Hi peeps

Are there any issues or bonuses with ASR & Quaife LSD

I dont see any but thought i would ask :thumbup:

Yes i know its dusty :p

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a rear LSD on my Q4 crosswagon and I can tell that ASR kicks in quite oftenly to kill fun when taking a turn sideways :devious:
On the other hand driving a FWD LSD deserves a bit of testing on a safe road, handling WILL be different when taking turns and having in mind the already responsive steering will complain and backfire a lot in your arms when LSD will lock. Take some time to practice before hitting it on public roads.
Just dont forget that when you have Torsen and bad grip (e.g. ice), zero multiplied with anything is zero.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a rear LSD on my Q4 crosswagon and I can tell that ASR kicks in quite oftenly to kill fun when taking a turn sideways :devious:
On the other hand driving a FWD LSD deserves a bit of testing on a safe road, handling WILL be different when taking turns and having in mind the already responsive steering will complain and backfire a lot in your arms when LSD will lock. Take some time to practice before hitting it on public roads.
Just dont forget that when you have Torsen and bad grip (e.g. ice), zero multiplied with anything is zero.
lol zero + zero sounds like my life :biglaugh:

Thanks for answer nice 1

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi,
I have a Quaife ATB in my F40 gearbox (fwd Brera), and as said there are occasions that I can provoke wheel spin especially with the way I have my suspension setup with reduced droop and stiff springs, but its a huge improvement on an open diff so don't get me wrong there well worth it.

I think you already know the benefits so not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs lol, I did a right up for AutoLusso who fitted this diff a few years ago on here if anyone is interested. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuni...-quaife-atb-lsd-2-4-20v-159-brera-report.html

But you and others may be interested in a hybrid I was also told about a few years ago. It was not available for my gearbox at the time...but they do one now, and also for your M32 box too (if that's what you are using)

So there's a company called Wavetrac that make an ATB with what I would call a ramping mechanical LSD action built in, very clever stuff, it basically stops the situation of zero torque transfer and your ATB acting like an open diff if one wheel is off the ground.
Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference
Search - wavetrac m32

HTH

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Cars with Q2s from the factory had ASR/traction control programmes that cut in later than cars without Q2s fitted as standard (obviously that wont apply to 156s as they never had them fitted from the factory). There was a thread around a while back where some people had re-wired the ASR to be always off cos they didnt like this, or at least thats what they were trying, not sure if they achieved it or not.

(EDIT: thats what jwq was alluding to in his link)

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
....a thread around a while back where some people had re-wired the ASR to be always off cos they didnt like this, or at least thats what they were trying, not sure if they achieved it or not.
Not quite. Behaviour is reversed from standard. Instead of default on, it's default off. If you want it on you can still switch it on with the button, the reverse of standard procedure ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts