Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dude,

When you going to Italia? Everything sorted?

Planning and paying for my trip now. And Alfa Romeo Museum my first stop.. lol

Reactions: Speenvark

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Riaan, I am leaving on the 7th June, first stop at Milan, then Cinque Terra, then Florence and finally Rome and fly off to Barcelona for my second leg, Madrid, Seville, Valencia and back to Barcelona. Back to Joburg on the 25th.

Everything are booked, gonna use a 500 on the first day in Milan and straight from the airport to Arese. Worked out not much difference between taxi call-out and a 500 for a day.

I am using the Tren Italia and Italo Treno for the inter city transport.

I cannot wait for the Alfa Museum, the 33 Tipo and 8C are better be there.

Reactions: Speenvark

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riaan, I am leaving on the 8th June, first stop at Milan, then Cinque Terra, then Florence and finally Rome and fly off to Barcelona for my second leg, Madrid, Seville, Valencia and back to Barcelona. Back to Joburg on the 25th.

Everything are booked, gonna use a 500 on the first day in Milan and straight from the airport to Arese. Worked out not much difference between taxi call-out and a 500 for a day.

I am using the Trent Italia and Italo Traino for the inter city transport.

I cannot wait for the Alfa Museum, the 33 Tipo and 8C are better be there.
Cool im leaving on the 15th of June.. Using ItaliaRail to get between cities.

Everything booked.

Doing North to South trip.

Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome ,Naples, Sorrento, Capri (then fly back to Milan and then back to SA).

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If the displays are still the same as last year, they will have various examples of the 33 there, including three of the rebodied concepts, and the 8C prototype.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Riaan, sounds awesome as you are also doing the South as well. Don't be surprised when someone tap your shoulder and call you Riaan in Italy.

Giorget2, yup, I am hoping to get my Alfa certificate there as well. I can't wait...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The same certificate that you guys spoke of. It will get your Alfa details on it and will be issued by Arese.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I never spoke of such a thing. I didn't know it existed.

If I knew it existed, I would have gotten one when I was there. :irked:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh, I think that was Alastpa then.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They had a feature on RPM on the Alfa museum ...so many cars,definitely worth the visit. Any time for you guys to visit Ferrari museum?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Very near the Alfa museum is also Zagato. They have a big car collection in there. Not generally open to the public, though. You could try to get in.

Also, right next door to the Zagato facility is the small factory of Carozzeria Touring Superlegerra.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They had a feature on RPM on the Alfa museum ...so many cars,definitely worth the visit. Any time for you guys to visit Ferrari museum?
Nope.. Only have time for one of the two (and Ill go for the new Alfa museum). At least I can say I have been inside the Maserati manufacturing plant before. So guess that counts for something. So much to do so little time sadly.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yup, agreed, for now, i am only going to the Alfa Museum and my wife cannot wait to get there as well. I just checked, it is 12 Euro per person. It is well worth it.

I will see if i can get to the Zagato one as well, my i only have 2 days in Milan, might not have enough time. Gonna be a good excuse to go back to Italy again.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It's literally just down the street.

Problem is, unless you're good at talking your way into places, you can't just stroll up and visit. It's normally invitation-only, or if you have business there, you get to walk past the cars in the foyer.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Oh, and in Milan, everyone will try to get you to go and see one of the most over-rated paintings in the world. The Last Supper.

Don't waste your time. The demand to see it is so high that you are ushered through with a crush of other people, get to ogle at it for a few moments, and then you have to leave, all for many many Euros.

As I mentioned, the painting itself is over-rated as a work of Renaissance art, and the "original" in Milan is so faded and damaged and painted-over by restorations, that it really isn't much to look at. If you want to see the picture much better, go to the chapel of Magdalen College at Oxford. A contemporary copy of the painting Giampietrino, who worked with Da Vinci in Milan, hangs there. It is owned by the Royal Academy of the Arts in London - a fine private institution that gets no government or Crown funding.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yeah, the Mona Lisa is pretty similar, but even more people go to see it. Roughly 15 000 to 20 000 per day.

The Mona Lisa wasn't even considered anything particularly special until it was stolen in 1911. It is indeed of much greater artistic merit and significance than the Last Supper, but still not the kind of wonderful and awe-inspiring object that most people think it is.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yup, not going for the Last Supper, more interested in the Sforza Castle and the Duomo, maybe the San Siro stadium, since I am a supporter of AC Milan, since I was 10...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yes, I would recommend all three of those. The stadium is interesting even for people who are simply fans of architecture and not football.

Castello Sforzeca is great. Check the times for the interior museums carefully - they have free entry sometimes if you don't want to pay the €6 or €8 or whatever the admittance to the interior collections is. The antics of the feral cats around the castle are fun to watch too.
For food, try not to eat near the castle, as most of the places there seemed to cater almost exclusively to tourists and don't have the greatest food, although it's pretty cheap.

The Duomo is interesting, but I am personally not such a big fan of the mish-mash of styles and extreme levels of ornamentation that it displays. Impressive anyway.

Oh, and you are likely to be accosted by men who look to be of Central or North African origin, trying to clasp a little beaded bracelet around your wrist. They can be quite insistent. They will tell you that it is an "African friendship bracelet" and that because you now have it, you should give a donation "to help Africa". Obviously it is a massive scam. I found that loudly telling them "No! Leave me alone!" as they started sidling up, quickly made them start looking for an easier mark. The police try to keep them away, but they are very good at keeping an eye out for the police and disappearing behind pillars or fountains a little way away until the police are gone and then they start their scam again. I saw quite a few people being relieved of large Euro notes by these guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts