Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At what milage and age did your TS cam belt fail???

OK this is an attempt at a survey.. No long winded answers please
So if you have been unfortunate enough to suffer a failure..
please log the belt mileage and age..
cheers..

EDIT
ALSO..if you have a belt that is over the 36000 miles/ 3 years.. please log the mileage and age

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Really good idea.
Neither of mine have ever failed, however might it be a good idea to post it in the 147,156 gt forum.
Increase the sample size.
I could be totally of the mark with this but was the twinsparks in the 156 and 147 more prone than those in the gtv and 155?
It only seemed to be due to problems with the belts in the 156 and 147 that led to the revisions for all twin sparks.

I don't remember many problems being heard about the gtv, but then I was only 4 when mine was registered.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I don't wish to be a party pooper, but this has been done to death. Search in the 156 lounge, the engine lounge and indeed this one!

The plastic tensioner is well documented too. The search facility is your friend :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't wish to be a party pooper, but this has been done to death. Search in the 156 lounge, the engine lounge and indeed this one!

The plastic tensioner is well documented too. The search facility is your friend :)
Oh sorry forgot to tune my crystal ball in this morning..

I'll clear it with you next time ..

·
Registered
136 Posts

Actually, I have searched, and there is no thread like this that simply lists mileage and belt age, just lots of separate threads, sometimes only quoting mileage but not age. Therefore, this thread remains a good idea, in my opinion :)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Oh sorry forgot to tune my crystal ball in this morning..

I'll clear it with you next time ..
Calm down dear.

No need for a crystal ball, just the search function ;-)

I'll give you a Synopsis.

To avoid all risk, change the cam belt, tensioner, idler and water pump every 36k or 3 years.

A more realistic approach is taking into account that a great deal of the early failures were plastic tensioner related, no longer an issue. Other factors are a worn idler - not likely after 3 years or 36k or water pump bearing failure. The water pump on the Twinspark is actually a resilient piece of kit and will most likely, last up to , if not well past the original 72k stated.

Other factors to consider include temperatures, and how long the belt "sits" in one position while the car is not used, as well as the quality of the job in the first place.

All these things (and more besides) mean that is simply is not an exact science. I know of belts that failed very early and belts that have run and run. I know of belts breaking, stripping teeth and wearing to nothing. There is also the failures caused by the balance belt when the cam belt run would have been fine.

A list will be just that, a list. it wont tell us anything we don't already know.

But hey, it's not my party, if you want a list, make a list :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK
Here is my synopsis..
A number of people have expressed concern .. for one reason or another about cam belt service intervals.
As Mitch so eloquently expressed this is not an exact science.. In fact so inexact that after a number of premature failures Alfa simply halved the service interval.. All of this occurred quite early on in the life of the cars.
This action could have had more to do with commercial and financial issues than technical considerations.
Many years have passed and many cam belts have broken for various reasons. Indeed many cam belts have remained serviceable for much longer than the Alfa recommended interval.
Some of us thought that it may be an idea to collect data on failures and service over runs.
Because without data everything is guesswork.
Now it may not be possible to correlate any data .. But we will never know without it .. no thesis, therefore no antithesis, therefore no synthesis..
We are not encouraging anyone to neglect service intervals.. we are simply at this stage collecting data,
or making a "list" as Mitch put it.

Yes Mitch you are quite right, there is a search facility on this forum.. I feel that most people are aware of it and know how to use it.. But nevertheless I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for pointing it out to us.

However like Paul and some others, I have found that in this instance the search function does not cater entirely for my own personal research requirements at this time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
^Nicely put. It would be good just to see the list out of interest! It's much faster than searching and looking through all those posts on the subject, all the data in one handy to browse, er, LIST!

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Alright then i'll start the ball rolling. Currently sitting at 4years 5months and 43k miiles. Had the cover off at 3 years and belts were like new as did tensioner idler etc. I again had cover off over Christmas and still all appeared good. Im starting to get a twitchy bum so as soon as weather picks up i will change. Dayco Belts and idlers and tensioner and daily driver. My garage queens get changed every 3 years due to sitting idle mainly and for practice purposes.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's mine
when I bought the car it was at 80K and about 12 years old. 2008
I changed the belt straight away. it was fitted with a white plastic pulley and I had no documentary evidence that it had ever been changed.
the belt looked old but no cracks, fraying or tears..
changed it again in 2011.. about 100K.. I'll be changing it yet again this year..

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I personally think sitting idle are the belts biggest problem as you only ever hear of belt failures at relatively low speed/rpm, i have never heard of someone who was reving the nuts off having a belt failure. ....?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally think sitting idle are the belts biggest problem as you only ever hear of belt failures at relatively low speed/rpm, i have never heard of someone who was reving the nuts off having a belt failure. ....?
I think you are right.. tried turning a camshaft by hand?? Maybe the lower frequency pulses.. on chain drives like on bikes.. the chain rattles like hell at tickover..

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Thankfully I have never had a belt go on any Alfa I've owned !

Now if this thread was about bottom ends failing I'd have a couple of examples to talk about :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Fiat Barchetta I owned for 14 years, similar engine - only did 40,000 in that time but had the cam belt done 4 times!

Never let me down. For the cost/peace of mind factor, what seems like excessive maintenance paid dividends.

Engine was lovely, liked to rev rather high & made a great noise

1 - 20 of 22 Posts