Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Guilia about a month now and just wondered are all auto boxes totally backwards? It's the first Auto I've ever owned myself but you push forwards to go in reverse and pull back to go forwards? Luckily it's been at very low speed but I have nearly gone through my fence, nearly hit a bollard at Tescos, and the list goes on. Why not back to go back and forwards to go forwards, is it just an Italian thing or do the German auto's do the same?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had an auto before so if everyone else has grown up with it that way, that's my job to acclimatise. But when operating the lever in Manual you then go up and down in the obvious way, I don't have the paddles though. Other than this incredible way to crash the car I do love it and drive miles to nowhere just to be in the whole experience.
How fast do you really have to be going to get M8? I Can usually get around M7 but it doesn't let me get into M8 until it's flying is there a speed set in the ECU to stop it being selected too early? Maybe no-one should answer that, I know its well over the legal speed limit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How fast do you really have to be going to get M8? I Can usually get around M7 but it doesn't let me get into M8 until it's flying is there a speed set in the ECU to stop it being selected too early? Maybe no-one should answer that, I know its well over the legal speed limit.
Mine goes into 8th at 50+ mph, but I have to be very light footed to keep it in 8th @ 50mph

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi which mode will you be driving to get that, as a new owner I'm in D most of the time at the minute and I get about 35mpg. I am looking forward to the 60mpg figures but thought they were only achievable on a big motorway cruise?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi which mode will you be driving to get that, as a new owner I'm in D most of the time at the minute and I get about 35mpg. I am looking forward to the 60mpg figures but thought they were only achievable on a big motorway cruise?
Driving mode "A" as for 60mpg in a petrol vehicle you'll be very lucky, may get close to it with a diesel but Im doubtful about that too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having Drive at the bottom makes it good, as you can just slam the old selector right down and drive off. I'm thinking the Jaguar J gate. Mercedes from 2000's etc. I'm not a huge fan of cars with other modes below Drive. Older automatics had 'S' and/or 'L' which just held in certain gears. As automatics got more gears they started to go down the gears to 3, 2, 1 etc.

When it comes to 'tiptronic' mode in certain automatics this is where I have my biggest bug bear. Usually you push the lever to the side when in drive and then you can manually select a gear as such. Some cars have push it forward for going up. Which is kind of intuitive at forward, is up, or higher gear. But in a manual if you push straight forward you go down a gear. Likewise for pulling down the gear lever in tiptronic mode. Some cars have it as changing down, as you are pulling the lever down. While others have it as changing up as in a manual transmission when pulling straight down you change up a gear. I prefer down for up, and up for down more than down for down and up for up.

Of course with newer cars you can just change gear with the paddles at any time. In which I prefer cars with two paddles. One paddle for up, and one for down. Rather than push forward for up, and pull back for down for example. Or paddles on both sides for up and separate buttons on both sides for down.

·
Registered
717 Posts
one thing which bothers me is that in manual gear change mode, you can't put reverse. a few times I tried to use manual gear change, I ended up nearly crashing something in front of my car while doing parking manouvers, as I pressed button on the stick and moved stick forward,I was believing I'm in reverse, in fact still in D. not sure what was reason behind this when AR developed the car- I do not see any, but even if it was, there should be clear alarm beep or something to let me realize my attempt of putting reverse was ignored.

Do you lack possibility of putting reverse from flappy paddles? we can do Neutral when we pull both paddles simulatanously, but no reverse. I'm thinking about developing new device for my webshop which does this (say for safety you first press simultanously both paddles, and then say do double pull on left paddle and only works if speed is ~0). I wonder if there would be enough interested people who whould buy such device, so if it is worth I invest into development/production version/automated tester etc (I would need approx 200 units sold at least over say first year). ALternativelly I will just mock up one prototype device for myself.

·
Registered
717 Posts
very funny :) did you driven in manual gear stick position? I do not pay attention at the stick or instrument cluster gear displayed while quickly comming to say parking and need reverse - I automatically grab the stick, press button and move it forward, and I expect it to be in R as it is when I'm in automatic mode. In manual mode it doesnt go into reverse though. Don't you thing it is odd and wrong design that in manual mode you can't engage reverse? Why woudl they block it?

I repeated the same just 20 minutes ago - I was doing some acceleration tests on side area where it was safe to do so, and when I started doing tests in manual mode, first time I was doing reversing, I again did what I do everyday to put reverse, and nearly hit the kerb as again bloody gearbox ignored the reverse command while in manual mode. maybe when I develop device for putting reverse through flappy paddles, I will add also beeper which will alarm when there is attempt to put reverse but while in manual?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
very funny :) did you driven in manual gear stick position? I do nto pay attention at the stick or instrument cluster gear displayed while quickly commeing to say parking and need reverse - I automatically grap stick, press button and move it forward, and I expect it to be in R. In manual mode it doesnt go in manual mode. Don't you thing it is odd and wrong design? Why woudl they block reverse?
I just get don't get why pushing forwards gets reverse? My first auto box in my whole life and its so unintuitive?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just get don't get why pushing forwards gets reverse? My first auto box in my whole life and its so unintuitive?
this bit is not a problem for me, actually seems quite OK. also first automatic gearbox car for me ever.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Having Drive at the bottom makes it good, as you can just slam the old selector right down and drive off. I'm thinking the Jaguar J gate. Mercedes from 2000's etc. I'm not a huge fan of cars with other modes below Drive. Older automatics had 'S' and/or 'L' which just held in certain gears. As automatics got more gears they started to go down the gears to 3, 2, 1 etc.

When it comes to 'tiptronic' mode in certain automatics this is where I have my biggest bug bear. Usually you push the lever to the side when in drive and then you can manually select a gear as such. Some cars have push it forward for going up. Which is kind of intuitive at forward, is up, or higher gear. But in a manual if you push straight forward you go down a gear. Likewise for pulling down the gear lever in tiptronic mode. Some cars have it as changing down, as you are pulling the lever down. While others have it as changing up as in a manual transmission when pulling straight down you change up a gear. I prefer down for up, and up for down more than down for down and up for up.

Of course with newer cars you can just change gear with the paddles at any time. In which I prefer cars with two paddles. One paddle for up, and one for down. Rather than push forward for up, and pull back for down for example. Or paddles on both sides for up and separate buttons on both sides for down.
Funny you should say that as my Audi would changed down when pulling back on the gear lever and I thought it was a terrible idea and hated it. To me that seems totally counterintuitive. Thankfully the Alfa changes up when you pull back which for me is the natural reaction when wanting to change up a gear. Perhaps this came from my first experiences of sequential gearboxes was watching touring car racing etc and the in cab camera would always show them pulling back for an up shift then 2 or 3 pumps forwards as the bends approach and they need to downshift. I could not figure out why Audi did it the other way round but interesting to read that some people prefer it that way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
one thing which bothers me is that in manual gear change mode, you can't put reverse. a few times I tried to use manual gear change, I ended up nearly crashing something in front of my car while doing parking manouvers, as I pressed button on the stick and moved stick forward,I was believing I'm in reverse, in fact still in D. not sure what was reason behind this when AR developed the car- I do not see any, but even if it was, there should be clear alarm beep or something to let me realize my attempt of putting reverse was ignored.

Do you lack possibility of putting reverse from flappy paddles? we can do Neutral when we pull both paddles simulatanously, but no reverse. I'm thinking about developing new device for my webshop which does this (say for safety you first press simultanously both paddles, and then say do double pull on left paddle and only works if speed is ~0). I wonder if there would be enough interested people who whould buy such device, so if it is worth I invest into development/production version/automated tester etc (I would need approx 200 units sold at least over say first year). ALternativelly I will just mock up one prototype device for myself.
Surely this is a safety feature? No auto I have ever driven has allowed you to select reverse when in manual mode. When in auto you only ever move the gear lever to move into park or neutral or reverse. When in auto you are consistently pushing and pulling the gear lever and if reverse was an option you could inadvertently engage reverse. Personally, I wouldn't want that feature. When in manual and I need to park or reverse its 2nd nature to pull the lever accros to auto first.

·
Registered
717 Posts
my nature is that I'm driving only in automatic (+ flappy paddles all the time, so half-manual say), and I get used to that when I need to go to reverse, I just press button and move stick forward. when ocassionally I try manual, I do not get out of my habbit, so do exactly the same without too much thinking, and every now and again the issue happens.

I'm not sure what safe is in rejecting reverse in manual mode, especially as there is no say beep indicating driver did something what was ignored by gearbox and nearly hitting something (or somebody in front expecting that car will move backwards) - this is against safety, not what I'm trying to do IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts