Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just had a 'Go to main dealer, engine management' light flash up and complete loss of my turbo. Car still works but after 30mph there jack all performance, pls tell me i dont need a new turbo????

Also any ideas a) what made/ n umber of turbo is in a 2004 2.4 JTD?
and any pointers to cost/ websites?

all help gratefully recieved, i currently feel sick as a dog...........:mad:

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
It's always worth doing a quick check of all the various air pipes.....one of these falling off can dramatically affect performance - I once had a Vectra TD (I know, but I was running a breakers and got it dirt-cheap) and periodically the engine management light would come on and the performance was crap - after a few months, I found a small (about 2mm) pipe was disconnected from a rubber elbow - reconnected it and WOW! - I had a turbo, performance, no management light......I was so embarassed with myself for not spotting it earlier!

For a recon turbo, if it comes to that, have a look in the Auto-trader - usually several firms advertising. Usual suspects may have second-hand ones....tho I haven't!

HTH

·
Registered
203 Posts
similar problem on a zafira td it was the pipe running into the wastegate valve pulled it out gave it a blow through reconnected an bingo turbo was back

so hoping yours is as easy

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
need more info than no drive over 30mph.

does it smoke?
when does it come on boost?
when does the management light come on - what happen just before?
could be anything from a split boost pipe, to split before turbo yet after amf, to bad amf, map sensor or sticking veins. even bad fuel press sensor.
need more info just to give a guess.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Could be the MAF on its way out, mine would only idle when it went. Unplug its electrical connector (on the pipe from the air filter to the turbo), if the car drives better then you have your culprit.
Cheers,
Simon

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
The car says go to main dealer. That would indicate a need for a mechanic to have a look. It would probably be a good place to start the investigation.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
First guess would be the MAF.
As simon said, unplugging the electrical sensor on the MAF could rule that out. MUCH cheaper than a new turbo.
A good independant garage should be able to sort you out no probs with the troubleshooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts