Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ASR OFF light came on this morning (from when I started the car). Pressing the ASR button did nothing.

Now it has done this on the odd occasion before and tends to clear after a day or so. It also has done this in the past after the wheels have been taken on and off.

Does anyone know where the sensor is mounted, Im thinking it may be a bad connection?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You're lucky. I just paid an extra for a device to have the ASR off all the time from the start:lol:.

Isn't the wheel sensor shared with ABS?

Did you check the button and electronics behind it?

ASR talks to the ECU as well. Cutting off the injection. When my ECU was dead I had the ASR off message all the time. However it's not your case as you actually can start the engine.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Had the same problem on mine. Have you tried cleaning the switch. It gets stuck down a little or grit gets in it causing the error. Had it on both 156 JTD and GTA. Un pop the gearshift gater. Now lift out the silver suround. Comes out from the end nearest you. It's on spring clips with tabs at the front which go under the rubber dotted plastic piece of trim infront. Now that it is up unclip both switch connectors. One grey and one black. Pull suround and gater over gear knob and free. Undo 3 big screws underneath to release the fog/asr switch panel. 4 more screws and it will split the panel into it's various bits. Slide out buttons and clean with a rag. Clean surround holes too. Look at circuit. It will probably be covered in years of dust and grit. carefully wipe and reassemble. Can't be 100% it's this but it was the cause for mine :). Best bit. Cost nothing to repair :)

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Joss / Yetygt. It does make the correct clicking noise when pressed, it just doesnt do anything. Worth a try before anything else though, will look later

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
No worries. Hope it solves the issue

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
You're lucky. I just paid an extra for a device to have the ASR off all the time from the start:lol:.
Ah, but you can turn it back on :D

The ASR does share all wheelsensors with the ABS (it's actually all controlled by the ABS ECU), so I would also expect an error/deactivation of the ABS if there was a problem with those sensors. Hopefully just a problem with the switch as suggested, or a connector or wire gone bad....
Perhaps try reading it out to see if there are any errors ?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has done it in the past and has always gone soon after. There are no other warnings, so Im hopeful its the switch....

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
It has done it in the past and has always gone soon after. There are no other warnings, so Im hopeful its the switch....
certainly sounds like a bad connection then.... I suggest to also check to see if all the wires are securely fixed in the switch connector etc...
As a test you could probably also pull the connector, after which the ASR should stay on at ignition on.. That would at least prove the problem is with the switch....

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a similar problem. It was when my wife spilt a load of crap (including drink) over the buttons.

It was easy to take off the plastic and dissassemble the switches. There was a lot of dirt stuck down, so after a good clean, all was fine.

Give that a go first before you worry about sensors etc.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I think about it, I have had the rear fog light come on with the headlights at times, always thought it was a glitch somewhere but is probably just the switch!

My original (from new GTA) also did this, and under warranty they changed allsorts trying to sort it, that was probably just the switch aswell!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Now I think about it, I have had the rear fog light come on with the headlights at times, always thought it was a glitch somewhere but is probably just the switch!

My original (from new GTA) also did this, and under warranty they changed allsorts trying to sort it, that was probably just the switch aswell!
Own up PR. You've been spilling coffee and eating hobnobs in the GTA again haven't you :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Own up PR. You've been spilling coffee and eating hobnobs in the GTA again haven't you :p :lol:
:tut: No chance, it is like a shrine ;)

Warning light had disappeared when I started it to come home. I will clean switches next time it happens :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts