Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa heads,

My 156 Sportwagon has suffered with being a bit sluggish since I’ve owned it. It is 16 years old now and hasn’t had the easiest life (nor has it had the hardest), but I’d expect a little more oomph out of a 2.4 turbo diesel.

After being scanned at the garage the boost pressure sensor and MAF sensor showed up as being faulty so I thought I’d start there and replace them with new parts.

I am a relatively newbie car guy, especially when it comes to buying parts, so I hopped on google and found myself on a another car parts website whose little green tick promised the parts would fit my car.

The upshot is that the boost pressure sensor fit but the MAF was not right as the housing was much too short.

I could have another go at buying the right part and waiting a week for it to arrive but thought I’d ask on here first if anyone has changed this part in their car and where I can find one that will fit mine.

Many thanks,
Tom

P.S This vehicle is for sale so if you are interested or know of someone who may be, please let me know. It is in relatively good condition considering it’s age but does have ongoing issues. £750 would be nice! ML54 BMO if you want to check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Is it a 10 valve or a 20 valve 2.4? (y)

·
Registered
53 Posts
You need to know the (bosch-) number of the sensor inside the MAF. This part is used in many cars. It has 2 non-tamper screws.
On EBay you can find a cheap set to remove these screws.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to know the (bosch-) number of the sensor inside the MAF. This part is used in many cars. It has 2 non-tamper screws.
On EBay you can find a cheap set to remove these screws.
Do you have any ideas where I might find that number? I think I already have the non tamper bits.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Molegrips or good pliers on the outside of the screw should do it too!

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Needs must when the shops are shut! I've now got a set of security bits and also the proper Clip-R hose clamp tool which avoid damaging those and replacing them with jubilees that are invariably over-tightened and crush the hoses and plastic pipes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all,

Thank you for all your input, I really appreciate it.

So after some fiddling and swearing this morning I’ve managed to remove the old MAF sensor (pictures attached). Please can you let me know which number it is that I need to be looking at please when it comes to ordering a new one.

I have taken the sensor out of the new MAF that I bought previously that I was told was too short. What I think they meant is that the housing is too short. The sensor itself looks identical to the old one apart from the fact that it’s missing some of the numbers that the old one has on it... either way I think I’d prefer to take it to a garage so that I know it’s been done legit and so they can clear the fault codes.

Let me know your thoughts!
934E7C48-5565-4297-8241-05942464322C.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello again,

Just a little update. I have had the correct part put in and the fault codes cleared and loads of her power has returned which I’m stoked about! It’s going to make selling her a whole lot harder!

Thank you all for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts