Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In March 2005 I traded my 3-door 147 2.0 Lusso for an Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line (which I'm currently considering trading for a Brera, but that's another story). I thought you might be interested in my experiences of 18 months of Vorsprung Durch Technik: good and bad.

First, the good points :D :
  • The 2 litre turbocharged FSI engine (same as in the Golf GTi) is quite impressive. It pulls very strongly even at low revs and in high gears; it sounds good when you want it to but is quiet when cruising; and it's not too thirsty (38 mpg overall, I reckon).
  • The Quattro 4WD system feels very secure.
  • The boot's huge.
  • The interior light pack is good. You get a nice, subtle red ambient lighting from the roof console after dark.
  • It isn't a BMW.

Now, the bad points :( :
  • In less than 2 years the car's been off the road for 6 days for warranty work. Some of the "repairs" - notably to the remote locking and to the automatic boot opener - have required second visits.
  • The dealer - Europe's largest Audi dealer, apparently - are nothing special. They don't answer the phone or respond to e-mails; they return the car late.
  • The interior is a bit sombre: black dash, black leather seats, aluminium trim. My fault for specifying it, I suppose.:rolleyes:
  • Despite what you read about Audi's build quality, I've had a couple of problems with squeaks in the dash and seats. And I HATE squeaks and rattles in a car.:rant:
  • The storage pack option isn't much use. The under-seat drawers are too small, and I don't use the behind-seat nets (no need for maps with a satnav).
  • It isn't an Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Toonster said:
[*]The dealer - Europe's largest Audi dealer, apparently - are nothing special. They don't answer the phone or respond to e-mails; they return the car late.[/LIST]
Who is the dealer? Interested to know as I am getting an Audi in March (my first Audi)...wonder if they are in the same chain...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
virage1 said:
Who is the dealer? Interested to know as I am getting an Audi in March (my first Audi)...wonder if they are in the same chain...
They're called Glasgow Audi - a glitzy new showroom between Glasgow and Paisley. I suspect that the "Europe's largest" claim is based on showroom size rather than number of branches.

They haven't quite matched the laughably dismal standard of my Alfa dealer (Reg Vardy in Springburn), who couldn't reset the service indicator in my 147 because "we don't know anything about these cars", and once let me drive home - including a stretch of motorway - with my bonnet not closed properly. But Glasgow Audi certainly haven't provided the level of service I'd hoped for.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
That's unfortunate have you fed this back to AUDI UK, I'm sure they appreciate this as they believe their customer care is very good.

I've had no complaint's with our A3 in over 60K of motoring and it doesn't have any rattles or squeaks, when we took delivery we had a faulty body computer which meant the doors would unlock by themselves and the windows went up and down by themselves but this was replaced immediately and the car was returned fully valeted (as it is every time we have had it serviced).

On another AUDIesque note I just got the Winter AUDI Magazine and it has some good editorial on the new R8 plus a rather nice A3 poster (which will be going on the wall of my office at work).

In the covering letter they say that the whole of the R8 build allocation for 2007 is sold and they are presently filling the 2008 order book.

I'd be interested to know which one your going for Virage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GhostyDog said:
That's unfortunate have you fed this back to AUDI UK, I'm sure they appreciate this as they believe their customer care is very good.
I was tempted to, but just thought WTF.

I did write to Alfa about the circus masquerading as a dealership but didn't hear anything. I expect they're still trying to figure out how to open the envelope.

GhostyDog said:
When we took delivery we had a faulty body computer which meant the doors would unlock by themselves and the windows went up and down by themselves.
I had a similar experience - purely my own fault. If you keep the "unlock" button on the remote transmitter pressed down, all the car windows lower (press "lock", and they close). One evening I suppose I must have left the transmitter in my back pocket as I sat watching telly, and then gone to bed. When I went to the car next morning all the windows were down and it had been p*ssing with rain all night, so the carpets and seats were soaking. I spent the next couple of months driving everywhere with the heater on full blast and the seat heating turned up to maximum. I must have looked like a bloke driving a bright red steaming jacuzzi.

·
Registered
457 Posts
GhostyDog said:
I'd be interested to know which one your going for Virage.
We just bought a dog so the Cayman doesn't quite fit the bill any more! Have ordered an RS4 Avant which I am quite excited about...awesome blend of practicality and performance.

On the R8 note - I do have a deposit down but I have got no idea for when - I am struggling to get any sensible information about of Audi on potential delivery dates. I have seen a lot of people pulling there initial deposits as Audi were rumoured to be asking for an additional £10k but I haven't been asked yet which makes me think that my R8 is somewhere out in 2008 - so that'll probably be a no then.

Toonster - thanks for the info. Definitely good to feedback to Audi UK - i) so they get better, ii) so you get something for free, hopefully!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
virage1 said:
We just bought a dog so the Cayman doesn't quite fit the bill any more! Have ordered an RS4 Avant which I am quite excited about...awesome blend of practicality and performance.
Nice, I caught a re-run of Clarkson's race against the freeclimbers in the RS4, awesome review, I'd love to be able to splash out on something like that.

Maybe in a few years.

:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
on a VAG theme I have Just driven my Seat Leon 2tdi to the alps and back. Its loaded with sport pack, blue tooth, cruise etc.
Has to be said that it was effortless motoring and a 650mile run in a day was a doddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.