Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The radio reception in my 155 has been rubbish ever since I got it, and I finally got around to trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

There's no power to the amplifier (I think it goes in the via the circular connector on the LHS of the amplifier box). I get no 12V between the brown/white and red/white cables.

Does anyone know where these cables start out? I can't even find any mention of the ariel amplifier (or any associated relays) in the handbook.

Everything else checks out OK (cables from amp to radio, rear window element).

Don't know if it's connected, but the remote release for the boot and boot light don't work either.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Z

·
0 Posts
You may already know this, but relay no.9 on the auxiliary bracket (apparently to the right of the fuse box under the dash, I think you remove that loose fitting bit of plastic beside your right knee) is the boot release relay. This is fitted with a 30 amp fuse (no.9 relay is 1 up from the bottom right). The relays are numbered from top right to left - 1 to 5 are on the first row, 6 to 8, 9 to 11, then 12 to 14.

This may sound stupid, but is the bulb in the boot OK ?? The light and release systems seem to be seperate from each other. The fuse for the boot light is on a line with the interior lights I think. I'm open to correction though.

Sorry, can't help with the amp problem.

Hope this is of use

Marlon

C

·
0 Posts
Hi daKlone

Power to the amplifier comes from the radio, that means that you need a radio with "antenna output" and connect the output to the red/green wire (on my car it is, could be another color on your's)

Hope this helps

Christian
155 2,5 V6

C

·
0 Posts
Is there really a head amp for the aerial? I assumed there was just a straight wire-connection from the aerial-plug at the radio end to the aerial in the rear screen. wink

W

·
0 Posts
Seem to remember a post recently saying there is a "booster" near the rear screen. Look under the "antenna 155" post.

wrinx

O

·
0 Posts
Hi!
The booster is a box a little bigger that a ciggarte pack under the centre brake light inside the boot.

Oliver

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies....

Marlon, I can hear the relay switching when I press the release button, so I guess that's okay. I will check the fuse though. Yep, the bulb is OK. Interestingly, the interior light dosn't come on when I open the doors, but I can switch it on via the roofline switches.

Christian U, so the ariel amp isn't powered from the car loom at all? Wierd. Do you mean the output from the head unit usually used to switch on external amps or electric ariels?

Clive, on my '92 2.0TS 8V the ariel amp is mounted under the rear parcel shelf, and has the two wires from the ariel going in the rear, a power connector on the LHS and an ariel output on the RHS.

Thanks again everyone.

C

·
0 Posts
Hi daKlone.

Well yes and no, it's the "same" power as for the radio, but the radio switchs on/off the power to the amp.

Happy easter to you and all the other guys!

Christian U

1 - 9 of 9 Posts