Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a family tragedy, I am looking to remove all traces of asbestos from my 1975 Alfetta. Apparently this cancer-causing stuff can sit in your lungs for 30 years, and then suddenly you get very,very ill and die. It makes me shudder to think about the times driving the Montreal, and clounds of black dust would come out the front brakes and get sucked into the fly-window and chucked in my face. Yes I stupidly fitted NOS brake pads, which worked extremely well, but certainly would have contained asbestos.

So, brake pads, clutch, possibly bonnet under hood lining, and there look to be two big blue asbestos chunks in the boot (I put these very carefully in a bag already while wearing a dust mask). So I need to buy car parts made after 1999 to be sure they are asbestos free. So which pads to get? I don't drive fast (not more than 116mph on a private road officer). So I'm looking for something that that works well from cold, and requires the least peddle effort to start to bite. I don't care how long the pads last really, or if they chew up the discs. I have had some experience of EBC green stuff a while back, they were not great from cold, and required much more effort than the NOS asbestos ones. Has modern technology with kevlar etc come along some?

-Hazel

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'd be surprised if the calipers were different from the ATE ones fitted to the S2? - I'n sure someone here will know

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,136 Posts
Due to a family tragedy, I am looking to remove all traces of asbestos from my 1975 Alfetta. Apparently this cancer-causing stuff can sit in your lungs for 30 years, and then suddenly you get very,very ill and die. It makes me shudder to think about the times driving the Montreal, and clounds of black dust would come out the front brakes and get sucked into the fly-window and chucked in my face. Yes I stupidly fitted NOS brake pads, which worked extremely well, but certainly would have contained asbestos.

So, brake pads, clutch, possibly bonnet under hood lining, and there look to be two big blue asbestos chunks in the boot (I put these very carefully in a bag already while wearing a dust mask). So I need to buy car parts made after 1999 to be sure they are asbestos free. So which pads to get? I don't drive fast (not more than 116mph on a private road officer). So I'm looking for something that that works well from cold, and requires the least peddle effort to start to bite. I don't care how long the pads last really, or if they chew up the discs. I have had some experience of EBC green stuff a while back, they were not great from cold, and required much more effort than the NOS asbestos ones. Has modern technology with kevlar etc come along some?

-Hazel
This is something that does concern me, thanks for reminding me! All those brakes I blew out with an air line, clutches I changed under the car with the dust falling on me. That was in the 70's early 80's. We knew no different.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd be surprised if the calipers were different from the ATE ones fitted to the S2? - I'n sure someone here will know
Pretty sure that the 4 stud wheel, 4 cylinder 116 series use the same calipers as the 2 ltr 105 series - just ring Tom Bouet, or Simon Mawbey at CA and they'll confirm whether or not.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts