Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I had the pleasure of having a ref 159 1.9 JTDm, and well I found it difficult to drive! I think its because im not used to having to keep the turbo spinning, when in my GT I have power all way from 1,000rpm, whereas in the 159 nothing happened until I got the engine spinning at 1500 or so. Once running its a nice and quiet cruiser!

Thats why I'm not keen on turbos...wasnt it Bently that said if you want more power you should add an extra cylinder?

Anyway, I still love the 159, it make have a heavy gearshift, but I like that and its such a good cruiser, I really dont know why anyone would want a boring Audi, BMW or Mercedes. O and whos tried out that Hill start assist feature? Very strange!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Good cruiser - but wierd power delivery low down - isnt it, it does improve with milegae.

The hill holder is more hassle than a regular hill start!

N

·
0 Posts

I use it all the time now.

The main thing with it is you don't need to
keep full pressure on the brake pedal
for it to keep blocking the rear wheels. ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Don't know how it works in the 159, but my Mum's old Subaru Turbo had one of these and it was brilliant, I often wondered why other cars didn't have it. If you pressed the foot brake when you were on a hill and in neutral, the brake would stay on. When you put the clutch in and put it in gear, it just let go of the brake at exactly the right point. It was really easy to use and really useful.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good cruiser - but wierd power delivery low down - isnt it, it does improve with milegae.

I agree..I had a quick read on Parkers.co.uk and they say it suffers from turbo lag. It is amazing how different the 1.9jtdm feels in the 159 to the one in the GT. I noticed when I tested the diesl GT, there was a lot more go in the engine!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Don't know how it works in the 159, but my Mum's old Subaru Turbo had one of these and it was brilliant, I often wondered why other cars didn't have it. If you pressed the foot brake when you were on a hill and in neutral, the brake would stay on. When you put the clutch in and put it in gear, it just let go of the brake at exactly the right point. It was really easy to use and really useful.
The Alfa's lets go after 1.5 seconds!

N

·
0 Posts
I dont have weak ankles like you though!

Cheeky. Takes all my stength to keep the Brera's clutch in.

Don't know how it works in the 159, but my Mum's old Subaru Turbo had one of these and it was brilliant,
The Scoobie one was good. But I think it
worked in a totally different way.

It didn't use the brake and you couldn't roll
the car back with the clutch in because
it only released once you hit the bite-point.

A

·
0 Posts
I agree..I had a quick read on Parkers.co.uk and they say it suffers from turbo lag. It is amazing how different the 1.9jtdm feels in the 159 to the one in the GT. I noticed when I tested the diesl GT, there was a lot more go in the engine!
Yes, not only performance wise but also refinement wise also - the 159 1.9 is sooo quiet and smooth even when its reved. It's even smoother than the 2.4!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
you couldn't roll
the car back with the clutch in because
it only released once you hit the bite-point.
Indeed, I can't imagine it being done any other way. The 159 method sounds terrible.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
On the 159 with the car in 1st or reverse on a hill (X degrees or more) press the barke and clutch down.

You feel a clunk in the foot pedal, you can then release most of the pressure of the footbrake, as long as the brake light is on it will hold the car.

When you are ready to move off you have 1.5 seconds to hit the gas and get the clutch engaged before the system lets the car roll back, if you do it faster than this, it releases at the biting point, it doesnt drag like the Renault system.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the 159 with the car in 1st or reverse on a hill (X degrees or more) press the barke and clutch down.

You feel a clunk in the foot pedal, you can then release most of the pressure of the footbrake, as long as the brake light is on it will hold the car.

When you are ready to move off you have 1.5 seconds to hit the gas and get the clutch engaged before the system lets the car roll back, if you do it faster than this, it releases at the biting point, it doesnt drag like the Renault system.
I found it worked really well. Wouldnt have minded that on my GT!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can't quite see why you're complaining the engine needs to be about 1500rpm to do anything. In most cars that would be near stall level, and certianly not have much power. My turbo does nothing until about 3200, but thats just half the fun, if you want to drive you have to drive it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been driving a 159 1.9 courtesy car for the past week while my 2.4 was being repaired. At first I thought it ok but got more and more annoyed with the lack of power. I was out accelerated by a Merc Sprinter Van yesterday - it really was a gutless turd. Buy the 2.4 and get it remapped, then you'll have no problem.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I drove the 1.9 159 at the Elfa Experience Day last Year and could not believe it was the same engine as in my GT! Fealt completely different and very weak.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was also disappointed in the 1.9 159. Not so much in the performance which I thought was ok for an entry level vehicle but it just seemed to have no character that you associate with Alfas.

I am not a great fan of diesels in sporting saloons despite their impressive power and economy but the 2.4 5 cylinder engine has a characteristic sound to it and doesn't feel out of place in the range.

It just feels like Alfa want to get out of the niche market and join the mainstream manufacturers with models like these. To quote Alfa's German Chief Exec "Perhaps Alfa has a little too much spirit for non-Alfisti, in its appearance, driving style and temperament"

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I went to a classic car show last weekend, and Alfa had a stand with a couple of their models on display.
What else should I see in their 159, aside from a diesel engine?
An auto!:wow:
I grabbed a photo too - see attachment.
I imagine this will make all you diesel owners in Europe happy - obviously it will be harder to catch the engine off boost, and turbos are quite suited to automatic transmissions - look at Saab. :rolleyes:
It'll be much better to sit in traffic jams in an auto diesel Alfa and not have to worry about gears.:p

·
Registered
170 Posts
That looks like it's a selespeed, if you look at the gearstick gate it looks like you can move it over to the right and you have semi-auto mode. Wonder what that will be like in the 159?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts