Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys having a nite mare with this one ready pull out the little bit of hair i have left but not giving up on her she will live again.
The problem was
the cam belt snapped.number 5 piston was damaged and broken a valve
i replaced all 10 valves had them reseated,head skimmed and pressure tested,she was re-shimmed new boots fitted then a new cam belt-tensioner-bottom crank pulley replaced.
thought it mite have been a dodgey injector on no.5 piston but have just ruled this out as just tried a good running injector. having same symptom as before .
SYMPTOMS
engine will start but runs lumpy and blows blue smoke.it will rev up-to 3000 rpm but wont go above this and smokes badly.
have you any ideas what could be causin this issue
i.e - turbo faulty , overfuelling coming to the end
any help would be much appreciated. thanks for your time
MY POCKETS WHERE DEEP BUT NOW THEY ARE EMPTY HAHAHA

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'll admit that I don't really know squat about diesel engines (other than the basics), but a couple of things spring to mind:

Valve guides - were they inspected when the head was off

Big end bearings - might have been damaged when the belt snapped?

Sorry I can't be of more help!

K

·
0 Posts
if you've had a broken valve then all the broken pieces will have gone through the turbo, only way out :( could be at fault, but then it should still tick-over clean enough :confused: does it miss-fire at idle?

·
Registered
71 Posts
hi guys all i can say is i personally stripped this for him so i had a new valve stem fitted and asked for the valve stems to be checked and seals were replaced 10 new valves were reseated and reshimmed with new buckets so at a guess i would say it wasn't the head that was the problem i was thinking maybe doin a compression test to see if this would throw any more light on the situation i checked that the pistons were all top dead when the head was off so if it had bent a con rod it would have shown up then so i didnt think there was a need to check the big ends....There has been a couple of theories brought up so far but i dont think its an ecu problem might be wrong im not an alfa mechanic so anythings possible... but iam very grateful to any help given for me to pursue at this time as im getting thin on ideas nowvery puzzling ???

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you replace the damaged No 5 piston?
i was told i didnt need to replace the piston by alfa mechanic should be ok as for damged valve going through turbo the valve head was in bedded in opening and snapped valve stem ....so cant really comment as i havent taken turbo off yet i havent gone down them lines as yet

·
Registered
591 Posts
did you do the same test as ade did on injector 5?
Pull the vacuum on the turbo....
Thought the injector would have cracked it ....

·
Registered
591 Posts
how you getting on with
the clutch......

·
Registered
71 Posts
as far as i no yamsa has done this but will have a look tomoz when i get chance just got mine to sort as well now slave cylinder to replace not the clutch

·
Registered
591 Posts
look on shop4parts or ebspares

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i had a piece of valve guide go through my turbo although it didnt cause a missfire it was low on boost
i did have a missfire whice was caused by a faulty crank sensor
but in your case if it wasnt missfiring before the belt snapped then it is unlikely the crank sensor would have failed at the same time
was there any damage to the bores?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
hi guys having a nite mare with this one ready pull out the little bit of hair i have left but not giving up on her she will live again.
The problem was
the cam belt snapped.number 5 piston was damaged and broken a valve
i replaced all 10 valves had them reseated,head skimmed and pressure tested,she was re-shimmed new boots fitted then a new cam belt-tensioner-bottom crank pulley replaced.
thought it mite have been a dodgey injector on no.5 piston but have just ruled this out as just tried a good running injector. having same symptom as before .
SYMPTOMS
engine will start but runs lumpy and blows blue smoke.it will rev up-to 3000 rpm but wont go above this and smokes badly.
have you any ideas what could be causin this issue
i.e - turbo faulty , overfuelling coming to the end
any help would be much appreciated. thanks for your time
MY POCKETS WHERE DEEP BUT NOW THEY ARE EMPTY HAHAHA
Hi Yamsa , did you replace the crankshaft bearings after the cam belt snapped ? After a collision like you had it is wise to replace them too,as after a few miles of the belt and all the gubbins being replaced they usually go .This might be what is causing the blue smoke ( possible big end failure on the way ) When the turbo is on its way out the smoke is usually black then huge plumes of grey when it eventually goes .
I have had all the same problems you have now including turbo letting go ,needed a refurbed one , intercooler refurbed and exhaust dismantled and cleaned due to oil ingestion .
Hope you get her fixed soon .:thumbs:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Though you may have had a piece go through the turbo, the symptoms described at the start are that of a stuck open EGR, if by some miracle a bit from the wreckage has found it's way into the EGR valve and wedged it, then this could be it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have replaced the top crank sensor didnt replace crankshaft bearings or check the big ends . so the next job is turbo off to check the fins then .
i have had the egr off smaky cleaned it out there was no debris there at all just soot
thanks guys
oh yes was told the piston would be ok as long as it hadnt damaged the con rod or scored the liner but yes there is a little bit of damage to it ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not a lot really.it forced a bit into the hollow in the center.there was no obvious cracks and the piston still came to the same level as the others.there wasn't any bad scoring on the bore either.was told it would be ok.thanks for reply

1 - 17 of 17 Posts