43,564 Posts

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B

·
0 Posts
Here is a link for the new Audi A5/S5 - worrying quote from Walter da Silva: 'the most beautiful I have designed in my career' - can he be serious............??????????????:confused: :confused: :(

has he forgotten his beautiful Alfa 156.

http://motorshow.cars.uk.msn.com/motorshow/geneva2007/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=3824692

Walter is now offically German! :)
Has he forgotten the 156? I'd agree with you totally - yes he has! The A5 is an OK-looking car, but I can't really see what's different to the current Audi crop:

Slab-sided and heavy overall architecture? Check
Silly oversized front grille? Check
Oversized mirrors? Check
Generic VAG fog-light and lower splitter arrangement? Check
"Corporate" boring alloys? Check

OK car, but I suppose he has to say that it's his best or his bosses at VAG might be wondering why :lol:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
IIRC, walter di what's his chops said: "the audi is the most beautful car i have designed, even more so than the 156. And you know how much i love the 156'.

The audi A5 looks like one of those uber-cool cars; at first you think wow, it has such a unassuming grace, and serene beauty.

Then a few days later you look at and think 'actually, it's a pretty boring car to look at.'

I bet it depreciates like there's no tomorrow, too.

Blue Evo - your strap line about the "Shine on you crazy diamond'; where's that from please? I like it.

g

B

·
0 Posts
IIRC, walter di what's his chops said: "the audi is the most beautful car i have designed, even more so than the 156. And you know how much i love the 156'.

The audi A5 looks like one of those uber-cool cars; at first you think wow, it has such a unassuming grace, and serene beauty.

Then a few days later you look at and think 'actually, it's a pretty boring car to look at.'

I bet it depreciates like there's no tomorrow, too.

Blue Evo - your strap line about the "Shine on you crazy diamond'; where's that from please? I like it.

g
It's from Pink Floyd's song "Shine on you Crazy Diamond", which can be found on the "Wish You Were Here" album. It was written by the band about their former bandmate Syd Barrett.

I love it too; it was a hard job to pick one of their lines though - to me they are all pretty near genius!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
cool, cheers for that boss.

I like the fact that it's about a person. I guess they had a lot of affection for Syd?

g

B

·
0 Posts
cool, cheers for that boss.

I like the fact that it's about a person. I guess they had a lot of affection for Syd?

g
No worries :) Yeah, Syd was the founder and early driver of the band before he sadly slipped into a breakdown...the band never really seemed to get over it and much of their later stuff was written abut him and their experiences with him.

Absolutely awesome band - they don't make them like they used to! :cool:

·
Registered
269 Posts

g
Is he admitting that the 156 was originally based on a concept by Giorgetto Giugiaro, so not really his?

Walter de Silva is a very good designer. The A5 looks fine but it seems to be derivative, there are a lot better looking coupés about. His past work is better. Leaving aside what he did at Alfa, the cars he designed at Seat are much better than anything he has done at Audi.

Just noticed the sidelights, seems to be a bit of a style bypass there...

·
Registered
75 Posts
the RS-4 convertible looks better in my opimion. Im going to stir the nest here, but i think the 156 is only really really hot looking in GTA form.
The newer GT looks better in base form I feel.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
OK car, but I suppose he has to say that it's his best or his bosses at VAG might be wondering why :lol:
That's it in a nutshell.

The design brief is constricted by the need to keep the corporate image/design cues. :rolleyes:

His opinions are constricted by the person paying his paycheck. :tut:

It would be interesting to ask him the same question after he retires. ;)

Is he admitting that the 156 was originally based on a concept by Giorgetto Giugiaro, so not really his?
Is that true? :confused:

Kiwi Sprint, I also think the GT looks "better" than the 156, but I'd say the 156 is a pretty sexy looking car as well :)
Strangely enough, I think the 156 (standard or GTA) looks far better than the GT, but everyone to their own, eh? ;)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
He has to say this stuff, it's probably in his contract :p

If I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't be able to tell it apart from an A4 or an A6 or an A8 or the coupe one, can't remember what it.... the TT, that's the one. For a sleek & sexy new coupe it's landed fairly squarely on the dull side of the tracks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts