Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
But given that only a limited number of children are in school are they not being taken in groups by one teacher while others work on lessons for those at home? I know that my son (works for Nottinghamshire) and daughter in law (Derbyshire) are in school only certain days and at home the rest of the time working on lessons for the internet and other school related duties (they are both heads of departments).

·
Administrator
45,664 Posts
You might be right. I don't know enough to say for sure how they're organising it, and not willing to vilify them any further than to say it seems 'disappointing'.

Reactions: TonyGr

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ha ha, well I am a control systems safety engineer, basically I test the ride control systems and issue safety certificates at the beginning of each season which allow the parks to operate the rides with public for a 12 month period. I even get to play around with an accelerometer which measures the speeds and G-forces. :)

I was involved with Wickerman from start, right up to completion and handover, it was a nice project be involved in, same guys also did ICON at Blackpool which again was a good project to be involved with for many reasons. Glad you enjoy rides, hopefully they will get some sort of running this year. (y)
I think we’ve just worked out which AO-er has the most fun job 😎😎👍👍

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You might be right. I don't know enough to say for sure how they're organising it, and not willing to vilify them any further than to say it seems 'disappointing'.
Yes I am finding the school that my daughters both attend has been pretty poor at adding any real modicum of "over and above" effort to the very boggest of standard they are providing.

The school my son attends, on the other hand, has really made an effort.

These are both state schools. We specifically decided against private school for reasons of our own - but money wasn't one of those reasons.

Seeing the massive disparity between what private schools are doing for our neighbours kids and what state schools are doing for our kids (even my son's school is a pale shadow by comparison) leaves me thoroughly depressed about it all.

The pitiful effort made by our daughter's school - despite virtually all parents complaining - is just rebuffed with platitudes about "following guidelines" and "we have to be aware that some kids don't have access to online resources". In reality I think it comes down to how individual schools are dealing with it all.

If my wife and I didn't set our own stuff out for the girls - I would conservatively estimate that the work sent to them via Google Classroom by their school takes them about 45 minutes per day to complete. Maximum. It's pitiful really.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
….. "we have to be aware that some kids don't have access to online resources". ….
So what it really means is that we want them all to be at the same standard when they return as having to catch up those who don't have access to the online resources and have, therefore, fallen behind is going to make teaching that much harder. The majority must suffer for the sake of the minority.

This actually brings to mind a quote from one of my old teachers from the early 1960s "The speed of the convoy is the speed of the slowest ship". At the time this was the orthodox approach to education in that you were taught as a class and not as individuals but I really thought it had been thoroughly debunked and discredited.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
With the school situation, it’s probably to do with the Government having left the decision to their scientific advisors.
I’ve said the 2 meter rule has no scientific evidence, the WHO has advised 1M. They’ve also done several U-turns on other advice they’ve put out

Here’s an example of what teachers are dealing with

Also Covid-19 was downgraded from ‘High Consequence Infectious Disease’ (HCID) classification months ago before lockdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I've been really impressed with the schooling my kids are getting, but it is private (albeit with 40% fee reduction this term). They have a full normal timetable each day, from 8:45 to 4pm, with normal breaks. Everyone has to log on, and the teacher is there on the screen. If the kid doesn't log on, we get a call or email. Still doing tests, PE, music lessons etc. I know we are paying for it, but the school has made a real effort/investment in the technology, and the kids are about as busy with school work and homework as normal.

When making the decision about private schooling, I was really torn/unsure, and to be honest, it is a struggle financially to send them, scraping around every term to pay the bills, and I will be working for ever to pay for it. But I'm pleased I did now.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've been really impressed with the schooling my kids are getting, but it is private (albeit with 40% fee reduction this term). They have a full normal timetable each day, from 8:45 to 4pm, with normal breaks. Everyone has to log on, and the teacher is there on the screen. If the kid doesn't log on, we get a call or email. Still doing tests, PE, music lessons etc. I know we are paying for it, but the school has made a real effort/investment in the technology, and the kids are about as busy with school work and homework as normal.

When making the decision about private schooling, I was really torn/unsure, and to be honest, it is a struggle financially to send them, scraping around every term to pay the bills, and I will be working for ever to pay for it. But I'm pleased I did now.
Thing is - I'm not sure it really is a big investment question for schools to be able to do this. My son's school is a state school, but they've been good although he isn't in the setup you describe above re normal schedule etc - some of his classes have the teacher online (others don't). His school have been using tech to set homework and track scores/feedback all year and that's continued well.

The girls school is just not engaged on it. They have Google Classroom and all the facilities to enable a decent effort - but the teachers aren't present on it. Just post a few links and a couple of simple attachments every few days.

It's a failure of leadership on a per school basis I think. The government guidelines certainly give schools the scope to do very little - but only a few seem to have chosen to take that option. Sadly my girls are at one that has done that.

The angle with Private schools is that they all know that if they DON'T do it they will lose pupils - whereas state schools who don't bother have no real downside.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
My boy has been getting assignments every week and his teacher has been calling every week for a brief one-on-one conversation/discussion with him. The work takes him about an hour each weekday. His teacher explains that she isn't spending much time with him because he's well ahead and doesn't need it and there are other pupils who are finding it more challenging during lock-down. He's quite diligent and I'm fine with that and I'm not worried. He'll be moving to secondary school next term and the ground rules have yet to be finalised in Ireland. We'll have to see how that turns out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With regards to getting back to normal, I have not stopped working at all (key worker), but even the routine of work and then locked up at home is like groundhog day. Wife panics in case I get it or bring it home (she says I'm too fat, lol).
One guy at work has had it twice, (tested positive) and I work closely with him. Several staff having too isolate, due to the positive result. No social distancing at work (expendable) and not possible.

With regards to the schooling, my daughter is in state school and is getting plenty of work come through, wife's a teacher so makes my life easier on that front.

Most looking forward to a beer in a pub and a concert or two.

Stay safe all, its not gone yet, but it will :)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts