Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now some lockdown has been lifted - for those that adhered to it, anyway - what are you now doing or have done that’s as close to normal as it was before?

I saw my folks today, which was also the longest drive I’ve done for months. Gotta say - in that time, loads of roads have been resurfaced and pot holes filled. Pretty good day out, in all 👍

how about you?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nope...not a chance. I'm regarded as most at risk so am not supposed to go out the front door. I do though...have a drive in the Giulia every day but don't get out of the car. We have big gardens so that's ok, walk about with a few tinnies😀 just have to wait until end of June for anything different.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope...not a chance. I'm regarded as most at risk so am not supposed to go out the front door. I do though...have a drive in the Giulia every day but don't get out of the car. We have big gardens so that's ok, walk about with a few tinnies😀 just have to wait until end of June for anything different.
Oops, sorry mate. In my enthusiasm, I forgot some folks’ movements are still a bit restricted. You’ll be let out soon 👍

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Me too.....u sound like me photoman......am in same vulnerable status.....same old same old in abnormal times....am not complaining.....it is what it is.
Though I suspect me and the missus are enjoying the separate beds.....her more than me.....I am on a pathetic mattress in the front room that is killing my back....but as I said...not a word of complaint....grrrrrrrr ;)

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Nothing has changed for me either.
This government inspire absolutely no trust or confidence in me.
They seem to be easing restrictions totally in the face of scientific advice.
I will carry on as before: social distancing, mask wearing when I can't avoid interior public places (eg shopping).

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m now thinking this thread was a month premature 😳😉

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thank you Chris 👍

and apologies again if maybe it was a little tactless 🤭

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Mate, not at all tactless, and no apology required 🙂
There’s still time for peeps who have managed some return to normality to let us know 👍🙂

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I've been trying to...
We have strict guidelines for working and the office is still closed (although if you fill in a risk assessment you can go in, so long as there are no more than 3 in at anyone time). We do a lot of field work in our job and we have teams that work together (2m apart which is difficult) and travelling in separate vans (none of this 2 or 3 up in transit that I see too much of).
But one thing I have thought about is not going back to the way it was for me. Less driving for me, please, or at least more overnights in hotels (When they are open again) to cut back on the ridiculous hours I was spending at the wheel. I still enjoy the travel, just need to make it less tiring. Next week its Reading to Macc in the day and then Reading to Taunton in a day.
Plus I do have asthma so have to remember this is puts me at a higher risk if I develop symptoms. Less interaction with clients on site.
My car now has a box in the foot-well with disposable gloves, antiseptic wipes and gel and now face masks. The "New Normal" for me.
I can see my kitchen being my office, my workshop and food preparation area for a few months yet.

PS I do need to get up to Yorkshire to see my Mum, a big 8 hour round trip for a couple of hours in the garden (Might camp in her garden as I'm not allowed in the house!)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jp - are there rules about how long you can spend driving a work vehicle? Obvs lorry drivers have rules, what about in other company vehicles? You are doing big journeys there.

Reactions: jparkin486

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Cheers Scudetto. Yeah I have to take breaks every 2 hrs, with no more than 8 hours driving in a day. Macclesfield and back is about the limit I can do in the day. I'm happy to do the miles but I did often do overnight stays, which I can't at the moment. Although Air BnB's may be allowed soon.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Won't be changing anything in the short term. Don't have to as I don't work, and there are enough 'vulnerables' in the house to keep us locked down.

Masks sound like a good idea. Can anyone recommend the best type, source etc please?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Scudetto. Yeah I have to take breaks every 2 hrs, with no more than 8 hours driving in a day. Macclesfield and back is about the limit I can do in the day. I'm happy to do the miles but I did often do overnight stays, which I can't at the moment. Although Air BnB's may be allowed soon.
Ok, well just drive safe. No point risking your neck.

Reactions: jparkin486

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
That's not true now though...even high risk folks have been allowed to go out for the last few days as long as they stick to distancing rules. Whether you choose is a different thing of course and entirely up to you...but you can as of the latest advice.

BO T. I'm finding life more normal now as my work was allowed to open last Monday. We are a caravan dealer and originally we were going to be allowed to open on the 15th with all the other non essential shops...but due to some successful lobbying by our trade organisation they decided we should be treated like car dealers so we could open on the 1st. Not quite normal with all the distancing and so on....but I'm amazed at how busy it's been...sold 4 first day back. People are looking at caravanning as probably one of the only ways they might get a holiday this year...long may it continue! Sites open in a few weeks...even if their facilities probably wont so it should keep ramping up.
My boy also returned to school this week (year 6)...and for those (wrongly) saying it's a risk...well let me tell you the chances of dying from COVID from contracting it at school are completely insignificant to the chance of him dying at home if he had stayed there much longer!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My boy also returned to school this week (year 6)...and for those (wrongly) saying it's a risk...well let me tell you the chances of dying from COVID from contracting it at school are completely insignificant to the chance of him dying at home if he had stayed there much longer!
Lol! 😂

1 - 20 of 51 Posts