Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love alfaowner and often wondered why it has never taken advantage of the Facebook platform , there was one set up but it appears to be inactive. AROC launched one a while back. I have found a great new Facebook group and it already has 360 members all joined up in just one month ....lot's of familiar faces , it's fantastic. Already spotted alfaowner events promoted within the group and it seems to work really well , a friendly bunch just like all the guys in here. Its called Alfabook https://www.facebook.com/groups/662842377131234/ ...If you enjoy Facebook you will enjoy Alfabook .....Join Now ! :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I'm on Alfabook. The issue with all the FB groups is they further detract from forums as they are easier to use in the main.

Forums will still appeal to those without FB though:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
All members of alfabook are still encouraged to use the forum and if anyone looks it's different stuff being posted on facebook is not the usual stuff but forum always comes first , I have lots of friends on Facebook which I have met because of the brand and stay in touch with through that medium but everyone still relates back to the forum

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I don't quite see the attraction of duplicating what already exists - I often see identical posts on two or three forums and then on Facebook as well.......just doesn't really seem beneficial.

·
Banned
299 Posts
I don't quite see the attraction of duplicating what already exists - I often see identical posts on two or three forums and then on Facebook as well.......just doesn't really seem beneficial.
I'm with you fella, there have been far too many problems /issues on facefook for me to want to go anywhere near it, there is nowt there that can't be served just as well, or better by a good forum.

Not for me thanks!

ATB, Ray.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I use FB, it was because my daughter was at UNI. She just graduated and is now working and living back in Manchester. I am spending less time there now.

I much prefer this format.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Everyone has there own choices and personally I use fb but I know a lot of people do not whether there is a page or not it's not going to change everyone's opinions of that format there always going to use it thing is if you don't want to look or join it don't it's not going to change it you just don't have to worry about it that's all it's the same as Alfa romeo owners club or a club is better than b club, everyone has there own opinions and choices which makes us all human personally I love alfaowner and the Facebook page is good also my choices are my own the same as everyone else's I'm not slating anyone or speaking down saying you must use this but as I said if you don't feel like using it that is fine please respect others opinions the same as they do your own

·
Banned
299 Posts
Everyone has there own choices and personally I use fb but I know a lot of people do not whether there is a page or not it's not going to change everyone's opinions of that format there always going to use it thing is if you don't want to look or join it don't it's not going to change it you just don't have to worry about it that's all it's the same as Alfa romeo owners club or a club is better than b club, everyone has there own opinions and choices which makes us all human personally I love alfaowner and the Facebook page is good also my choices are my own the same as everyone else's I'm not slating anyone or speaking down saying you must use this but as I said if you don't feel like using it that is fine please respect others opinions the same as they do your own
You post is very difficult to read because of the lack of punctuation, but all I can say to you is that "Pot and Kettle spring to mind.:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think what the guys are trying to do with Alfabook is have a “on demand” community Alfa Romeo Facebook site with a UK flavour. Facebook and forums are indeed two different entities; forums are great on the laptop but awful on mobile. On Facebook I can put faces to real names, it all allows unlimited instant communication, group chats, video messages and photo messages, would like to think that as Alfabook grows it will offer more interaction and event organisation at a local level. Half the time if something is happening in my area I do not know about till after the event. With Alfabook I receive an alert with every new post, if I post I get push notification replies. If I get fed up with receiving replies I can delete my original post easily. Yes I have friends that don’t use Facebook and I also have friends that have had bad experiences purely due to the fact that they did not set up there accounts properly using the personal privacy settings. I have never had any issues; maybe I have just been lucky. 1.23 Billion Users on Facebook can’t all be wrong. I agree there are perhaps too many “Alfa” groups on Facebook but this really is the first general group that is based in UK …! The Alfa Romeo Owners Club (group) has 6000 members …mostly foreign ….some lovely pictures but even with google translate I cannot understand what anyone is saying. I only posted this because I am quite excited about it. The forum has been an absolute god send for me especially technical advice and tips. I will continue to browse the forum as I do most nights. Just wish it was as user friendly as Facebook , biggest plus by far is it’s all handy on my mobile ….Tried the forum app but it’s way too glitchy with my phone and has been deleted. Maybe we will get some G & Mito owners finding alfaowner ? , you know the ones ….the ones you wave to and they look at you as if you were an alien ….. :)

·
Administrator
87,047 Posts
Facebook and forums are indeed two different entities; forums are great on the laptop but awful on mobile...

Half the time if something is happening in my area I do not know about till after the event...

With Alfabook I receive an alert with every new post, if I post I get push notification replies. If I get fed up with receiving replies I can delete my original post easily...

Just wish it was as user friendly as Facebook , biggest plus by far is it’s all handy on my mobile ….Tried the forum app but it’s way too glitchy with my phone and has been deleted...

Maybe we will get some G & Mito owners finding alfaowner ? , you know the ones ….the ones you wave to and they look at you as if you were an alien ….. :)

Not sure what mobile you are using but I'd say > 90% of my AO reading/posting is via mobile/mobile device & that's with the default browsers, I don't see the need for an app (even if it did work)

As for events, I'd suggest subscribing to your Region if you don't already, or just check it out every week & subscribe to the event threads you are interested in. Also if you RSVP Yes or Maybe to an event thread you'll get email reminders a week & a couple of days before the event.

You can also set AO to alert you to any replies to your posts, check out the User CP to select your default preference.

I find the forum a lot more user friendly than FB & it's much easier to navigate, and again that's with mobile devices on default browsers.

The alien thing isn't limited to Mito & Giulietta owners, that seems to be a widespread virus which affects many of the Alfa owning community ;)

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Im a mito owner and always wave to other alfas.....most of the time not reciprocatef but now and again I get a wave back

S

·
0 Posts
Im a mito owner and always wave to other alfas.....most of the time not reciprocatef but now and again I get a wave back
Think the G & Mito drivers are coming round , had a 100% wave return result today 2 Mito & 2 G .....:) ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Been an active member of Alfabook since it started , I totally agree it is not as informative as the forum. It is however an excellent communication tool particularity when it comes to events and meets. I am now one of the admin team and as such can list events across the country. Early days yet but Alfabook already has 489 members. I am more than confident that Alfabook will in fact help to grow membership of alfaowner in the long term. The biggest weakness of Facebook is that its not searchable , it's a very at the moment instant access medium . Alfabook and alfaowner will run hand in hand. I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea and there are loads of reasons perhaps for not being a Facebook fan but early signs are the meets and events are benefiting , numbers are up ! .....I have been in touch with Alfa Romeo UK (Facebook) and they may consider linking Alfabook on there own Facebook page ! .... If your on Facebook its easy to join https://www.facebook.com/groups/662842377131234/ It's fun but you will use alfaowner just as much as ever ....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts