Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a nice Delonghi pump espresso and drip coffee machine, but was offered a brew at a customers house and got a very nice, very quickly produced espresso from their George Clooney Coffee machine.

It was a damn sight easier to use than mine and produced a brew in under a minute.

Now I'm thinking of getting one given the wide range of grand crus available in pod form.

Now I like a good espresso (not a milk user), and my Delonghi has been a faithful servant for several years, but the Nespresso machine has several things going for it.

1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Consistent
4. Can be operated by a trained ape (i.e. when you're tipsy)
5. Looks good in my new kitchen (if I get a titanium/steel one)
6. You can cheat and put your own coffee (Illy) into a reusable pod
7. A half-decent to decent brew

Now they're not supposed to brew as well as a quality pump machine, with the right beans, right grind, right temp and correct draw, but I can always default to my stove top for special brews.:thumbs:

So new pod and it's attendant marketing and overly expensive branded accessories no modern kitchen can be without:rolleyes:,

or be a slave to quality regardless of waste, time or expence with a proper machine?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
We've got a pod machine, the Philips Senseo, does the job pretty well and fairly quick. We certainly wouldn't have the time or patience to dick around with anything more involved but that's just us...

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Waiting for Happy Man to appear extolling the dark, creamy virtues of supping from hissing and spurting Balotelli)

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
I've got a cheap pump espresso machine from DeLonghi, it makes great coffee :D Don't like the pods, I prefer to learn how to do it myself on my cheap espresso machine. I can choose where my coffee comes from, at the moment I'm enjoying some Colombian :) I can get the strength of the coffee just how I like it. I really enjoy the process of making coffee with the machine, I even enjoy cleaning the machine. I know it can seem like a total faff if you're in a hurry but I wouldn't want coffee made any other way. :D

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I used to have a pod machine. It was ok, but it wasn't the freshest tasting coffee I've ever had.

We have a Krups (I think) electric grinder with ceramic wheels. We grind beans fresh each time and either make cafetiere coffee (Thanks Swiss :thumbs:) or Bialetti espresso. Both are considerably better than the pod machine and only take a few extra minutes of effort. Well worth it, in my view :)

I could go for a bean to cup machine, but I actually enjoy the process of making the coffee.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've got a Tassimo machine in my office. It is not as nice as freshly brewed but it does the job in half the time, is easier to use and I don't have to keep throwing out most of a bag of beans because they have gone stale (I only drink 1 cup a day). It is a good halfway house between instant and freshly ground.

·
Registered
369 Posts
FWIW, we've got a Gaggia bean to cup machine that is now 7 or 8 years old. When it finally dies, I think I'd go for a semi automatic and separate grinder. I have tried some of the Nespresso blends in store and while they taste OK, they seem expensive. I think grinding beans would be a much better bet, if you have a good local roaster.

Vin

G

·
0 Posts
Pods are outrageously expensive, and the coffee isn't that great IMO. I drink a lot of coffee and much prefer a cafetiere with ground coffee.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Traditional Italian stove top espresso maker for us...well makers as we have a size for every occasion. :cheese:

(We also have a cracking Italian deli 5 mins walk away which stocks our favourite Neapolitan ground coffee too, Kimbo. Perfect! :cool: :D )

·
Banned
57,288 Posts

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I have one too, my punnery is wasted on you:mad:
Yep, right over my head mate I had to google the name to even realise he's a footy player :D

Hence my absence on the footy thread, I don't follow the sport, that's if you can call 22 blokes chasing a pig bladder round a field a sport :D

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Gaggia beans to cup machine here. We have pod machines at work. They are OK but the pods are expensive and freshly ground is a better taste with a wider variety of coffee available.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a Bialetti machine. Takes pods or ground. It came from Italy so I haven't seen the pods for it here but I think it does take a different pod.
I get good results with the pods but I am struggling to get a good result with ground.
I'm using lavazza ground. But my brother swears by Illy. His coffee is better than mine.

My mum, (who is Italian and lives in Italy!!) says the pods are better because they are fresher, (they are sealed till you use them)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts