Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Alfa lovers,

I posted this on the 33 and Sud lounge twice and no one seems to have a clue. So I'm looking for help elsewhere.

I've got to change the crankshaft along with the all the bearings on my 33 1.3. The new bearings I have are Clevite, and they look like they're aluminum with a babbit coating. My mechanic (non alfa) says those bearings won't handle a beating under no circumstances; he says I have to install the Tri Metal Type, which are almost impossible to find here in Argentina. I was fortunate enough to get a brand new crankshaft for U$D 200. Sending e-mails to Clevite hasn't helped either, no responses yet.

My car is currently running perfect with the old repaired crank until I change it with the new one. The bearings I used for that repair are Sud bearings and they seem to work fine, but I havn't driven the car past 3500 rpm, as the mechanic recommened.

If anyone knows what bearings are OK to use please let me know, regardless of the Alfa you drive. All Alfa models have high output engines, so I guess the type of bearing material in them shouldn't vary too much.

I'm really missing taking my 33 to 4500 rpm and feeling the push on my back :(

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Diego

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi Diego,

I hope you find an answer soon, sorry I can't help with your technical queries... I have just got my Alfa back from the garage so I can enjoy it again.

I have very good memories of driving on the excellent roads in the hills around Córdoba (Villa Carlos Paz hasta Capila del Monte, San Roque etc.)

Not in an Alfa :( , but an Italian car nonetheless :D - a Fiat Siena 1.6

Sos de Córdoba capital?

Saludos desde Irlanda

-Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nick,

Nice to find an other "Argentino" on the board.

"Che Boludo" couldn't be mistaken for anything but an Argentine :)

I am now residing in Cordoba Capital, and on weekends I visit my parents at Capilla del Monte, so I know what you mean about the excellent hills and highways. I'm also sure you know how hard $$$ it is to own an Alfa here in Argentina.

Anyways, I'm glad you got your car back from the garage.

Saludos desde Cordoba Capital,

Diego

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I'm still here. :cool:

Just insulted that some one calls me the "Holy Guard", WTF, I'm Lucifer reincarnated :mad: :mad: :D

No honestly. I think you'll be fine with the bearings you bought. Clevite is a renowned brand/material, and if they were made to fit the boxer engine, I can't see any problems using them with your new crankshaft. But since you are having doubts about this, it makes me wonder why you haven't bought the original ones ?

Good luck

Cheers

Hoygaard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Hoygaard, sorry for the misspelling :)

To tell the truth, the bearings I bought are sold as originals, coming direct from Italy. The first kit I bought were Federal Mogul, but when you look at the bearing it says Clevite stamped on it. The second kit I bought are supposed to be AE (Absolute Excellence), and they had a bright red alfa tape around them reading "Ricambi Originali". But again, when you look at the bearing it says Clevite.

The shop manual I have for the 33 is from 1988, and it doesn't specify the material type for the bearings, just dimensions and clearances, so you can see that I'm sort of in a dark spot right now.

Since you mentioned it, do you know which ones are the originals?
Or in anycase, I'd like to know what experiences did you have in changing engine bearings on other Alfas. You can contact me at [email protected], or here at this board.

Thanks for the response and I hope I can come to a solution.

Diego

Just for anyone who's curious, and needs to change bearings in the future, here are some links with the latest changes in bearing manufactures.

www.aptfast.com/APT_Parts/Bseries_Parts/b_Bearings.htm

http://www.federal-mogul.com/ae/index.html

·
Registered
943 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Diego Guerrero:
<strong>

Nice to find an other "Argentino" on the board.

"Che Boludo" couldn't be mistaken for anything but an Argentine :)
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ja, la verdad es que no soy argentino, soy irlandés :) , pero viví en BsAs por un año.

Sí tengo parientes allá y me gustaría regresar, pero ahorita mismo no me convienen los temas de laburo y visa... vamos a ver lo que pasa dentro de unos meses.

No vi muchas Alfas en Argentina, pero siquiera antes de la devaluación costaban mucho, no?

Saludos,
Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts