Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a feeling I know that this might turn out to be expensive, but I am hoping someone will ease my fears and tell me that its something cheap and small...

But coming home tonight from work on a main A-road in my 159 2.4 (210), coming down the slip road, I was behind a slow car. The road behind on the A road was clear, so in third gear, from low to medium revs, I floored it to get past the slower car.....and at first I thought the clutch was slipping, but a quick glance over at the turbo guage and it was bouncing up and down. Once it got to high revs, it still pulled like a train and the guage stayed towards the top of the dial. So I tried this again. Pulled off the road to a slip road, floored it in low revs, once it got to about 2K rpm, it started again......

I am sure there is something going on that has already been discussed on here a million times, but the search doesn't pull up anything specific. Does anyone know what this might be? Under light throttle, everything seems reasonably ok. But under heavy throttle from mid to low to mid revs, its doing the pulsing thing (which really does feel like a slipped clutch) pretty much every time I try now.

We have two weeks before the birth of our baby, we have just shelled out a load of money on it for new discs, pads, service and tyres......I don't really want to have to tell the wife more bad news when we don't have the money to pay for it.....so.....

Give me some good news please? I have a horrible feeling it won't be though......anyone have any ideas? Quite worried now...

Cheers

John

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Sounds a bit odd, my first step would be to clean the map sensor ...

·
Registered
183 Posts
No, that's (on a 1.9) pretty easy. If it's the turbo sensor, it measures inlet pressure. When the EGR is not disabled, it can be blocked badly so the readouts can be bad. I've cleaned mine just yesterday. Not that I noticed much difference, but the turbo was a little more subtile when going into boost than normal.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
What they said, or your EGR valve could be stuck open. AFAIK at low revs, you get no boost as the boost air is flowing straight into the exhaust manifold and bypassing the engine. At higher revs, the increased back pressure means you get boost air into the engine, so the power returns.

There are tutorial threads on here for how to clean it yourself, otherwise it's a relatively simple Indy dealer job. :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
What they said, or your EGR valve could be stuck open. AFAIK at low revs, you get no boost as the boost air is flowing straight into the exhaust manifold and bypassing the engine. At higher revs, the increased back pressure means you get boost air into the engine, so the power returns.

There are tutorial threads on here for how to clean it yourself, otherwise it's a relatively simple Indy dealer job. :)
If you're at full throttle then the egr will closed whatever the rpm, it's generally open when the car is under a constant load, e.g. Motorway cruising

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
When i first bought my car, it couldnt hold full boost and would 'bounce' around the top of the boost gauge under full throttle. Redex diesel treatment and a few tanks of millers ecomax diesel treatment later, now holds full boost no problem. Might be worth a shot for you too :thumbs:

·
Registered
238 Posts
My money is on a stuck turbo vanes. I had something slightly similar on a VAG engine. 2000rpm, asked for full boost and got surging and eventually an engine warning light. The variable turbo vanes has become gunked up and caused an overboost condition.

Mine went away by itself after an Italian Tune Up but there are products out there that claim to help.

Ian A.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! This is all great and definitely gives me something to at least to start with. I think the turbo issue is a little worrying, so reckon that will be the last thing to investigate and think I have at least a heirarchy of cheapness to work on. I reckon the diesel cleaner will be a start, then the EGR sensor DIY, then the EGR sensor indy garage and then....the dreaded turbo vanes...I am so hoping its not that. Any more info will be great, keep it coming, but I have something to start on. Thanks guys!

M

·
0 Posts
When I first got my 2.4 159 it never used to hold boost when you floored it. So done a quick search on 'loose turbo hose' and put another jubilee clip round the turbo and now its holding boost all the way to the red line.
Might be worth trying

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I first got my 2.4 159 it never used to hold boost when you floored it. So done a quick search on 'loose turbo hose' and put another jubilee clip round the turbo and now its holding boost all the way to the red line.
Might be worth trying
Ok, need to find out where all this is. I don't really know the geography of the engine at the moment, so will have to do a bit more research on this. Thanks for the heads up. Another thing to check off the list. Appreciated

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you look down at the turbo (near radiator) at the end of the hose on to the turbo look for oil around the turbo.

Not saying it will cure it but worth a try
Thank you SO much for that! I will try and have a look tomorrow and see if this could be part of the problem. I hadn't even realised this was part of the turbo system! Good stuff! Really apppreciate that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
john,

How did you get on with the pulsing - my new (to me!) 159 does this on the motorway. Dont notice it at low speeds/ town driving. I reckon the noise would drive me to distraction on a long drive!

Let me know what worked for you. Otherwise I may book her into a garage to have a look...

Thanks,

Colin

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Colin. I have to admit, I haven't actually done anything about this yet to be honest. On a daily basis, it is very intermittent, and with the very recent birth of our daughter, other things have been on my mind to be honest. But my intention is to get to this as the symptoms have come back after being away for a week or too. I have to replace a bulb as well so will be taking a trip to Halfrauds to see what I can pick up. Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yes.... On a 210, it's often sticking valves leading to a new ( phase 2) or reconditioned cylinder head.

Only after you've eliminated everything else though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts