Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we missing a model somewhere? I was thinking of the 80's and Alfa Romeo's heydays. The models on offer in 1983 were: Alfa Sud; Sud Sprint; Alfa 33; Giulietta; Alfetta; GTV and Alfa 6. Now that's 7 different models on basically 2 platforms for different niches like sport coupe's, sport sedans, shopping carts, executive saloons and pocket rockets. (I know the platforms were modified for the Alfa 6's & GTV's and between the Suds and 33's).

Today we basically get a Mito, Giulietta and 159 (The GT is due to be discontinued very shortly and is not selling anymore). 3 models on 3 platforms. When we consider the "spiritual successors" one very important model is missing:

The Giulietta/Mito is supposed to be successors to the 147 (as in 145/146 guise: Virtual Alfa 33/Sud/Sprint replacements)...

The Giulia is supposed to be a successor to the 159 range and 166 range even though the 159 was supposed to be a replacement for the 156.

So, what is replacing the 156? The 156 was a replacement to the 155 which replaced the 75 which replaced the Alfetta/Giulietta/GTV. The 156 range even spawned a sport coupe in the GT like the Alfetta spawned a GT and later GTV coupe. The 156 was Alfa Romeo's best selling car to date.

Is Alfa Romeo missing a model or am I missing something?:confused:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
GT is a 147 not a 156. But it is the same basic platform like the old Alfetta, GT, GTV and Giulietta of the 80’s shared a platform
The 159 replaced the 156 although the basic platform is a lot closer to a 166 than a 156.
The 166 still need a replacement as does the GTV and Spider.
The Brera was to the 159 what the GT was to the 147 so definitely not a GTV.
I think you are wrong Alfa actually need three more and not one.
If we have to take the current range back to the 80’s it will be something like this in my opinion.

SUD = Mitto
Giulietta = Giulietta
Alfetta = 159
Alfa 6 = ? (was 166)
GTV = ?
Spider = ?

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
spider and brera aer coming with 1750 motors so there is a replacement on the cards. maybe GTV = Brera?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree with you TN. When I say the GT was based on the 156 I mean the chassis is 156 even though they put 147 electronics, bodywork and interiors into it. The bits below the door sills are identical to the 156 Sportwagons.

While we're at it: The 147 and 156 used very similar materials for the interior. I'm speaking of the facelift versions. The GT as well. 147's were not given cheaper bits because they were the baby of the range. Why is there then such a difference between the Mito (the soft plastic on the dash and other areas- Not the padded sections, the soft plastic that looks somewhat cut-price!), the Giulietta (less soft plastic but still evident) and the 159? (the least amount of cheaper materials inside between the 3 models) when the difference in pricing between similarly engined vehicles is so small? 125kW Mito is priced similarly to 125kW Giulietta. 1750 Giulietta is priced similarly to 1750 engined 159.

My 2c worth: Alfa Romeo should rather share it's own platforms for different models: 4 door Mito versions must actually become a reality, and should undercut Giulietta pricing. Giulietta Sedan, Coupe and perhaps Cabriolet. Real sporty versions as well with GTA badging.

Traditionally TI cars were sporty looking with nicer wheels, sports seats and nowadays, tweaked suspension. Green Cloverleaf (QV versions) cars (like the 105 Sprints) had most of the TI goodies but also slightly tweaked motors producing that bit more power to set you appart. But GTA's were very different animals- More tweaks to engines, suspension, brakes, bodywork, exhaust systems and interior. Alfa Romeo should bring this back too! :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts