Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about so many people replacing batteries for a multitude of reasons, I realised that I'm still on the factory battery at almost 5 years and 55k miles.. Am I lucky or is it the norm? I seem to read about many cases that require battery changes and am starting to suspect misdiagnosis. My start stop is always activated and works 100% except if the car sits in the garage for a week or two..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Battery is chemical device. If you open it, top with the water yearly, make a discharge/charge circle, battery would last longer. I still have original AR battery for 2008 production car. It is not nice for -10"C or lower temperature but it works perfect than worm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe my car is still on the same battery at 58k and 5 years old.

But the Stop/Start doesnt last that long before the engine has to restart. I usually disconnect Stop/Start anyway so not a big problem for me.

I think I will be changing my battery this year before winter to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is there any way I can check to see if the battery is the original one or a new one? (I bought my car after it was 4+ years old).

PS My Stop Start works perfectly, and I'm actually happy with it! (Maybe I'm one of the minority!)

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'm on my 3rd and S/S works perfectly (it should really be the 2nd as garage fitted the wrong battery on the 2nd occasion)

Once an AGM battery is degraded I don't think there's much point in charging it as you really need to fit a new one.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
$8,500 miles and 5 years at the end of next month. S/S works once the battery has had sufficient miles to get into tip top condition. The car can often stand for two or three weeks only doing about 3 miles on a Sunday so I am not surprise the S/S doesn't work that much but once away on holiday and get 400 or so miles done it will kick in(funnily enough often not until the next day).

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Battery is chemical device. If you open it, top with the water yearly, make a discharge/charge circle, battery would last longer. I still have original AR battery for 2008 production car. It is not nice for -10"C or lower temperature but it works perfect than worm.
AGM batteries don't hold water to top up, they can be used upside down even.
but other than that you are correct, even most maintenance free batteries aren't maintenance free and require regular top ups. I do it for every customer that comes in if the batteries are in any way serviceable.

Mine's still original, 3.2 years and 45k miles btw.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Is there any way I can check to see if the battery is the original one or a new one? (I bought my car after it was 4+ years old).

PS My Stop Start works perfectly, and I'm actually happy with it! (Maybe I'm one of the minority!)

Cheers,

Ben
original batteries are branded with fiat/alfa/lancia logo and made by Exide. they also say "heavy duty"

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
My original died two months ago. It was just about 5 and a half years old.

The stop start hadn't worked for ages, but other than that it was fine until it just completely died suddenly.

·
Registered
36,838 Posts
Mines the original from when I bought the car almost five years ago and since I've stopped using it five days a week the S/S has not intervened. Perhaps I should add a battery to the service/brakes/tyres etc I've shelled out for in the last week or so?

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
AGM batteries don't hold water to top up, they can be used upside down even.
but other than that you are correct, even most maintenance free batteries aren't maintenance free and require regular top ups. I do it for every customer that comes in if the batteries are in any way serviceable.

Mine's still original, 3.2 years and 45k miles btw.
Well... If I need to replace battery I would stay with maintenance friendly one.
I do not have much experience to replace them in my car life. It is probably because I have always cared batteries since I am old school guy this way.
Friendly speaking if I need to replace battery it is one of signs for me that my car gets older and to be replaced soon.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Keep fingers cross is something applicable to AIDS test at least or something similar.
Dead battery is just to be replaced.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Also worth remembering:

Cold reduces the power output of a battery temporarily, until it gets back in it's comfort zone.
Heat kills batteries. During summer is where they get permanently damaged though often the symptoms don't show until winter when the capacity reduces further.

I fitted mine with a jacket and a hat to protect it from heat.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I know god medicine to care battery properly.
A. Buy electrical Tesla
B. Check the cost traction battery replace.
It definitely force owner to care battery properly.
Batteries are subject to specific warranty conditions normally.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Also worth remembering:

Cold reduces the power output of a battery temporarily, until it gets back in it's comfort zone.
Heat kills batteries. During summer is where they get permanently damaged though often the symptoms don't show until winter when the capacity reduces further.

I fitted mine with a jacket and a hat to protect it from heat.
Can we spot it in a Where's Whalley publication? :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts