Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my GTV V6 for the summer, 2nd car fun.

Looking for a stunning every day car and £12k gets a top spec 2009 A5. Love the way this car looks and the interiors are top end.

Does anyone own one and is it as good as it looks? ... Will be a 2.0 to 2.7 TDI as I do 30k p.a.

What do I need to look out for?

Cheers
P.

·
Registered
36,027 Posts
Early cars scored badly on JD Power . Was going to be A4 Coupe but Walter DaSilva got an extra year to work on it !

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've well got the horn for a black Quattro subject to budget and beige leathers. FWD model is probably more likely.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Had some twonk in a 2.0 A5 driving like a ***** trying to race me tonight (even though I wasn't racing just making progress) surprisingly quick considering its a 4 pot and mines a twin turbo V6 though.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
My pal had a 2.7 Coupe and now has a 3.0 Quattro Cabriolet.

The 3.0 has the extra punch the 2.7 lacked. I imagine the 2.0 to be quite sedate.

·
Registered
38,442 Posts
Nice, but I think I would rather have a 335i coupe BMW (E92)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good feedback here... Yes, interior is a big selling point with this car. Its totally class act. Personally not a fan of BM's as I think each design gets very dated by its next replacement.

Are there any potential gremlins or is it pretty bullet proof?

We also have a 59 plate Touran from new and its needed nothing than scheduled services, set of tyres and wipers!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Interior and insulation are Audi's strongpoints. If you enjoy driving, you might find all that isolation a bit boring, though.

However, WarrantyDirect says they're something of a shed (link), with engine and electricals being the major problem areas, as is typical of VW. However, the image on that profile is of an A4 Cabriolet, so I'm wondering if they've got the right car at all...

For context: those scores suggest that it's very slightly less likely to go wrong than an Alfa 147, but a bit more expensive to repair when it does, and so overall it's rated as a worse car.

·
Registered
36,027 Posts
Last time I spoke to a dad at my sons school who's gone from Audi main dealer tech to his own independent Audi garage he told me "a cars a car" but mentioned a Q7 that "Audi wanted nothing to do with" that he was working on. Google search for A5 issues and you'll get an idea.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
A colleague at work has a 3.0 TDi. It is fantastic and a car I'd have tomorrow. Not aware of any major issues. His is a 2007 car I think, maybe 2008.
I've always liked the look of them since they came out. Pretty car.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'll hunt out a good 1-2 owner car with FASH and recent big belts service with a good warranty for peace of mind. I've considered several options with a C Class also on my list, but the A5 is a stunning looking machine and a very nice place to sit with the annual mileage I do.

Thanks for the inputs :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My mate has an A5 2.0 SE. Its an amazing car and the engine is sublime! He gets a steady 40mpg and it goes like stink. The dsg gearbox is simply superb. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm leaning on the Auto box, as plan to keep it for a few years and I very much enjoyed Mercs box in the new SLK I rented for my south of France holiday. Plus I think it's a more desired option on a Lux car.

That's good mpg on a petrol, but I'll be going diesel.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Be careful about which "DSG" you get - it's not one part, but rather a marketing name to cover several gearboxes, some using dry clutches, some wet. One of the wet-clutch units, and the latest 7-speed dry-clutch (DSG7) have serious problems, and while I suspect the A5 doesn't use either of these problematic boxes, it's worth checking before you buy - especially if the car looks like a bargain.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
"S-Tronic" is the branding now used by Audi.

For reference, here's the "Audi name" to "what it actually is" list..

"Multitronic" = Continously Variable Transmission
"S-Tronic 6" = 6-Speed Dual-clutch transmission, wet clutches
"S-Tronic 7" = 7-Speed Dual-clutch transmission, dry clutches
"Tiptronic" = Torque-converter automatic ("slushbox")
"R-Tronic" = Single-clutch robotised gearbox (like Alfa's Selespeed), R8 only.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts