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat and Hyundai, am I being cynical in suggesting their is a link to the usually favourable reviews their products get?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oh yes, and they moaned the Alfa cost a lot more money. Suggestion: compare like with like and get hold of a lower bhp Joolie in a lower trim level.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
They should probably compare the price with BMW1, CT220h or A3... I suppose Alfa is the cheapest by high margin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts