Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or are you just on an Alfa journey at the moment, before you move on to scratch another itch?

Having owned an Alfa since the mid seventies, with no more than a brief sojourn into more practical and reliable (at the time) family cars I have come to the conclusion that Alfas have me by the balls.

As things stand I don’t see me venturing into Hybrid or Electric territory until Alfa supply the car

I probably need counselling but until I actually admit I have a problem it won’t work.

I have had a couple of Porsches and a Volvo Amazon but none of them comes close to the smile an Alfa brings and there is nothing out there that is tempting me either. I have also had an Audi and a Lexus as work horses and they are better built than my Alfas but leave me “Meh”. Both have been moved on

I do have a problem don’t I? :)

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,515 Posts
No Muz, your cool! I only wish I could claim the same history. After years of lusting after an Alfa Romeo for years and always being put off by 'experienced advisors', I didnt take the plunge until 2008. But now I cannot see myself driving anything else. Now semi retired the Giulia will have to last a long time and the S2 will remain my fun car as long as I can maintain it. We also have the 939 Spider for more general summer drives.

I would like to dip my toe into some other cars, mainly classics, but I do get tempted from time to time by Maserati 3200 and 4200's, they are so cheap or perhaps a Porsche of some sort.

Reactions: Muz

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Muz, your cool! I only wish I could claim the same history. After years of lusting after an Alfa Romeo for years and always being put off by 'experienced advisors', I didnt take the plunge until 2008. But now I cannot see myself driving anything else. Now semi retired the Giulia will have to last a long time and the S2 will remain my fun car as long as I can maintain it. We also have the 939 Spider for more general summer drives.

I would like to dip my toe into some other cars, mainly classics, but I do get tempted from time to time by Maserati 3200 and 4200's, they are so cheap or perhaps a Porsche of some sort.
Porsches and Maseratis…I hope you have deep pockets for the maintenance!

Can I tempt you with a LHD Porsche 968 Cabriolet Tiptronic on French plates, I have owned it for 20 years and am just the third owner :LOL:

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Ti MY21
89 Posts
Can't claim I am having only owned this one I have now, but its definitely my favourite car owned so far having come from BMW and Audi (admittedly, boring mileage munching 2.0 diesels).

Would I buy another one? I'm not sure I can answer that right now. There's a lot of changes coming in terms of EV and moving away from Giorgio, doesn't mean they'll be bad changes but I would definitely leave it to reviewers and test drives before jumping in because it's purely an Alfa Romeo.

I have always been fond of the brand though from a racing heritage and pure looks of previous cars (33 Stradale, 8C, 4C and I even like the 159, especially the SW). Definitely came into the brand late as have no experience of hearing a Busso engine myself from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
2003 916 Spider 2.0 JTS
17 Posts
The 916 Spider is my first Alfa, always been a Renault Sport (still have my V6 Clio and R26) and Range Rover man.

Was brought up around Alfa’s, does that count, with my dad owning nothing else. In fact he gave me the 916 from his collection, maybe he is trying to turn me to the dark side.

Would I have another? Without a doubt. Not much else looks as good or has that moment of pure perfection

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce, Stelvio Speciale
868 Posts
An Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf was the 1st car car I ever bought. I was ridiculed as a young lad at the time when Astras, XR2s, XR3s and Gti's were all the rage. But the Alfa was different a " boxer" engine, wooden steering wheel and gear stick with a glorious raspy exhaust - I was hooked. Had several Alfas since not all perfect by any means but they were Alfas and I wouldnt be without one. Am I hooked ? Yes most definately.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I like different cars and am not always going to buy one manufacturer, that said.. this is my 2nd Alfa and likely next car will be another Alfa.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I'm biased towards Alfas because generally they are good to drive, and if all other things are equal then having something good looking is a factor too. Currently I have a Giulietta, and if there's a replacement then I'd lean towards it, but I'd consider other makes too.

·
Registered
40,610 Posts
No, I like cars from many manufactuers. I did drive Alfa and Fiat pretty much exclusively for a good few years but we drifed apart. I realised that whilst Alfa made some great cars, so do the competition.

I still think that my first Alfa, a 1990 3.0 V6 164 was the best "Normal" car which they have made, I might change my mind when I get to own a Giulia though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Giulia is my first taste of Alfa ownership and if the Stellantis electrification plan continues probably my last unfortunately. I lust after 90s/00s Jap imports but they've skyrocketed in price and I'm not comfortable dropping that kind of money on 20+yr old cars.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
1,105 Posts
Never owned anything but an Alfa as yet, now I have the GTV V6 the next special car I really fancy is a Renault Sport Spider. The only cars I really aspire to as a special car above that is stuff like a 512BB. For everyday runabouts, I have a Mito but at some point it will come time to replace, with what, I do not know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sadly I'm not Alfa through and through - I had three new ones and now I'm through.

Still watching from the sidelines

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Probably not...

Only had 2 in my 20+ years of driving, both 156 V6s. Although I've owned them for 9 years of my driving life and of that 8 years an Alfa has been my only car.

I want to keep my 3.0 156 for life but 2nd child due and up sizing property means it's unlikely.

Not sure if I'd get another, they're either too old or too expensive now. Plus I was only drawn here because of the Busso engine, yet every time I drive it I do think there's something special about the marque...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not quite yet. The Brera is throwing up a stream of small niggles.
However I did go and look today at a lovely GTV 3.0 V6 being sold by an Alfa enthusiast
of 40 years standing. Hearing the engine running and testing the gear shift convinced
me I should have bought one of these. However, couldn't get the driver's seat forward
sufficiently to fully engage with the pedals (being short in stature). I know in theory one
can reposition the seat rails further forward - anyone know of this being done successfully?

Back on topic - I have usually driven French hot hatch and having acquired the brilliant
208GTi bps, can't see this being knocked off top spot. But I live in hope of connecting with
the GTV in some form. Then I will know whether, like Brighton rock, there is a streak of
Alfa in me.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Had a few alfas now 156,159 and the current giulietta. Also had many other cars ranging from French stuff when I first passed my test including a 205gti what a car that was.. many beemers still have an e90 that the mrs uses.

90% decided I will opt for a giulia in a few months but the 340 and 440i’s keep catching my attention. The 10% of me that still needs convincing is down to the financials, now I know cars are inflated at present but the giulia is likely to dump a lot more value than the beemer in a short space of time when prices eventually peak and start falling back

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
I still have Alfa Tee-shirts (that I wear) and a jacket. My first Alfa was a 916 TS Spider. Mainly good times but the odd hiccup. I sold that for spares after my second engine imploded. Not an alfa fault. first engine had a garage replace belts and variator badly. Second one was probably me not paying attention. I had that Spider for seven years, currently the longest I have owned any car.
Both me and my missus loved that car. We have never been so sorry to see one go. In fact I wish I'd have kept it.

That was a daily for three winter months but it did get me. I bought a diesel GT and followed that with a 5 -pot diesel 159.
At one point I had two Alfas and a Ferrari in the garage.
Sadly the Alfas have gone (still have a Ferrari) and have been replaced by BMW's. One of those BMW's has blown a head gasket I think.
Maybe one day I will once again go Alfa.

·
Registered
40,610 Posts
Part of me wants to buy a Giulia and whilst I think that it is a terrific car a couple of things put me off.

Unless you go the whole hog and get the QV they are only 4 cylinders and they are all automatics. I cannot afford a QV and if I could the running costs would worry me.

I know that the Auto is a really good box, I have driven cars with it fitted. I would just prefer to have a proper manual in a sporty car just for the sake of driver involvement and being connected to the car.

I am not a huge fan of 4 cylinder engines. They do the job but they are just not special. It is a shame that Alfa couldn't have fitted a lower powered version of the V6 in the normal models instead of the 4.

The Giulietta that we have is my 15th or 16th Alfa, I would like another but I will buy other brands of they suit me better.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts