Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, are you?:biglaugh:

So, the dim xennons are gone in my 159.

It's 8 years in so fair enough. But, why is my manual telling me not to change myself for fear of meeting the grim reaper.

Is this something mere mortals can attempt?

Also, I have the bi-xenons Can you let me know the code to order ... And for bonus points - where?

Yours in danger
Smcgiff

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Yes you can change HID bulbs........ Just don't have them turned on while doing it....!

Bit of a Darwin Award test....

Your manual will tell you the correct HID bulb to buy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's easy to do. But!

Dont touch the contacts in the connector as the ballasts have a large capacitor that can still have charge when off but they are quite recessed so you have to try to hurt yourself.

Dont touch the glass on the bulb as oils in your skin can cause a hot spot and cause the glass to crack just like halogens.

Before you shell out £60+ on a bulb make sure the ballast or fuse is not the failure part. Best way is to swap the bulbs. (Halfords do a D1S quite cheap £60, but euro car parts do Philips for £90 ish but is a much better bulb)

If both stopped working at the same time you may need to look further up the chain.

I recently had an OE ballast fail on mine. It started flickering randomly, then it would only come on for a few seconds, than would not come on at all. Took bumper off, headlamp out, ballast off headlight, opened ballast (4 screws) quite abit of moisture was inside and the terminals wee shorting/ corroding. the PCB is stuck to the base with silicon and can be carefully levered off.
cleaned it all up and checked all the tracks and contacts (luckaly it had not got too bad) put it back together (used non corrosive silicone (rs) to reseal and stick pcb.) and it all works.

The whole job took about 2 hours. It was probably luck on my part that is was not to far gone but given the cost of a new ballast it is worth a try before you buy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's easy to do. But!

Dont touch the contacts in the connector as the ballasts have a large capacitor that can still have charge when off but they are quite recessed so you have to try to hurt yourself.

Dont touch the glass on the bulb as oils in your skin can cause a hot spot and cause the glass to crack just like halogens.

Before you shell out £60+ on a bulb make sure the ballast or fuse is not the failure part. Best way is to swap the bulbs. (Halfords do a D1S quite cheap £60, but euro car parts do Philips for £90 ish but is a much better bulb)

If both stopped working at the same time you may need to look further up the chain.

I recently had an OE ballast fail on mine. It started flickering randomly, then it would only come on for a few seconds, than would not come on at all. Took bumper off, headlamp out, ballast off headlight, opened ballast (4 screws) quite abit of moisture was inside and the terminals wee shorting/ corroding. the PCB is stuck to the base with silicon and can be carefully levered off.
cleaned it all up and checked all the tracks and contacts (luckaly it had not got too bad) put it back together (used non corrosive silicone (rs) to reseal and stick pcb.) and it all works.

The whole job took about 2 hours. It was probably luck on my part that is was not to far gone but given the cost of a new ballast it is worth a try before you buy.

Good luck.
Thanks very much.

They went at different times(I think). By went I mean...

They are flickering. They might come on, flicker for a minute or two then turn off.

The cars in front must think I'm flashing them. :depressed:

It looks like both the DIM and main are D1S, so I can switch them across (and pray)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not quite you only have 1 D1s per side. this is for the dip beam. High beam is a combination of a flap that opens on the hid /D1s and a standard halogen bulb on the inner of the 3 lights.

To be honest it sounds like the ballast to me as hid bulbs tend to work or not. I would take out one of the ballasts and see if it is wet or corroded inside. If they are still working to some degree you might be lucky that they are not to far gone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just noticed something else you posted. Halfords.ie have a Philips D1S bulb for 80 Euro approx £60. Was thinking of getting two of those.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah *expletive*. Know nothing about ballasts. Taking bumpers off etc. might be beyond me.

Will give it a try though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If they are Philips for that price that is excellent, but i think that they are Halfords own brand which i am sure are fine but i have no experience of.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they are Philips for that price that is excellent, but i think that they are Halfords own brand which i am sure are fine but i have no experience of.
Not sure I understand correctly.

Does the main beam cluster contain a D1S bulb? Just to swap over to check the DIMS to see if I'm snookered and need new ballast.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bumper is not to bad.

4 torx bolts on top near bonnet catch, several bolts/screws underneath (6ish) from bumper to belly pan, 2 screws and 1 bolt in each of the wheel arches. Then from the wheel arch pull the bumper outwards and it will un-clip along the line of the wing. When this is loose on both sides lift the middle top of the bumper over the bonnet catch then pull forward from the side just near the light to release the last of the clips. Dont forget that the headlight washers and foglight wire connect the bumper to the car but you dont need to disconnect them just dont forget they are there so you dont more the bumper to far away

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bumper is not to bad.

4 torx bolts on top near bonnet catch, several bolts/screws underneath (6ish) from bumper to belly pan, 2 screws and 1 bolt in each of the wheel arches. Then from the wheel arch pull the bumper outwards and it will un-clip along the line of the wing. When this is loose on both sides lift the middle top of the bumper over the bonnet catch then pull forward from the side just near the light to release the last of the clips. Dont forget that the headlight washers and foglight wire connect the bumper to the car but you dont need to disconnect them just dont forget they are there so you dont more the bumper to far away
Hah! Thanks very much. Can just see myself pulling it off and seeing I've pulled off the washers . I presume there's a ballast one on each side.

Will do some Google/YouTube research.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From the front of the car inner 2 lamps are halogen high beam, middle 2 are standard bulb side and indicator and outer 2 are xenon/hid D1s.

If one of your outer most lights is working you can swap it with the other outer most light to see if the problem moves. if the problem moves it is most likely the bulb if it stays the same it is most likely a ballast or other issue.

there are ballasts for sale on eBay. these ballasts are used on lots of cars but there have been reports that some version make the light work but stop the auto headlight adjustment which is an MOT failiure. The correct Alfa 159
ballast ends in 123

Hope this helps

Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
From the front of the car inner 2 lamps are halogen high beam, middle 2 are standard bulb side and indicator and outer 2 are xenon/hid D1s.

If one of your outer most lights is working you can swap it with the other outer most light to see if the problem moves. if the problem moves it is most likely the bulb if it stays the same it is most likely a ballast or other issue.

there are ballasts for sale on eBay. these ballasts are used on lots of cars but there have been reports that some version make the light work but stop the auto headlight adjustment which is an MOT failiure. The correct Alfa 159
ballast ends in 123

Hope this helps

Good luck
Yes 1 ballast per side screwed to the bottom of the headlight. Headlight is held in with 3 screw one of which is behind the bumper hence having to remove it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more info which may help with whether bulb or ballast diagnosis.

Even if all the lights are lighting (for lack of better word) an error message comes on straight away.

Also, mains seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some more info which may help with whether bulb or ballast diagnosis.

Even if all the lights are lighting (for lack of better word) an error message comes on straight away.

Also, mains seem to be working fine.
Oh not sure what that means. I did not think the xenons were monitored by Can-bus. I had no error messages on mine.

I'm off now. I will check back later to see how you got on.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

ballast ends in 123

Hope this helps

Good luck
That's great info thanks. I'll swap over bulbs first.

Car is in the garage, getting a blocked DPF "fixed".

Having the DPF and possibly xenon ballast issues at the same time. Got to love modern cars !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
hi all,
my 159 is 8 years old now and the lightning (bixenon) started to disappointing me. nowadays i notice a different issue, the left side bulb gives yellow light as h7 bulb. i wonder is it balast issue or just bulb issue? i think best way to understand it swap the bulbs and observe is it still yellow light on the right. does this sound familiar to anyone?
as well as i plan to replace the lenses and bulbs with originals and clean the headlight ,thus i hope i will have a good visibility again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
hi all,
my 159 is 8 years old now and the lightning (bixenon) started to disappointing me. nowadays i notice a different issue, the left side bulb gives yellow light as h7 bulb. i wonder is it balast issue or just bulb issue? i think best way to understand it swap the bulbs and observe is it still yellow light on the right. does this sound familiar to anyone?
as well as i plan to replace the lenses and bulbs with originals and clean the headlight ,thus i hope i will have a good visibility again

I believe that the ballast works in 4 stages, startup, takeover, run up, stable state.

The voltage and current are set in run up and these can affect the color. I would suspect the ballast but i am not an expert.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe that the ballast works in 4 stages, startup, takeover, run up, stable state.

The voltage and current are set in run up and these can affect the color. I would suspect the ballast but i am not an expert.
thank you but i solved the problem. problem was bulb. i swap bulbs and it lighted yellow again on the other socket

1 - 20 of 22 Posts