Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and thanks for spending your time on this query. I have a CD stuck in my 156 (2004) CD player and was thinking about upgrading my stero. I have not seen one that i like as i love the way the inside (and outside) of the car looks. I was thinking of maybe just having a rear Aux attached so that i could perhaps play my MP3 player through it. I know there is an attachment for the Ipod (Ice) but is there a similar connection for an MP3 Player?
Next questions would be how mush will it cost to fit. I have been told to visit my local dealer but there is no local dealers in the south east of Ireland, lol.
Also anyone any advise on how to get the CD out of my player. Have tried all the usual things and i am just about to take it apart. Thanks for the help guys.

N

·
0 Posts
Probably not worth paying to get it repaired or replaced.

There are plenty of good HU with all sorts
of MP3 and Bluetooth capabilities now available.

Check out the B&M/ICE lounge for some ideas.
;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

So does anyone have a CD Player in their car with a rear or front Aux that they think is as nice looking as the original in the 156?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Free MP3/iPod Connection
(via units headphone out, so no MP3/iPod control, doesn't charge either).
(CD changer ignores any CD in the headunit - leave it stuck)

For those of you playing at home you will need:

1 x OEM radio code to suit your…
1 x OEM Blaupunkt headunit from your facelift 156 with a
1 x OEM blue blanking plug (already in the headunit – no pins, or buy one from Halfords with the pins)
1 x Old iPod headphones or Stereo RCA lead with correct iPod headphone jack
1 x 15cm length of thick speaker wire (I used monster, it was laying around)
1 x roll sticky tape

RECIPE:
1. Remove headunit, you’ve got the code right?
2. Remove blue blanking plug.
3. Looking at the front of the blue plug, the first pins (your left) on the top and bottom rows need to be shorted.
- Cut small section of stiff thick speaker wire, bare edges but don’t twist.
- Stick it in the pin hole(s). This fools the head unit into thinking you have a CD changer.

4. Take your headphones or RCA cable – cut of the headphones or RCA plugs.
- Bare wires and connect to some more short lengths of speaker cable – note polarity so you get the phases right.
- Push the connected speaker wire into the following pins in much the same way as step 3
- 1st channel is pin 2(+) and 3(-) on the top (from the left again)
- 2nd channel is pin 3(+) on the middle row and pin3(-) on the bottom row

5. Plug it all back in and test (without fitting to dash), if it’s all good remove blue plug and put tiny drops of silicon in holes to secure wire WITHOUT ruining connection.

or you could buy this from Car Audio Direct - it's on sale, although their is conflicting advice if they work with the OEM headunit
How do you post pictures in here??:D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Moved to ICE:)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I was thinking of maybe just having a rear Aux attached so that i could perhaps play my MP3 player through it. I know there is an attachment for the Ipod (Ice) but is there a similar connection for an MP3 Player?
most aftermarket headunits cater for an auxiliary input. some provide the native socket (eg: 3.5mm jack/socket) which is often at the FRONT (if that matters). other models have a generic socket (eg: alpine have what they call 'Ai-NET'; pioneer have 'P-bus'; etc), for which you need to buy the relevant adaptor to connect up (eg: alpine KCA-121B adaptor plugs into Ai-NET socket and provides 2x RCA(phono) terminals); KCA-235B provides minijack).

for some ideas on what headunits you could consider, check this recent thread:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/140341-156-facelift-cd-unit-replacement.html

:)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I didnt see this above but if its there I apologise.

To remove the "stuck" CD it may be possible to use the small "eject" hole on the front of the unit. Its about paper clip size and MAY enable you to eject the CD if you wiggle a paperclip down it.

Paulus

D

·
0 Posts
Craig, that bodge only works on certain versions of the Alfa (Blaupunkt) headunit and didn't work on mine. Worth a try before forking out for a new headunit or a cable.

I had to buy a £100 'interface' from Dension which tied me down to an ipod. I would so dearly love to have the old Creative MP3 player back, it did so much more and sounded so much nicer but at the time no-one did a 3.5mm headphone jack for the Alfa stereo so I was tied down to an ipod.

Modern MP3 players have just about made CDs obsolete, why carry 20 or so CDs around in a case when you can have hundreds of albums sat in your pocket? Well worth getting an MP3 player in the car what ever way you go about getting it connected Blankpage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice guys really appreciated. I have Friday off work so i know what i am doing this Friday. Thanks again all. I just know i will have about 100 questions for you all very soon.

Blankpage.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Craig, that bodge only works on certain versions of the Alfa (Blaupunkt) headunit and didn't work on mine. Worth a try before forking out for a new headunit or a cable.

really ?!- **** eh, doesn't really suprise me :lol:
still, it's a free bodge and worth a go:thumbs:

Anybody know if the blaupunkt bluetooth unit I linked from Car Audio works.. i'm keen to try it out

... and how do you link to pictures..
Pic Link (not mine)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got the same problem, the stereo does not sound right, mite look at changing the speakers, however till than i just bought my self a fm radio transmitter, i will be hooking up my creative 60gb mp3 with it, and leaving the standard cd player in, lets see how that goes, hopefully the audio quality is not sacrificed..
Cheers
really ?!- **** eh, doesn't really suprise me :lol:
still, it's a free bodge and worth a go:thumbs:

Anybody know if the blaupunkt bluetooth unit I linked from Car Audio works.. i'm keen to try it out

... and how do you link to pictures..
Pic Link (not mine)

D

·
0 Posts
An FM transmitter is probably the worst quality way of getting sound into your stereo if you're worried about audio quality. If you can get a wired connection to the CD changer port at the back it will sound far better.

They didn't do an input for a Creative player when I bought the car, hopefully someone's brought out a 3.5mm headphone jack input by now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't really know how to access the back of the cd player, without damaging the orginal settings, last resort is i will change the headunit, to something decent....

An FM transmitter is probably the worst quality way of getting sound into your stereo if you're worried about audio quality. If you can get a wired connection to the CD changer port at the back it will sound far better.

They didn't do an input for a Creative player when I bought the car, hopefully someone's brought out a 3.5mm headphone jack input by now.

D

·
0 Posts
Bend a couple of bits of wire (old coat hangers are good) to fit the 4 circular holes in the corners of the stereo. Push in, pull out and the stereo will pop out at you.

Easy as that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Added 3.5mm aux cable to an 03 reg 147

Free MP3/iPod Connection
(via units headphone out, so no MP3/iPod control, doesn't charge either).
(CD changer ignores any CD in the headunit - leave it stuck)

For those of you playing at home you will need:

1 x OEM radio code to suit your…
1 x OEM Blaupunkt headunit from your facelift 156 with a
1 x OEM blue blanking plug (already in the headunit – no pins, or buy one from Halfords with the pins)
1 x Old iPod headphones or Stereo RCA lead with correct iPod headphone jack
1 x 15cm length of thick speaker wire (I used monster, it was laying around)
1 x roll sticky tape

RECIPE:
1. Remove headunit, you’ve got the code right?
2. Remove blue blanking plug.
3. Looking at the front of the blue plug, the first pins (your left) on the top and bottom rows need to be shorted.
- Cut small section of stiff thick speaker wire, bare edges but don’t twist.
- Stick it in the pin hole(s). This fools the head unit into thinking you have a CD changer.

4. Take your headphones or RCA cable – cut of the headphones or RCA plugs.
- Bare wires and connect to some more short lengths of speaker cable – note polarity so you get the phases right.
- Push the connected speaker wire into the following pins in much the same way as step 3
- 1st channel is pin 2(+) and 3(-) on the top (from the left again)
- 2nd channel is pin 3(+) on the middle row and pin3(-) on the bottom row

5. Plug it all back in and test (without fitting to dash), if it’s all good remove blue plug and put tiny drops of silicon in holes to secure wire WITHOUT ruining connection.

or you could buy this from Car Audio Direct - it's on sale, although their is conflicting advice if they work with the OEM headunit
How do you post pictures in here??:D
Great guide, thanks very much. I've just done it with success on an 03 reg 147. I bought a cable with the 3.5mm headphone jack wired into the blue Blaupunkt socket from amazon. It was stated as not working with OEM headunits but I added the extra wire to short the data in and data out ports in the blue plug and bingo. I just used some plug wire to do the short. The radio was a bit of a pain to get back in all the way, but it was also pretty hard to get out so I think there just isn't much room for the cables behind it. I used 3 little torx screwdrivers and an allen key to fit into all 4 holes at once and wiggled them about to shuffle the radio out. I cable-tied the CD changer's blue plug (the one that was replaced by my new cable) to the other cables to stop it falling out of sight forever. I fed the 3.5mm aux cable down a little hole on the right of the radio JUST behind the faceplate and somehow managed to get the other end to fall through an opening in the driver footwell :) it tucks into the storage space behind the cigarette lighter. Now I can listen to some awesome tunes in high quality woooo! Pics are copied below.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts