Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
46,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone with more mechanical nous than I can check my thinking?

My wife's car has a horrifically massive and unsightly phone cradle, like this (not my picture):

photo2_zps8382b8b0.jpg Photo by TimEdwards | Photobucket

We've no use for it - nor the cars own built in bluetooth for that matter, as we have an aftermarket head unit with built in bluetooth.

I want to remove that cradle, so I can fit a Brodit mount for a satnav instead. I know it will leave two holes in the console, but I'll cover one with the mount, and the other I believe a trim repairer can make all but invisible.

So, I've got to this stage (also not my picture):
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u364/bigrich690/photo-28.jpg

And hit a snag. Those connector blocks are too big to simply push into the holes and hide behind the dash.

Even though we will never need them , I'l loath to just snip them off, in case it does horrible damage to the electrics elsewhere.

However. Checking the fuse diagram, I see that fuse 8 is purely for the telephone. Using my phone to check, I have found that removing fuse 8 turns off the Audi's bluetooth, and putting it back in again reconnects it.

Does it seem reasonable to suppose that those wires go back only to the bluetooth module? And that therefore, if I have removed fuse 8, there is no harm in snipping them off?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm not familiar with that exact connector ( large black one ), but from what I can see, you can probably get the wires and block through the dash without snipping anything.

Look at the end of the connector in your photo. You'll see rectangular holes with a metal terminal visible in the hole.

I reckon, if you get a very small jewellers screwdriver ( or similar ) you can push on the metal tab visible in the rectangular hole. Then by gently pulling on the wire and maybe trying to slide the terminal back with the screwdriver, the wire and terminal will slide out. Make a note of which wire goes where and after you've pulled the wire bundle back through the dash you can reinsert the wires back into the connector block in the same locations.

One potential snag : the connector may have a secondary lock i.e. another physical method of preventing the terminal from exiting the connector block. If the connector has a secondary lock, you should be able to see how it works and disable it. The same secondary lock may work on all the terminals.

For example, in this photo the brown plastic thing is the secondary lock -
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Samples/2015-10-15_12-31-40_DSC_0001_zpslx296nhm.jpg

which just unclips and pulls out.

While on this type of connector, the rear of the connector is the secondary lock and once unclipped, it hinges out of the way.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums... view mirror/2012-09-26_14-44-24_DSC_0034.jpg

It'll take longer than cutting, but will be a better result. Also check you have enough cable to allow you to reinsert the terminals in the connector block when it's behind the dash!

The co-ax connector should also disassemble in a similar way but probably only requires the removal of the pink plastic housing. I can see little plastic tabs that hold the housing together.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Having looked again at the photo, if you get the pink coax wire back through, the larger black connector may just fit through the hole.

·
Administrator
46,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what? You're absolutely right that the black connector in that picture will fit through the dash hole if the purple one isn't in the way.

What I hadn't spotted when I stole that picture to post, was that it's not the same connector I was faced with. But when I realised that, I had a closer look at the connector I do have - and found that it's kind of a sheath - an adaptor which fits around the connector in that picture to make it fit our cradle, and which also adds enough bulk to it to stop it threading through the dash.

With that realised, I was able to work out how to remove the outer connector, so I was left with what's in the picture - and fit it through the dash exactly as you suggest.

Cheers for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts