Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
norbert said:
To my eyes it looks like a cross betwwen a Lamborghini Gallardo and an Audi TT.
'cos that's exactly what it is. :rolleyes:

I reckon they've done that so they've got a junior super car when they sell off Lambo. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
457 Posts
MARK 147S1 said:
I'd still rather have the 8C Competizione though.:cool:
But that's £30k more expensive and not very attainable for more than the lucky few who got in early.

Yet to see the R8 in the flesh but I think it makes a welcome alternative to a 911. Having had two 996s and now 911s having become more common in London than a Mondeo, it is good to have another feasible everyday supercar. From the reviews I have seen, it is (as is the RS4) a doddle to drive and ride comfort is superb for a sports car. Only thing that worries me is the lack of space which Porsche always do really well on.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I teach a lad on Fridays who's obsessed with Alfas - his dad has a 156 2.5 V6 - but he came to a lesson a week or two back excitedly asking if I'd seen the Audi R8. I said I had, but that he needed to go home and find a picture of the 8C on the internet.

He did, and oddly he's not mentioned the R8 since..... :p

·
Registered
457 Posts
jonwood79 said:
I teach a lad on Fridays who's obsessed with Alfas - his dad has a 156 2.5 V6 - but he came to a lesson a week or two back excitedly asking if I'd seen the Audi R8. I said I had, but that he needed to go home and find a picture of the 8C on the internet.

He did, and oddly he's not mentioned the R8 since..... :p
Why do people insist on comparing things that are totally different. The 8C is a limited run halo product that is well over £100k, pre-sold, will have Ferrari running & owning costs but will be a classic collectors item. The R8 is a 911 competitor, £76k, will be in production for a good few years, will be a more practical everyday supercar (as the 911), but will depreciate (in the longer run as waiting lists are still over 2 years despite Audi asking for more deposit) and is unlikely to be a classic (well at least in the same way as the 8C).

I also guarantee that the R8 will look a lot better in the flesh. Photos don't seem to work - it does look too much like a TT, but in reality (according to those who have seen it close up in Paris) it is much bigger, bigger than a Gallardo so being quite low as well it will I am sure look extremely agressive...much more so than a 911.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Its a nice car...but as will all Audi's...and maybe all German cars, there is missing something, that sense of emotion I suppose, that you get with Alfa's. I bet it will be dead boring inside tho. I've already read somewhere that the engine sounds great on the outside, but you can't really hear it on the inside.

·
Registered
180 Posts
virage1 said:
Why do people insist on comparing things that are totally different. The 8C is a limited run halo product that is well over £100k, pre-sold, will have Ferrari running & owning costs but will be a classic collectors item. The R8 is a 911 competitor, £76k, will be in production for a good few years, will be a more practical everyday supercar (as the 911)
Totally different is stretching it a bit for 2 exclusive one off 2 seater sportscars that differ 30%? in price dont you think?
Anyway they are just 2 very out of reach desirable sportscars too most.

virage1 said:
I also guarantee that the R8 will look a lot better in the flesh. Photos don't seem to work - it does look too much like a TT, but in reality it is much bigger, bigger than a Gallardo so being quite low as well it will I am sure look extremely agressive...much more so than a 911.
After having seen it drive by on track a few times I can concurr it did look big.
It looked like a bigger TT that was squashed at the back, bit of Testa Rossa like dimension proportions there (amateur associations here).

But after observing it a few times (I definitely was exited at seeing one in the flesh in action) it just could not find it working for me, despite the dimensions it did not give me the impression of a supercar, as far as I am concerned it was bland :eek:

Mind you this was a black one so that can influence things.

my2c

·
Registered
457 Posts
Jochie_155 said:
But after observing it a few times (I definitely was exited at seeing one in the flesh in action) it just could not find it working for me, despite the dimensions it did not give me the impression of a supercar, as far as I am concerned it was bland :eek:

Mind you this was a black one so that can influence things.

my2c
And I am just guessing from what people have said at the motor show so I might think it looks terrible in the flesh! Still think it looks like the alien from Alien.

I like what I have seen of the interior so far but it does look functional. Looked more exciting than a 997 interior though.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
its a gallardo in drag, the rear suspension is an update of the gallardo, and will feature in the new gallardo, id rather have a gallardo:D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Indeed £76k vs £125k plus...depreciation will be better in the R8 too because of this. Agree money no object...Gallardo...but R8 makes more financial sense

1 - 20 of 21 Posts