Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts
I wouldn't call it a Ratner exactly - since he's attacking others, not his own product.

Sour grapes perhaps? But probably got a reasonable amount of truth in it.

I am subscribed to newletters from a high end audio seller, but purely to laugh at the latest fools gold they're trying to sell. Usually it's extension cords for several hundred pounds, but I was particularly impressed at the creative thought which came up with a 13A fuse for £24.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
He's not really telling anything we don't
already know.

It's been like that for years with gold-plated-this and oxygen-free-that.

But people want to be seen as in-the-know
and able to pay the premium for prestige
products.

Just look at people paying £500
for a telephone that costs £150.
Or a car for £50k that costs £20k.

Nice pop at the HiFi press too.

The fuse is marketing genius.
Emperor's new clothes there, for sure.
I'd feel the need to slap any mate who said they'd
bought one, mind.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Ashley James said:
You've got some hi-fi systems with £80 worth of components inside being sold for £2,750.
And the magazine reviewers are just not good enough to tell the difference.

Hmm reminds me of some car magazines......

:lol:

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The fuses in my old screw back fused plugs are a sort of greeny/brown, should I replace them?

I have checked the later sealed type plug fuses, and they appear to be a sort of dull silvery colour? :confused:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
ZF. They are copper will go green over time but it's not
really an issue at 220V 13A. ;)

The newer ones are just a tin alloy I would guess.

G

·
The guy is right, and the same still applies in 2014. I used to have one of his firm's AVI preamps, it cost £700 20 years ago but it was genuinely worth it because it had innovative circuitry, was genuinely 'state of the art' (overworked term) and sounded amazing with other good quality gear. And it was a lot cheaper than other similar units from other manufacturers.

But the level of bullsh*t in hi-fi is truly staggering ad there are always plenty of people with more money than sense.

The basic maxim ALWAYS applies in hi-fi: if you can hear a difference, is it an improvement? And if so, can you justify the extra cost of that improvement? The law of diminishing returns is true enough too, as you go 'up the scale' you have to spend more and more for smaller improvements. But if you can't hear if something is better, then it isn't.

The biggest bullsh*t is normally with cables and interconnects. I bought some very nice (and very expensive) ATC active studio monitors for my set up, at the time of the AVI unit. I spent ages listening to them and comparing them with other speakers, on different programme material, before I bought them.

I was bemused by the dazzling array of 'quality interconnects' to go from my pre-amp to the speakers, so I phoned up ATC to ask them what they thought. They guy on the other end was quite amused and told me to go to my local Maplin and buy plain Belden mic cable, just a simple twisted pair with a foil shield, and solder on some XLR plugs myself. Just out of interest, I borrowed some other interconnects from the shop where I bought the speakers, to compare. The leads I made up came to about £15 the pair, including professional XLR's (the cable was a fiver). The others from the shop were about £70 and £100. The £70 stuff sounded no different, but the £100 stuff was appalling because it had such a strange capacitance that it loaded the signal and took off loads of the HF.

PS - the firm is AVI, not HFI ;)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Owner of a local hifi shop told me he'd be happy to sell me speaker cable at £70 a meter but I'd be better off getting some shielded 2 core electrical cable from RS.

I did, it's chunky but works fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts