Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've noticed a lot more posts along the lines of:

"If you don't put the best fuel/oil/water in your Alfa you don't deserve to be driving one."

I don't know about anyone else but I find that it rubs me up the wrong way a bit.

Alfa does have a certain cache about it's name/design/style but other than that it
is a standard mass produced production car.

Is this a UK(& Ireland) thing again? (Alfa's being thought of as rare outside of continental Europe.)

I get the flaming of BarryAlfas but otherwise these type of comments are starting to leave me a bit cold.

Maybe the Alfa honeymoon is over for me? :confused:

Can't I do what the hell I like with a car that I bought and paid for with my own hard earned cash......?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Of course you can do what you want with your car...and then you can pay all the expensive bills when the crappy fuel/oil buggers your engine. ;) :lol:

To be Honest since moving to Torino to be come APFA Romeo aka FIAT Romeo is not the ALFA it once was......

Whilst I have never had anyone come up to me saying how good a 147 looks, I have had people excitedly saying how good my Volvo C30 is...what is the world coming too... :cheese:

·
Super Moderator
85,951 Posts
Oi don't group us Irish :IRISH: in with that statement :tut:

:p

I've seen a few of those comments like that but not a whole lot TBH & none by the Irish :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh don't get me wrong, the Brera has been the most "exclusive" car I've owned
in the respect of how much attention it received on a daily basis.
But is it any different (mechanically) that it need such special
treatment over-and-above any other mass produced car today?

(The "+Irish" was me trying not to exclude youse lot. :rolleyes: :p)

·
Super Moderator
85,951 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh don't get me wrong, the Brera has been the most "exclusive" car I've owned
in the respect. But is it any different (mechanically) that it need such special
treatment over-and-above any other mass produced car today?
i would say yes to that, i think you need to keep an eye out for signs of early wear of items, maybe this isnt so true on a new car, but certainly is on an older alfa.

if you do want something that will just keep going day in day out without having to do any checks get a vtec honda.

yes i put v power in my car and yes when it comes to change the oil i will use the best. but in all honesty i couldnt give a flying fcuk what anyone else does with their car as its not me that will have to live with it or foot the bill if or when it breaks

:)

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
True Nev. A number of marques that were something special in days past, now have a smattering of resting on their laurels, racing/ competitive past history. But of course as you say the modern versions are just production machines competing with the other production machines out there?

Alfas are excellent in the originality of design stakes, but in other respects no more nor less than other production marques when it comes to comparisons? OK sure they give a fine sporting 'rorty' sound on chat, but some of that is intake and exhaust design I expect, so maybe not such a big thing really?

In the reliability stakes, well like for like maybe, or maybe not. Nothing really to get at all 'snobby snooty' about, still not a bad machine with some nice differences, sums them up maybe? :):

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah ZF, I suppose that sums it up in the hear & now.

but in all honesty i couldnt give a flying fcuk what anyone else does with their car as its not me that will have to live with it or foot the bill if or when it breaks

:)
Yeah, that's kinda my point too, but from the other side maybe?
:lol:

I pampered the **** out of the 147 and realised that in the end it
was just a case of throwing money away. At the end of the day the
car was no more reliable or worth any more than if I'd treated it
like all the other Alfas are treated around here: like a normal car.

(Okay I'll admit it needed the bi-Monthly oil top-up . But even then I used Total
Oil from the Total service station [ Shock! Horror! ] and not Selenia!!! :tut: :rant:)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Yeah ZF, I suppose that sums it up in the hear & now.

Yeah, that's kinda my point too, but from the other side maybe?
:lol:

I pampered the **** out of the 147 and realised that in the end it
was just a case of throwing money away. At the end of the day the
car was no more reliable or worth any more than if I'd treated it
like all the other Alfas are treated around here: like a normal car.

(Okay I'll admit it needed the bi-Monthly oil top-up . But even then I used Total
Oil from the Total service station [ Shock! Horror! ] and not Selenia!!! :tut: :rant:)
Well there is being careful and obsession .

My 'special' treatment is to have the car serviced properly using Castrol 10W60 oil or equivalent quality oil (would top up with same oil) and the other Fluids changed at proper intervals. Replacing the dampers with Koni and replacing the Disks brakes with quality components at a cheaper price to Factory parts. Nothing different from any Alfa I have owned over the last 30 years....even do the same thing to other cars as well. Then I drive it as though it was Stolen .... :cheese:...well not quite ;)

80+k miles later and it is running like a dream...and not a bad one

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
surely the key thing is to enjoy your Alfa/any car, and treat it with the mechanical sympathy that you'd show any car that you care for, and maintain it in line with the manufacturer's recommendations; but don't get too 'precious-precious' about it unless you plan to keep it for a long, long time.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
That's about right too Scud. Enjoy what you have, and if you want to pamper it, or nurture a classic, fair enough. But a change is as good as a rest sometimes, and can give you a more interesting and pleasurable motoring experience.So try something else, or go back, or whatever you chose. I've used Selenia, Mobil1, Valvoline, and many others over the years. Currently using Castrol Magnatec, all of which have been reasonable in the lub stakes?

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Recently I've noticed a lot more posts along the lines of:

"If you don't put the best fuel/oil/water in your Alfa you don't deserve to be driving one."
I don't know about not deserving to own one but there are a few people that think Alfas need more attention than other makes to keep them as reliable. I think that that's guff in general and is a hang-up from the past. My one qualification is that with the new diesel anti-pollution technology it's worth using a superfuel to protect the dpf and egr. But I don't think that's exclusive to Alfa either.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there are some people who take the whole Alfa thing a little too seriously....

I use whatever fuel i can find at the right price and the same goes for oil....with the caveat it has to be of a reasonable quality...

as for water and anti freeze....that are much of a muchness as fas as i am concerned

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Right jw so long as all of the required motoring engineering specs are there, and it's the recommended grade, :): Don't buy the El Cheapo' stuff unless all of the back cover small print on the can (or lack of it? ) has been read and thoroughly digested? :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as for water and anti freeze....that are much of a muchness as fas as i am concerned
You're not using San Pellegrino !?! :eek::eek::eek: :tut::tut::tut:

And shouldn't we all be using AGIP for fuel? :confused:

(;))

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I don't bother with my local AROC meets anymore mainly due to the clique attitudes of several members, and i have noticed a few long time members doing the same.
The last time i went to one when i mentioned AO they looked at me as if i had just swore at them followed by "oh that lot".
I just ignore it now and just happy in the knowledge that i have a great car that i love to bits and friends always remark on what a great looker she is. (even though she's a bit frayed around the edges)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know about not deserving to own one but there are a few people that think Alfas need more attention than other makes to keep them as reliable. I think that that's guff in general and is a hang-up from the past. My one qualification is that with the new diesel anti-pollution technology it's worth using a superfuel to protect the dpf and egr. But I don't think that's exclusive to Alfa either.
but you've got a new car, it shouldnt be breaking down.

even alfa can build a car that will last 3 years :rolleyes:

ive had more problems with my alfa than any other car ive owned, and that is a fact, ive also owned it for the shortest period. maybe its just my alfa, but i doubt it.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Can't I do what the hell I like with a car that I bought and paid for with my own hard earned cash......?
Of course you can, Nev. :)

You'll probably find a disproportionate level of "use the best of everything" advice on a forum such as AO, as it is frequented by car enthusiasts.

As we all know, car enthusiasts will generally spend more money on their cars than they do on anything else. Plus, they tend to know a bit more about their steeds than the average driver, and may even have done a bit of research on fuel additives, oil choice and have read a few Autocar tyre tests.

The devil is always in the detail. If we weren't car enthusiasts, we'd see our cars as just a means of getting from one place to another more quickly than walking. Oil becomes little more than gloopy brown stuff that the blokes at Kwik Fit pour into the engine every year or so. Tyres are black circles of rubber that, rather annoyingly, wear out on a regular basis, and petrol is just the smelly expensive stuff that gets thrown in the tank to facilitate forward motion.

But we are car enthusiasts, and we therefore do care about what we put in/on our cars.

Personally, I'm not a snob on such matters. The 2-litre oil top-up can in my boot is not Selenia Racing oil, but Halfords fully synthetic of the right viscosity. I know enough to be happy that Halfords' fully synthetic oil is good enough for top-ups between services. My tyres are still the ones I got with the car (rubbish brand, but loads of tread), and when it comes to replacing them, I'll probably go for low-end branded rubber (i.e. one notch above Chinese/Indian hoops), safe in the knowledge they'll be good enough for my requirements.

Another element to this is money. I bought my 166 for just under two grand. It stands to reason that I'm not going to buy it top-end trinkets/fluids/spares, as it's effectively a cheap motor, which I want to run as economically as possible (says the man with a V6 Sporto'! :rolleyes: )

On the other hand, if I'd just parted with £30,000-ish of my hard-earned for a high specification new/nearly new Alfa with all the bells and whistles, I'm fairly sure I'd give her Selenia Racing oil, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tyres and Super Unleaded fuel at every fill-up. Well, for the first three years, anyway. :lol:

Don't be too disheartened by the odd snob here (or anywhere else, for that matter), as they are firmly in the minority, especially on AO.

I'd hate for you to fall out of love with the brand on the basis of other people's opinions. :(

I'll leave you with one last thought. Just because one forum member recommends the use of top-notch this, and expensive that, doesn't mean he/she will think any less of you if you go off and do something different.

Personal opinons are just that - personal to the holder of the opinion.

And this is mine. :thumbs:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I only bought mine because it was cheap !

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
but you've got a new car, it shouldnt be breaking down.

even alfa can build a car that will last 3 years :rolleyes:

ive had more problems with my alfa than any other car ive owned, and that is a fact, ive also owned it for the shortest period. maybe its just my alfa, but i doubt it.
I've had four alfas so far, only one of which was new. The 145, 156 and now 159 were (are)every bit as reliable as anything else I've owned or had from new as a company car. In fact the 145 was one of the most reliable cars I've ever had. I'll admit the 166 was a dog's breakfast in terms of reliability but it was ex-fleet and clearly hadn't been looked after at all (there was clear evidence of this when I test drove the car and I should have walked away).

None of the Alfas got any more love and care than anything else I've had, with the exception of BP ultimate in the 159.

Apart from that the least reliable cars I've had in 30 years of driving were an Opel Manta GTE, a Vauxhall Astra, A VW Polo (which was a complete and utter disaster), a Toyota Corolla GT (loads of suspension and bodywork problems) and a Honda Civic (very badly put together).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts