Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
That reminds me of a spirited drive (chase) with a Vantage on the A361 in Devon a few years ago.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hasn't the Vanatge got a 4.2L V8 giving 400bhp - surely it'd thrash the GTA in a straight line?

The GTA is quick, but its not supercar quick. You'd lose your licence very quickly trying that on the M25.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Agree with the above, but on a normal A road it is much easier to chase than be chased. Obviously in a straight line it's not a contest, but it's parable to a golf GTI (any other 2 Ltr hatch) chasing a GTA. Something we've all probably experienced?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have to say, I remember having driven a V8 Vantage back in 2008/09 around when they came out I believe, and it was at the same time I owned my first 156 GTA, and I remember whilst driving it thinking it didn't feel much quicker than my GTA and that it would give it a run for it's money! (I wasn't hanging around driving the Aston, it was quite a spiritedly "Thrash"! :D) It sounds wonderful, but seemed to lack in mid-high torque, and makes you feel wanting for more....if I'm not mistaken its quite a heavy car....I also remember reading various mag articles that it wasn't all that....

·
Registered
807 Posts
The V8 Vantage isn't all that quick, as mentioned above very heavy and lacks in torque (but certainly a lot quicker than a GTA), but the looks and the noise.......:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Aston i reckon was taking it easy in top gear probably :)
i remember having a chase with a Maserati Quattroporte on a motorway when in the GTA and although we did catch up, it was alot faster

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Vantage is definitely faster than a GTA, but not by what you would expect for a 400BHP+ V8.

I remember around the same time of having driven one, I was also took out as a passenger in a TVR Sagaris....now THAT would ANNIHILATE a GTA....my god that was quick...:eek:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The Vantage is definitely faster than a GTA, but not by what you would expect for a 400BHP+ V8.

I remember around the same time of having driven one, I was also took out as a passenger in a TVR Sagaris....now THAT would ANNIHILATE a GTA....my god that was quick...:eek:
I drove a sagaris last year and your right that is one hell of a car . Handling Also great and still that magic TVR touch , no driving aids just a beast of an engine into a fibre glass shell :thumbs:
I thought the Tuscan was great till I drove the sagaris! My favourite car as well , apart from an aventador :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

True, but it would end up being a contest as to which one breaks first.:lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This looks fun! I really like the Vantage, but the 156 GTA has a very special place in my heart. Just love the looks, the 3.2 Arese V6, and the noise is just perfect.

Cool, but uncommon comparison video.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'll take the Aston Vantage over the GTA every single day of the week.

Pace and Grace.

And yes, driven both. The sense of occasion permeating through the Vantage is incredible. A special place to be.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'll take the Aston Vantage over the GTA every single day of the week.

Pace and Grace.

And yes, driven both. The sense of occasion permeating through the Vantage is incredible. A special place to be.
So would I, but then I'd sell the Vantage, buy myself a 156 GTA and pocket the change! ;)

You can't really compare the 2....They are 2 cars in completely different price brackets and classes...when new and now second hand also. But the whole point is, that it's surprising what cars the understated GTA can give a little run for its money....

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree I would expect the Aston to blow the gta away so I was very impressed with the gta keeping up and they were racing you could tell by the reaction of the driver and passanger as the Aston started to real in the gta.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd like to think that a V8 Vantage would be a natural progression from a GT 3.2. Possibly it would have to be the 4.7 litre version. I can't think of many other loud & nice looking coupes I'd want to trade up to.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree I would expect the Aston to blow the gta away so I was very impressed with the gta keeping up and they were racing you could tell by the reaction of the driver and passanger as the Aston started to real in the gta.
They were not racing as neither car was flat out. The GTA only keeps up because the vantage isn't pushing it. Tho the difference wouldn't be massive, the Aston would keep pullng away from a GTA if it tried.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts