Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all
I spent sometime thinking on how i could use my ashtray to modernise the GTV a little as i have given up smoking on news years eve and have stayed off them since. Dont know how but anyway i came up with the idea of ipod / iphone dock as i have an Alpine touch screen head unit which i use my iphone on but never anywhere to put it.
So basically removed the lid and spring mechanism. Then made two 5mm carbon fibre spacers which would aline the phone with the connector that i have mounted in the bottom of the ashtray and i am really pleased with the result.
Any other ideas
You can click on pic to enlarge this was taken before fitting back in car.
I work in Formula 1 so i have access to Carbon Fiber before anyone asks this was done by hand not CNC either hehehe
View attachment 107596

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks very smart, surely you might hit it though when changing gear or using hand brake? Would it not be safer to mount it in the arm rest or glove box?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
This might be a good moment to mention what I've done on my phase-2 Spider... In the roof console, I removed the interior light to expose an unused white two-pin plug with red/green and black wires. These are the 'TELEPASS provision' (probably a toll road payment device in Italy?) 12v live with key on and protected by Services fuse (probably good up to 50W).

I extended the wires and fitted a line-mounted cigarette lighter socket (from electronics shop, black plastic with cable strain relief, won't actually accept a gets-hot lighter plug). This is tucked between the mirror and the windscreen. I plugged in a Belkin power adapter (compact, black, USB socket) and the black USB-iPhone lead that comes with it. I use a windscreen-mounted suction holder (Belkin again) with the gooseneck removed and the adjustable clasp screwed direct to the circular suction mounting. Excess lead is wound around the mounting.

This would work with any phone... Very satisfactory, iPhone is held reliably where it's easy to see, no dangling lead and good GPS reception. Pairs with my Sony head unit automatically for calls and music.

-Alex

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
This might be a good moment to mention what I've done on my phase-2 Spider... In the roof console, I removed the interior light to expose an unused white two-pin plug with red/green and black wires. These are the 'TELEPASS provision' (probably a toll road payment device in Italy?) 12v live with key on and protected by Services fuse (probably good up to 50W).

I extended the wires and fitted a line-mounted cigarette lighter socket (from electronics shop, black plastic with cable strain relief, won't actually accept a gets-hot lighter plug). This is tucked between the mirror and the windscreen. I plugged in a Belkin power adapter (compact, black, USB socket) and the black USB-iPhone lead that comes with it. I use a windscreen-mounted suction holder (Belkin again) with the gooseneck removed and the adjustable clasp screwed direct to the circular suction mounting. Excess lead is wound around the mounting.

This would work with any phone... Very satisfactory, iPhone is held reliably where it's easy to see, no dangling lead and good GPS reception. Pairs with my Sony head unit automatically for calls and music.

-Alex
Bit of a thread revival, but could you post a couple of pictures of your set-up..? Sounds just what I need to hardwire my satnav.. Cheers..!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts