Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i came sooo close to crapping me pants yesterday.

I got in me car - started her up... then smelled eleccy burning.
I looked down to see some smoke whisps coming from the fuse box area.
Turned off the engine and the whisps kept on coming and got worse!
I've never in my life got out me car, unlocked me garage got a wee spanner and disconnected my battery sooo quick before!
Yup I shat meself thinking me car was gonne turn into an electrical firebomb.

I found out what's happened and i'm in the process of trying to fix.
I had to take off the access panel to the auxilliary fuse area, then moving as much of the stuff away and lowering the fuse tray so i can see what happened.
Basically part of the wiring loom that ges to the fusebox sits against the top panel of the body shell that the dash bolt to. This then runs down the front door pillar.
Where the wiring loom 'turns' from horizontal to vertical right in the corner, the wiring loom had chafed on the bodyshell and had cut through a cable.
Where the cable had cut through this is where some cabling had fused itself together and and fried a cable all of the way down to the fuse box and took out a fuse.
It must have been the car door shutting that final time or the engine shoogling the car into life that did the final deed.
Thank fook it was at home and not in the middle of nowhere
Dunno what would have happened and how far it would have gone if i hadn't of disconnected me battery so quick

So i'm gona rip the dash out tonight and replace the associated wiring.
Any special tips for taking the dash out? or is it just a case of taking out all the screws I can find and viola! That's my plan so far.

Cheers guys and beware!

J

·
Administrator
46,127 Posts
Mr T said:
Yes Jason, use the appropate tools. Not the claw hammer
You're no fun :rolleyes: ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just take out all the scews then! not knowing the fcuk to put it back together :eek:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally if this happens a fuse blows before any fire occurs, assuming there is an in-line fuse. If there isn't then.... bang! :eek:

Scary stuff, after having a short cause the car to fill with smoke at 50mph i treat unwarranted leccy burning smells with the utmost respect.

As for the dash, lever it out with a crowbar?

·
Registered
187 Posts
**** Jason!!!

Well done for acting so quicky on the smoke!

Let this be a lesson to us all.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a qualified leccy engineer so the repair work on the cabling should be a piece of !!!!. (soldering/ heatshrink etc) I'll inspect all the other cabling about there too incase anything else looks dodgy. And i think i'll put some padding over the offending bit of metalwork which cased the damage.

MT. The fuse got taken out as well as the cabling.. confused about this as the fuse should have stoppped everythign init's tracks, but i'm assuming the bodywork cutting through the wires had a hand in it going all to rat ****.

However the dash does look rather well put in.

Neil.. you sure i'm not allowed to use the claw hammer? how about me angle grinder... oh oh oh can I use me welder!! :) ;)

Tenner it starts raining as soon as i get home to rip the car apart :rolleyes:

J

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
When you do have the dash back in the car, and you discover the small pile of left over plastic, screws, nuts and foam; throw it all out the window.

A pound lost is acceleration speed gained!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jason77 said:
MT. The fuse got taken out as well as the cabling.. confused about this as the fuse should have stoppped everythign init's tracks, but i'm assuming the bodywork cutting through the wires had a hand in it going all to rat ****.
The wire would still be hot enough to heat/burn the insulation and create more smoke for a while after the fuse blew, and there's a small delay between the wire heating and the smoke being created as it transfers through the insulation, only a coupla seconds but in that situation it would have seemed like forever.

McGuinn said:
A pound lost is acceleration speed gained!
Everyone get dieting then!!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting the dash out aint easy but if you look at the bottom of the screen you will see 2 covers take them out to get to the screws then a matter of bolts/nuts and screws.

Can you not take the clocks out and get to it then as the dash will take a while to get out and then to replace.

Good luck anyway and if you meed another dash due to you making hammer and foot marks on it then i have 2 off them.

Ted

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with Nordic...it'll be a lot easier if you can do the wiring in situ, I've tried removing bits before and its a nightmare.

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

All of the bolts I can find are out but the bastid ain't coming out.
Lower dash is off as is the center console.
The 4 or 6 bolts are out of the bottom retaining area and the 2 front screw hidden by panels are also out.

It feels like the supporting bar that crosses from left to right under the dash across the windscreen edge is caught on sommit.

Me and me bro were tugging like hell and it feels like it's pivoting on sommit dead centre about 2" from the front. Cannae see no bolts or nowt and everything else is loose. I can move the edge nearest the back of the car up and down a few inches, but won't pull towared the back at all. The two screws have come out of the front from under the covers (one left and one right) even took the vents out as stated in the workshop manual.. like that did anything at all!

will look again tomorrow hope for inspiration and not me angle grinder to take over.

The only reason for taking the dash out is because the wiring chafed/cut right at a point where it spilt in two and went down the side and toward the back and the other split went up into the dash. If i can trace that and give it some slack.... well.. we'll see... but as i dunno where the wires went i'm buggered if i know how to get some slack.

ho hum.. back to another day of cack work wondering about car stuff.

To the guys who have taken the dash off before... does that supporting dash bar thing at the front catch/rest into sommit at the front i.e does it go upward slightly before pulling it out?I tried but didn't know how far/hard to pull incase it broke.
Is that bar supposed to be part of the dash? when thigs are getting 'shoogled' it moves too... is this just clip around and onto it? requireing brute force to unhinge it?
Is there gummy gluey **** holding the front end in?

Cheers for the ides so far guys

J

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Just to help heres the alfa interior manual
interior manual

hopefully this should tell you what you've missed unscrewing (ooerr!)

san

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CHeers san,

that's the doncumentation i'm working from.

It's the 'just remove dash' line i love. Th rear of the car edge is mega free and the front of the car edge moves about 1cm or so. It just won't come back at all.

Is there any gluey gummy stuff holding it in at all?

Will fiddle more again today when i get back from work

cheers again!

J

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Never taken the top dash out jase. I had enough problems with the bottom section :eek:

san

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:-

Well i managed to get the ash out in the end... more ignorance and brut force was needed. The glack tar on the sound deadening material had welded itself to the front/bottom of the dash, eventually got it out woop!

Only need to replace about 3" of 3 differant cables. looking good so far, will prolly sort this out tonight.

keep on truckin!

J

1 - 18 of 18 Posts