Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Would you like to see an Alfa turbo engine in the 1.8 to 2.0 litre range?

• Yes, it would be very interesting! I love the idea!

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • No, I don't think Alfa should develop such engine!

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Hmm... I haven't really made up my mind on that. Maybe yes, maybe not...

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past Italians have been leading in the field of turbo charged engines.
Now, more and more car manufacturers (ie. BMW-known for it persistance on atmosperic engines so far- or Audi) are developing 1.8 or 2.0 lt turbo charged engines for their mid-range cars.
In my opinion, the lack of a turbo-charged engine in the 1.8-2.0lt range is prominent in the Alfa Romeo range.

Am I the only one thinking that?
Please vote...

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Why not? With ever increasing emissions controls,it makes a lot more sense than big capacity V6s.
The TS,JTS could use a load more low down torques aswell.
VAGs new turbo fsi 2.0 litre in the new Golf GTI and Audi A3/4 has received very good press coverage.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I like turbos but for me the feel of the engine's i've driven don't fit in with Alfa's character. Would have to drive an Alfa tuned engine before i decide.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Supercharger would be nice or a progressive turbo (low pressure like Saab?).

But 4WD would be good too - isn't this what Alfa are planning for the future anyway?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
AlfaJack said:
They have had it in the past :rolleyes: :D ;) :p :)
just goes to show that you can't keep a good idea down :D

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Stori said:
Now a Supercharger would be a better idea.....

the one thing the 1.8 and 2.0 TS engines need is Bottom end torque which is exactly what a Supercharger would do :D
Perfect words there Stori ;) So very true would,nt mind a supercharger in my 147 what do you say ? need a bit more take off power I think.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I voted for: Maybe yes, maybe not... why? Because I love the purity of an atmospheric engine, like the lovely V6. But on the other side, some of my dream cars use turbos (on a brand that's traditionaly atmospheric) - like Ferrari, and its 288GTO. :cool: Even Alfa has a great V6TB... :cool:

So, my idea is, it can work with both solutions and I'm sure i'll love it. :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Stori said:
Now a Supercharger would be a better idea.....

the one thing the 1.8 and 2.0 TS engines need is Bottom end torque which is exactly what a Supercharger would do :D
Exactly what a turbo would do as well. Peak torque is normally at 2600rpm and plateaus at the same level until over 5500rpm. Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Isn't the 1.9JTD a turbo? Don't get them here so I would not know.

If the 33 P4's 4WD system is anything to go by you never want to see another 4WD Alfa ever again.

I however would prefer to see a supercharged Alfa, probably a large V6 (3.5L sounds about right!), for reason I have been into many times before.

Simon

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmm...turbo?
Why not. :rolleyes:

But with the P4 drivetrain and a bi-turbo v6 (GTAm??).
And a 4 cilinder Q4 such as the good ol' 155.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Sitting on the fence here. The idea of a lightly blown 1.8-2.0 with bags of torque is very appealing and Alfa certainly need something to fill the chasm between the 165bhp JTS and the 250bhp GTA.
However, you have to ask why manufacturers are having to resort to forced induction...is it the only way to get nice torquey smaller capacity engines? I seem to recall 'old tech' 8v engines being a lot more flexible than the newest 16v units, so why not go back to that way if thinking?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Nigel S said:
Exactly what a turbo would do as well. Peak torque is normally at 2600rpm and plateaus at the same level until over 5500rpm. Very nice indeed.
Unless you you use a low pressure Turbo or twin turbos the effect of a supercharger and turbo are opposite.
ie Supercharger will give you botoom to mid range power and the Turbo mid to top end power.

The 147 2.0 TS motor is a gutless wonder under 2500 RPM and is hard to get moving especially from a stand still.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
What you guys need is a Turbo convercion from Autodelta. :cool: ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Stori said:
Unless you you use a low pressure Turbo or twin turbos the effect of a supercharger and turbo are opposite.
ie Supercharger will give you botoom to mid range power and the Turbo mid to top end power.

The 147 2.0 TS motor is a gutless wonder under 2500 RPM and is hard to get moving especially from a stand still.
Sorry, but that is only true of the old 80's homologation turbos like Cosworths and Quattros. All new road turbo engines build up from 2500rpm onwards with abosolutely no lag. The only difference is the way in which the compressor is driven, to drive, they are as good as identical. My brother's new Astra turbo coupe is absolutely smooth with bags of low power, better than this old Calibra was and that was only six or so years ago.

·
Registered
400 Posts
wld love to see turbos in an Alfa... however, wld prefer IF they put them turbos on slightly bigger capacity engines; 2.2litre, 2.5litre etc to also give the engine that "BREADTH" on long highways and at high speeds when the turbo has essentially done its job...

am i making sense?? :rolleyes: :D :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts