Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

before i bought my 147, the 1st thing i did was type into google "alfa romeo owners club"

this site was top, so i looked at it , then joined , then posted etc .

just now i thought i'd do it again and see what else was around.

i found a site AROC.

1st thing i noticed was it is a paying club........ if u dont pay you cant view the forums.

is it worth paying to join this club ??? £40 seems quite steep really(i can afford it)

why charge?
why charge so much ?

this site is free, brilliant, witty and knowledgeable...

how does this site run , by being free?

and is the AROC worth paying for and joining ?

·
Administrator
87,063 Posts
I've never bothered with AROC.

If you want you can help to keep AO running by becoming a paying member, more info here AO Club :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Naturally I'm going to say its worth it. It does events (AO don't) a decent bi-monthly full colour magazine, & is a proper regulated Club.

The AO forum beats the AROC forum in my opinion & you can't deny that AO forms proper friendships:)

Room for both for sure:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Naturally I'm going to say its worth it. It does events (AO don't) a decent bi-monthly full colour magazine, & is a proper regulated Club.

The AO forum beats the AROC forum in my opinion & you can't deny that AO forms proper friendships:)

Room for both for sure:thumbs:
I am a member of both and enjoy the activities of both.

I think AROC is well worth the membershoip fee.

Great very informative magazine 6 times a year.
( If you buy any car magazines how much does each one of them cost - all not cheap)

Fantastic meets through out the year as well.
Good fun and enjoy sharing Alfa experiences.

I don't smoke but the price of cigarettes these days its the equivalent of not to many packs.
Value for money - definate yes

Alan

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Sorry - for clarity, large scale national or international events.

You guys (Sean & Andy) know I'm a fan of AO & that no offence was meant:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I was a member of AROC and a section rep for a while. The magazine is good as is the camaraderie, but the forum isn't as well used as this one.

I'm no longer a member. I don't really miss the magazine, but I do miss some of the events.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
It comes down to whether you want to join a club or a forum.....AO is brilliant at the latter, but the club is in reality quite small, if you count the paying members - who effectively largely subsidise the rest, whilst getting very little apart from extra PM space in return. As said, some AO local "groups" do organise some events.....I'm always a bit twitchy about these, since as far as I know none of these carry public liability insurance, so if something bad happened, m'learned friends would have a field day screwing the organisers......

AROC is basically an "old-style" Car Club, based on the concept of regular local Section meetings and fully organised (and insured) events at both local and national level. If AROC were to dwindle and disappear, many of the meetings and events in which many posters on here participate simply wouldn't exist. Unfortunately the concept of "old-style" club leads some to believe that all the members are old f***s only interested in rust-polishing, which is far from the truth - many members do have a "classic" Alfa, but the majority run (or at least have :lol:) a modern or two, or three, as well. We're certainly all Alfisti!

I like Simon, am a member of the new AROC board, and the issue of the forum's availablity to none-members is a topic being actively debated. For our existing members, it isn't an issue - as many of them aren't interested in using the forum anyway - they have regular contact with other members and have often built long-term friendships through the Club. The debate is whether opening the forum to none-members would attract some of them to join, or merely add forum traffic without any benefit. Not sure how this will go.....

For me, AROC is an organisation I'm happy to be a member of, as I've been since 1979, as I've made many good friends through it. AO, alfa155.org, alfa156.net, alfa145.com etc are all forums that I'm equally happy to use, as we all have a common interest......none get any money from me except AO, and that's only for the PM space........and come renewal time I may reconsider that......as AO is now owned by a commercial company - so not a club, to my mind.

You pays your money, or not, and takes your choice:)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
As said, some AO local "groups" do organise some events.....I'm always a bit twitchy about these, since as far as I know none of these carry public liability insurance, so if something bad happened, m'learned friends would have a field day screwing the organisers......
AO has PLI to cover events organised by it's members and reps. :thumbs:
If AROC were to dwindle and disappear, many of the meetings and events in which many posters on here participate simply wouldn't exist.
That's not even close to being a fair comment - not a single one of the events listed in the AO calendar for January or February 2012 is an AROC meet.

none get any money from me except AO, and that's only for the PM space........and come renewal time I may reconsider that......as AO is now owned by a commercial company - so not a club, to my mind.
I'm not sure why this makes a difference, really. Nothing about the forum side of things has changed and AO was always a business (Alfaowner.com Ltd), albeit owned by an individual.
You pays your money, or not, and takes your choice:)
Quite. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
Is it remotely feasible that AROC integrates its forum with the AO forum (i.e. ditches the AROC forum and some sort of partnership be established)?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Is it remotely feasible that AROC integrates its forum with the AO forum (i.e. ditches the AROC forum and some sort of partnership be established)?

Plus One for that idea.

The AROC forum is so user unfriendly and to be honest a shadow of AO that I just use this site.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Why on earth would they want to do that? There is nothing wrong with their forum; less members use it than ours probably because their club demographic is totally different to ours! To access the AROC forum you must be an AROC member probably making it less susceptible to spam, trolls and the like. What they have is a very controlled environment and I'm sure that suits them very well.

How blending two forums, one with free access to a point, and the other only available to fee paying members and both owned by totally separate entities would work is beyond me. I can't see any advantage to AROC at all. And with the miscomprehension of what Premio means here (i.e. are we a club, do the members have a say and all the other arguments that raise their heads from time to time) adding a club dimension would only complicate matters further!

AROC is a long established and popular club. It's been around for a lot longer than AO. Most AO users use the forum for free. If they want to access AROC then they need to join that club!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Why on earth would they want to do that? There is nothing wrong with their forum; less members use it than ours probably because their club demographic is totally different to ours! To access the AROC forum you must be an AROC member probably making it less susceptible to spam, trolls and the like. What they have is a very controlled environment and I'm sure that suits them very well.

How blending two forums, one with free access to a point, and the other only available to fee paying members and both owned by totally separate entities would work is beyond me. I can't see any advantage to AROC at all. And with the miscomprehension of what Premio means here (i.e. are we a club, do the members have a say and all the other arguments that raise their heads from time to time) adding a club dimension would only complicate matters further!

AROC is a long established and popular club. It's been around for a lot longer than AO. Most AO users use the forum for free. If they want to access AROC then they need to join that club!

So eveyone on AO is a Troll or the like ??

I am a member of both bodies (and enjoy AROC immensly) but prefer this Forum as it is easier to use, much more informative and has a wider database ( maybe I have become one of the Trolls and the Like !! )
I am not saying its easy to do but nothing is impossible.
I enjoy AROC for the national /international and local meets.
I enjoy the magazine and the people who form the members.

I prefer the Forum on AO and would hazard a guess that of the people who are a member/have access to both forums will use the AO site more.

Many folks have the wrong view of AROC believing it to be the elist society it may or may not have been before.
That sort of attitude (Trolls and the Like ) strengthens that misconception

It might by linking up that it will get more members for AROC
We are after all lovers of Alfa cars.

I don't think because I can have access to a web site forum that makes me special.
I do not believe the vast majority of AROC members look down on AO and believe them to be Trolls or the like !!

I am sorry if some folks want to stay elitist but this is 2012 and not 1984 and thoughts are still allowed

Alan

·
Administrator
87,063 Posts

I think you've probably taken PG's Troll/Spammer comment the wrong way & what PG means is that Trolls/Spammers are unlikely to pay £40 to join a club so they can access a forum ;)

Not sure why a discussion about AROC ( or any other club/forum ) is taking on AO either :confused:
How AROC is run/managed is surely a discussion for the AROC forum ( if you've got access to it ;) )

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Time to lock this? it wont go anywhere good
I think you've probably taken PG's Troll/Spammer comment the wrong way & what PG means is that Trolls/Spammers are unlikely to pay £40 to join a club so they can access a forum ;)

Not sure why a discussion about AROC ( or any other club/forum ) is taking on AO either :confused:
How AROC is run/managed is surely a discussion for the AROC forum ( if you've got access to it ;) )
It was a discussion about linking the two forums that seems to have upset some folks.
Words can sometimes be used incorrectly.

I love AROC and I love AlfaOwner and I love all the people in both groups.
We are all Alfisti
Thats brotherly love.
Enough

Alan

M

·
0 Posts
What an absurd question. This is not at all what the OP said and I suspect you are well arare of this. I'll let others deal with other parts of your post and your misconstrued interpretation of others' contributions.

I've been a paid member of both organisations (but no longer of either - I was the very first paid up member on AO). The two organisations just serve different needs. Choose one, the other, both or none as you wish. Simple.

Is AROC worth the money? You'll just have to try it to see - for me it wasn't as I didn't make full use of the meetings and the excellent mag wasn't enough on it's own. The forum login took ages to arrive so in the end I never even tried it. AO does forums better.

Is AO worth the fee? Not in my opinion just for the extra PMs and no say in the organisation's running. It's not a club and never was as has been stated.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts

Of course that's what I meant! As if for one minute I would be suggesting that AO is full of trolls and spammers! I do spend a good deal of time, as a Mod, dealing with spammers especially so I know for a fact how easy it is for them to access this forum and, of course, they wouldn't pay to join AROC just to spam the forum!

There are hundreds of clubs in the UK alone, some with similar interests, that doesn't necessarily mean that those with similar interests should join together! As Richard said earlier AO is a great forum, AROC is a great club! AROC has a good forum; the only way to increase its usage is to use it!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts