Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..it’s a mystery.

So, here it is. Cars.

What a tremendous waste of the world’s resources. What a crushing circle of insidious and rather self-fulfilling justification of “me” versus “us”. If there was ever a symbol of why humans will not, in the eventual record of the Earth’s history, be seen as the highest point of its evolution it must be the car.

It surely is the most wasteful and anti-social and anti-ecological creation of our, or any previous, and I hope, future times. 100 + millions of years of compression and geological transformation has allowed us in this fleeting glimpse of time to burn, and lose, our cosmological heritage in a furnace of internal combustion. We shall, unless there is a New Jerusalem, never be able restore or even recreate the wealth that the millennia has provided for us.

It’s not a slow burn even. We can see it with every passing click of the “Gas register” (as our American friends would have it). My main form of transport is my bicycle, and at times the train.

And yet..

And yet…..

I have a 166 in my drive.

Background. Important here. Many children; family man; no interest in cars; functional transport ONLY.

And then, and then….

The MPV, battered and beyond economical repair returned to the cube.

And I had no car.

But, I had to get the family to Cornwall for their holiday and my (Sainted) brother in law sold me, unseen, “A car I have in my drive in need to get rid of so I can put my boat on it”.
Mmmmmm……….

“Can it tow a trailer? I need something practical”

Answer:

“Fit a tow bar.”….

….”I think you’ll like it. I don’t think it’s something you’d have bought ordinarily, but it will do the job.”

And so that’s how I came to have, when I got home a couple of evenings later a 166 in my drive.

I’m not going to pretend that it is in mint condition. None of the panels paint match each other. The retro feel of the tape player in-car entertainment system doesn’t shout “executive” and the rather hit and miss nature of gear finding is somewhat redolent of East German engineering.

But…

But…

Oh man alive. I don’t have to drive it to love it.

It’s art.

And beauty.

And what price both?

Mmmmmm…….

My bicycle remains my main form of transport, and I don’t love my bicycle.

But I do love my 166.

Curves, idiosyncrasies, presence.

I drive along, on the rare occasions that I do, at a tempo rather befitting a dowager Aunt in her dotage, allowing the ubiquitous Mercs and Beamers to overtake me at their will, together, I must say, with the MPV’s, hot hatches and civilian jelly mould cars.

And I don’t care who passes me, overtakes me, or sits behind me. Because I know that all of them, M3 rep down to school run mum all cast a glance.

And you know, despite all I hold true, I know I’m driving a 166.

And they’re not.

And (again) despite all I hold true.

That makes me feel good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am going to frame this and put it in my glove box to pull out whenever someone complains about the fuel economy or some irrelevant dark spot on the 166 :).

I had a 70 mile run yesterday in Kent (to and from Bewl Water), in the glorious Spring sun, and the car was tight as a drum (just fitted new upper arms on the front so it is more sure footed now). It is insane to speak about a big saloon like that, but with a 166 it makes perfect sense.

Still, for me it always comes back to the Busso V6. I paid 1200 quid for my 2.5 and every time that thing goes beyond 4500 RPM (which happened a lot yesterday) it is worth the purchase price alone. The 166 does not make sense in modern society, but no matter whether I poodle around or whether it is out for a workout, that thing brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

Thrives.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
:) :) :)

A wee blast tay Biggar the other night.Checked oot the weather afore hawn...rain hail sleet and snaw....the drive doon...A braw Autumnal evening....Winter mah backside so um no even go intay satellite weather forecasting. They be better aff eating thon weathering sweeties and tossin a coin. Wie the exception of the whining from the rear seat...(Mrs P).twas priceless.

BUTT

Immerser If the car in front is a TOYotAH yeed bee better getting the finger oot and checking the gearboax linkage oan the toap o the geeboax..trhe 166 gearboax is the slickest eye'vee ever drove and that's withoot the SLICK additives.

Good weather this week so hopefully 2 MOT's doon by the end of it and then another twa next month.

Motoring Eye luv it.

Immerser...'ave ewe beam watching too much TG or ur ewe JC in disguise wie glasses?

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
..it’s a mystery.

I have a 166 in my drive.

That makes me feel good.
We really don't knead tay ken how the petroleum spirit was formed and distilled. BUTT thank Dog fur dinosaur poo.

IF ewe feel that guid wait til ewe huv 4. It's no a mystery at awe.
ESP after the depreciation has gone.Then the appreciation starts.

Ewe feel good ,ewe feel good I wunner where that plaices me:lol:

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
wise words P, wise words
:thumbs: Ken P jist Ken :lol: Eye goat in at the wright time.:cheese: BUTT I did pay oer the odds fur No's 1,2 and 4 BUTT thanks tay the bogart eye goat a Dickinson.

Butt these are really extractin the urine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QH-REAR-L...Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:166&hash=item43b391b753

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:166&hash=item5af32e1765

And

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QH-ALTERN...Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:166&hash=item5403435a87

Hackin?...Who im any state of mind wood pay anywhere near that dosh.

Pomeo

·
Registered
930 Posts
I love the words, I love the car.

Or is it deeper than that? How can an inanimate object stir your soul so much? It doesn't hug you the way your kid does when you get back from work etc.....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Oh man alive. I don’t have to drive it to love it.

But the more you drive it the more you love it (even more so once you free that puddingy gear linkage up!)

I also do quite a few bike miles....but I've never ever parked my bike....walked 50 yards in the wrong direction so that I can then walk back past it, then once having walked past, cast my eyes back over it from 10 paces, 20 paces, 50 paces etc etc....

And yes, part of the joy of driving a 166 is the joy of smugness....or to put it another way... being content with what you have.

Do you have a sweet wife? Happy kids? Alfa 166? Okay - you just joined the joy division!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Personally, I don't think the car is that bad a deal. It gets hideously maligned by environmentalists and yet they fail to come up with a credible alternative. Politicians love to jump on the environmental bandwagon and bash the car. Well, not so much "bash" as "tax" the car, if truth be told. None of their measures actually make it significantly easier to get rid of our cars - just worse to run them. The thing is, free of artificial market manipulation, the motor car is a STAGGERINGLY convenient and cost-effective solution to personal mobility, which nothing else has even come close to matching.

The thing is, we have now lost the last of the generation that can remember what it was like when we had no cars. When that happens, all we see are the bad points - the good ones get taken for granted. It's like the NHS, in a way. As the last of the generation who can remember what it was like to have to either pay for healthcare as required ...or die, is lost, all we get is people whinging about how lousy the service is. All the good things are taken for granted.

Anyway, before I get hailed as being Jeremy Clarkson's long lost twin brother, I also need to say that the "stewardship" issue does weigh heavily with me. The result, however, isn't to ban cars, it's to make sure our use of them (and indeed, all the finite resources on the planet) are used as efficiently as they can be. If that means using a pushbike for those journeys that can thus be made - great! If that means buying the most fuel-efficient, lowest-emissions vehicle we can afford for the journeys that CAN'T be undertaken by pedal power, bring it on! I use my old 164 for a limited amount of mileage each year and with a relatively clear conscience. If it was my daily drive, I'd feel a bit more self-conscious about it. as it is, when you look back through history and see some of the most fabulous art and architecture, there is always someone ready to point out how it's patrons made their wealth by exploiting someone-or-other, wasting such-and-such precious resource, or how many of the world's poor could be fed and clothed for "x" amount of time instead...

...but we're still glad they're there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aghhhhhhh.........Yes..........Well.

What was intended as a paen may just have become a eulogy. Before that, some responses are in order:

Goremohekan:

Yes. That’s exactly it. Beautifully put.

If my Pomeo to English translation module is working properly I can confirm the following:

1 - I am not Jeremy Clarkson.
2 - I do not watch Top Gear.

As for “checking the gearbox linkage on the top of the gearbox” I fear this will be beyond me. I have long since viewed all under bonnet area with the same kind of awed suspicion as my first nascent attempt to deal with a brassiere, how shall I put this, “In-Situ”? Scary and exciting - Yes, however ultimately deeply incomprehensible, frustrating and leaving more damage than benefit to both parties.

It is therefore with some regret that I must declare I may have bought ruin upon my own house. I should have just kept quiet and left me and my 166 in an uneasy détente. It believing, but not questioning, that I know what I’m doing and won’t cause it’s destruction by some deed or omission and I never owning to the contrary. My short lived status as a commentator may well be at an end.

A mere 12 hours after my original post I noticed, thankfully only a few hundred yards from home that the temperature gauge was nearly maxed out and a big red warning light was on on my dashboard. Being a man of action I immediately drove home turned the engine off and hid hoping it would all go away before I need to take my youngest to football training tomorrow night.

Any ideas?????

As an aside - I could do you another 500 words my silver Alfa badge, but I thik that's one for another day.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
First job is to pop the bonnet and check the coolant level (now that the engine is cold). If it has lost some (there should be a maximum and minimum mark on the reservoir where you top up the coolant), see how much you have to add to top it up to the maximum and report back. If there is none missing, the problem becomes a bit more tricky...

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Inmarsat7 I enjoy your sharing of your thoughts!
It's nice to see someone take time out and smell the roses/coffee/166 exhaust fumes now and then.
I do believe that the New Jerusalem will happen but until then I'll happily enjoy my Alfas (plural).
:thumbs:

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
my first nascent attempt to deal with a brassiere,

As an asside - I could do you another 500 words my silver Alfa badge, but I thik that's one for another day.
:eek: Oh the marmaries....Jist like yee never furget yer furst dime bar.:cheese:

Rex picture hoose....so long ago.

:wow: Wan wurd immerse wan wurd ..."Faded"

As avo says...Check yer watter.....
Normally about 4-5 mins or 2miles to get gauage up to 90.Then rock solid.

When was stat and rad last dun. Water pump ..When was timing belt last dun.

Weird that happening on an oipen road...ususally queue of traffic when gubbed rad.

Pomeo

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I wass finking readywaiter Pomie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Avocet - took your advice. When you wrote, among other things;

"If it has lost some...."

Actually I was very much in the territory of "If there is any left".

I topped it up, took it for a run by way of a test and apology. I cannot deny it has all the hallmarks of an abusive relationship. I promise to try harder in future.

And as for faded Pomeo? Silver is the new black.....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Inmarsat7 I enjoy your sharing of your thoughts!
It's nice to see someone take time out and smell the roses/coffee/166 exhaust fumes now and then.
I do believe that the New Jerusalem will happen but until then I'll happily enjoy my Alfas (plural).
Mufasa,
If the God did create the universe and us to be like him then (going all Alf Garnet) it stands to reason that 1, Men would like things that go bang, burn and travel fast (check out some Hubble telescope images of supernovae and comets),
2, Men would appreciate beautiful things (ditto)

3, Men would want to travel round in "burning chariots" (See Ezekiel's vision {chapter 1 -Ezekiel, Old Testament} for God's ultimate Q4)

Also - if there is going to be a New Jerusalem megatropolis Size of New Jerusalem (I'm a doubter-believer-doubter)... then presumably there will be some kind of transport system.....wings, boats, bicycles....erm massive fire breathing four wheel drive "burn 'em up" vehicles like in Ezekiel 1 maybe??

Okay -so Jesus rode on a donkey (1st Century = Honda Jazz) but according to the Bible he also said that he must suffer first (donkey riding, crucifixion etc) and THEN enter his glory.....so presumably he has now ditched his hatchback and gone back to the quick as a flash go anywhere flaming wheels Q4.....boom!

Inmarsat: CS Lewis was surprised by joy....he converted to Christianity and was surprised by how happy it made him....(as he presumed it would make him miserable) sounds like you have good green principles and are wary of mankind's urge to self-destruct.....and yet, as you say - you stumbled on the Alfa 166....you never thought you could have happy thoughts about a motor car! Was this Alfa ordained for you?;)

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Mufasa,
If the God did create the universe and us to be like him then (going all Alf Garnet) it stands to reason that 1, Men would like things that go bang, burn and travel fast (check out some Hubble telescope images of supernovae and comets),
2, Men would appreciate beautiful things (ditto)

3, Men would want to travel round in "burning chariots" (See Ezekiel's vision {chapter 1 -Ezekiel, Old Testament} for God's ultimate Q4)

Also - if there is going to be a New Jerusalem megatropolis Size of New Jerusalem (I'm a doubter-believer-doubter)... then presumably there will be some kind of transport system.....wings, boats, bicycles....erm massive fire breathing four wheel drive "burn 'em up" vehicles like in Ezekiel 1 maybe??

Okay -so Jesus rode on a donkey (1st Century = Honda Jazz) but according to the Bible he also said that he must suffer first (donkey riding, crucifixion etc) and THEN enter his glory.....so presumably he has now ditched his hatchback and gone back to the quick as a flash go anywhere flaming wheels Q4.....boom!

Inmarsat: CS Lewis was surprised by joy....he converted to Christianity and was surprised by how happy it made him....(as he presumed it would make him miserable) sounds like you have good green principles and are wary of mankind's urge to self-destruct.....and yet, as you say - you stumbled on the Alfa 166....you never thought you could have happy thoughts about a motor car! Was this Alfa ordained for you?;)
goremohekan - thanks I enjoyed that!
You have a good knowledge of the FUNdamentals of Christianity!
I'm not sure that the Bible explains the MECHANICS of how God created the heavens and the earth, just that He did.
I concur that driving a Honda Jazz is well less than desirable.
I love your postscript to Inmarsat, reminds me of a quote from a film called Sniper - Tom Berenger "the man doesn't choose the profession but the profession chooses the man."
Possibly not quite a Biblically kosher principle but with cars I've always felt drawn towards certain ones (mostly Alfas of course!)
PS re Ezekiel and the New Jerusalem-Ezekiel was seeing a vision of heavenly beings so that's a different dimension, the New Jerusalem is a divisive one within Christianity (literal place (yes in my opinion but possibly not a 1500 miles wide and high cube though!) or figurative of the living stones of the redeemed - I believe it's both).

Isn't it great that we can add to Pomeo's 164/166 lounge philosophising!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Mufasa,
Nice to find a fellow Alfa fan who has respect for the ancient scriptures....:cool:
Well, I think the Bible is an incredible collection of old books....although I find many things in it difficult to accept..........I can understand the conclusion that they contain the story of God.

Agree though that the apocalyptic writings are not to be interpreted literally...and that The Revelation in particular is basically a clever code written summary of the rest of the New Testament for 1st century persecuted Christians...rather than additional secret teachings about Hitler, Stalin or the Pope!

Great that Alfa Romeos can inspire us to poetry, philosophy.....and sometimes sadly -though hopefully not at this present time for Inmarsat - to euology.

Hopefully our biblical musings won't tip our fellow 164/166ers to boil up past the 90...

As for daring to speak in the presence of Pomeo....even the little dogs get to pick up the crumbs that fall from his table!:)

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Mufasa,
Nice to find a fellow Alfa fan who has respect for the ancient scriptures....:cool:
Well, I think the Bible is an incredible collection of old books....although I find many things in it difficult to accept..........I can understand the conclusion that they contain the story of God.

Agree though that the apocalyptic writings are not to be interpreted literally...and that The Revelation in particular is basically a clever code written summary of the rest of the New Testament for 1st century persecuted Christians...rather than additional secret teachings about Hitler, Stalin or the Pope!

Great that Alfa Romeos can inspire us to poetry, philosophy.....and sometimes sadly -though hopefully not at this present time for Inmarsat - to euology.

Hopefully our biblical musings won't tip our fellow 164/166ers to boil up past the 90...

As for daring to speak in the presence of Pomeo....even the little dogs get to pick up the crumbs that fall from his table!:)
Good not to hide one's light under a bushel!
I think Pomie has me as his Elisha.... I'm probably bald enough...
Re Revelation, like much of scripture, I think it has many levels of interpretation....

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Good not to hide one's light under a bushel!
I think Pomie has me as his Elisha.... I'm probably bald enough...
Re Revelation, like much of scripture, I think it has many levels of interpretation....
As JC himsell rode intay Jerusalem oan a Triumph and as my furst hurl oan a motorbike was aroon the church oan a Triumph Tiger Cub eye eventually goat a Triumph Thunderbird engine tay shoehorn inaty a Norton Featherbed Frame ( coz a featherbed's the best bed..Wisdom of Solomon) and a Triumph Stag.

Eye reckon eye may jist may have the edge oan the baldness...years of experience and grass Disney grow on a busy street.:lol:
Pomeo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts