Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Are you Down-sizing???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around this time last year I had decided that I was going to replace my 156 with a 159 in March 2008. However, I then got offered a job so delayed any large financial commitments whilst I saw how the new job worked out.

However, I now commute to work by train so my annual mileage has fallen from about 13k to less than 2k; we no longer need to get prams and pushchairs in the boot and I now quite often end up parking in multi-storey car parks etc. So I no longer particularly want a car the size of a 159 and will (hopefully) be getting a MiTo.

Is anyone else planning to down-size?

G

·
I've given my alfa to the wife, and we're selling her 306 estate.

And I've bought my little bike, so that's about as big a bit of downsizing as I reckon i'll be doing

G

·
As the majority of journeys, for me, are to-and-from work
a MiTo would actually make an awful lot of sense.

However it would break my rule of always buying
a more powerful car than the previous one.
Also for those half dozen long trips I take a year
I've really gotten used to having a comfy, safe, planted
fast cruiser.

So no.

:p

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
went from a 159 2.4 JTDm SW to a 159 1.9 JTDm saloon this year.......that's it for now I think ;)

although a new job means the train for me so we'll be getting rid of my wifes car soon.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As the majority of journeys, for me, are to-and-from work
a MiTo would actually make an awful lot of sense.

However it would break my rule of always buying
a more powerful car than the previous one.
Also for those half dozen long trips I take a year
I've really gotten used to having a comfy, safe, planted
fast cruiser.

So no.

:p
But the MiTo GTA is supposed to have 230bhp - more than your Brera :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Been looking at the Brera know mine is coming up to 3 years old, and the sprog is getting a bit older

Not sure if you'd class that as downsizing or not, but it's quite exciting:D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Just bought a Volvo C30 2.4i to run in preference to my 147 which I have kept.......Equivalent size but cheaper than a 147...... which would be a bad buy when the 149 is only a year or so away(do not like the facelift anyway)..also cheaper to run than a 147

·
Registered
40,302 Posts
My car would be worth peanuts if I were to sell it. So I will hang onto it for a while yet.

Its not too bad on fuel, looks good and goes well, so its not a big hardship.

There are not many smaller car that appeal to me anyway, at least in my price range.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Went from a GT to a Brera, so I downsized (I think:confused: ):lol:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Rather than downsizing I'm using the car less. I can't justify the cost of a new car even if I would like to replace it. Its six years old and only the government's planned increases in an already excessive amount of road tax is a serious worry.

I would consider seriously a smaller or more efficient car but I find on many occasions my 147 already has too small a luggage capacity.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
However it would break my rule of always buying a more powerful car than the previous one
I love that rule!! :D What the hell am I going to buy after my GTA though :eek:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 1.3 Yaris SR and am looking in the next 6-12 months to upgrade to a Alfa GT.

I have survived in my youthful (expensive insurance years) on smaller engined cars, and now i am close to the supposed magic 25 age, i want to get some nice cars before we have to get the bus everywhere!

G

·
Not looking to get rid of the car right now but I wouldn't mind an estate one day to get all the biking and camping kit in the back. I can get one or the other in the back of a 147 but not both. 156 GTA SW would be nice but my patience with 2nd hand Alfas is wearing pretty thin right now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts