Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
yer i found the same clive. I found the one where they did the ambulences quite funny. but the star in the car is getting abit boring. would like to see more car "stuff". yer and a change to the format a bit.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
+1 & then after that he talks complete b*ll*x as usual!

The last 2 Top Gears I've fallen asleep to, they need to change the format.

Clive

+1 on that Clive.

I turned last weeks one off. It's all the same. Every single week.

I think they should do a spin off show of actually reviewing cars. I like them as automotive journalists but can't stand their scripted "banter". It drives me up the walls.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think he was talking about the Alfetta GTV he owned not the 916 Alfa.
It's not the Alfetta GTV, not the 916, it's the GTV6. I'd love to have one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I stopped watching Top Gear a few seasons ago, it's all about them rather than info on cars..... What a waste of license payers money!!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
+1 Tedious & boring. Stopped watching last year. Always knew most of the "banter" is scripted but even that sounds laboured now- and the whole Falklands plate thing makes you realize how stupid they think everyone else is.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
......and the whole Falklands plate thing makes you realize how stupid they think everyone else is.
I checked the plate out & it had been on the Porsche from new....unlucky coincidence or did they buy the car because of the plate's 'hidden meaning'?

Clive

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I love Top Gear. I don't watch it with the intent of getting any meaningful information on cars from it though.
Wheeler Dealers does that a bit as does this new CH4 (think it's channel 4 :D) Classic Cars with Quentin Wilson and Jodie Kidd, if you look past the presenters (who are a bit wooden) it's quite informative.
Alternatively there are many magazines with reviews, Top Gear for one :thumbs:

Not watched the video link. Is it not the old Top Gear coupé link where he drives a GTV V6 last?

I also don't believe the Falklands plate thing was on purpose. I had to have it explained. I think going to there with the BBC a bit daft though.

Really? They picked the car then put a programme around it?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I checked the plate out & it had been on the Porsche from new....unlucky coincidence or did they buy the car because of the plate's 'hidden meaning'?

Clive
I also don't believe the Falklands plate thing was on purpose. I had to have it explained. I think going to there with the BBC a bit daft though.

Really? They picked the car then put a programme around it?
I didn't say that, rather they had the trip/programme planned & someone saw the Porsche for sale with a plate which could be insulting so they bought the car....they could've chosen any car.....'unlucky coincidence'?.....you make your own minds up.

Clive

·
Registered
393 Posts
Agreed with top gear getting boring. I had to stop watching the one in Australia due to an interruption, and then felt like "oh never mind, it wasn't that good anyways...." Never happened before!

I miss the good old supercar tests and their incredible drives in Japan or across Europe competing against each other. I mean, a race in St Petersburg between the subway, a bike, a hoover craft and AN ELECTRIC CAR WITH A TOP SPEED OF 45 MPH? What has Top Gear come to? :cry:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Top Gear is an entertainment programme, not a motoring programme. I agree the format is getting a bit stale and sometimes rather juvenile, but worldwide it makes loads of money and keeps the BBC happy. A motoring programme for us petrol heads would not be popular with the general public and therefore won't get on mainstream TV, we don't even have a national motor show now due to lack of interest. Classic cars are a different matter, though Wheeler Dealers is not quite as you might think it is, most of the cars are not sold on.....

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I didn't say that, rather they had the trip/programme planned & someone saw the Porsche for sale with a plate which could be insulting so they bought the car....they could've chosen any car.....'unlucky coincidence'?.....you make your own minds up.

Clive
I have and it was highly unlikely that a V8 car with a tangible link even as this came up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If there was a failure, it was the not spotting the plate could be a problem by the people who research/produce it.

I cant see that Clarkson & Co would have even have seen the cars beforehand.

There was a piece by the TG producer (Andy Willman?) that explained it from their perspective and how they couldn't/wouldn't have known about the plate until they were there. It also backs up what Clive had said about the plate being original.

Still stupid though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts