Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know what you mean I’ve been rebuilding front and rear suspension. Solid gta flywheel and clutch. Welding and derusting then under sealing.
Just waiting to get rear suspension bits back from powder coating then fit poly bushes.
Just need to order more parts from totally alfa next week, plan is back together for the end of the month for mot and tax. I’ve said that I’m going to sell it but I know that when I drive it I’ll fall back in love with it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've sort of toyed with selling my phase 3 ,3.2 Spider in the past.Got it out a week ago and just loved the drive. Unfortunately I am now sat in hospital after having a full knee replacement including knee cap and it's going to be quite a while before I can drive it again.Going to have to seriously think and decide what to do with her.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You are kidding right? 3.2 p3 spider is the most desirable 916 ever. Relax, calm down, get your knee sorted and look forward to driving her again. You are very lucky to have the ultimate 916 waiting for you........... 🍀😎

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’ve been there had a total knee and cap replacement in 2018. I can in and out of my Gtv ok now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These cars are getting quite rare now, so it's inevitable that values are rising. Looking at GTVs on the website How Many Left and Honest John - Alfa Romeo GTV - How Many Survived? | Honest John - it looks to me like out of around 5000 UK GTV Twin Sparks there are less than 600 taxed and on the road as at Q3 2020, with roughly a further 1000 SORNed (which could be in various states from basket case to concours). Numbers of V6 GTVs look to be similar, although there were far fewer to start with (around 500 taxed and 500 SORNed currently, from less than 2000 registered UK examples new).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting thread.
I've just signed up because I'm looking for a late model V6 Spider, ideally a Ph3. Alternatively a late Twinny.
If any of you are thinking of selling your Spider then please let me know. I'm not looking for a GTV.

I'm also selling my 1991 S4 Spider Beaute Limited Edition.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just had a gander at TS prices and I agree they have definitely increased, in some respects quicker than the V6; some are at or around the £5K mark!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Prices for convertibles tend to creep up this time of year. Having said that the T.Spark is a classic alfa engine and is quite unusual compared to other 4 pots. Therefore, it should be of interest to collectors and historians, which suggests the vehicles will rise further in value as they become more rare. How long it will take is anyone's guess and is somewhat a secondary concern for myself as I find the real value comes from the Spider / gtv:s beauty, the driving experience and the uniqueness of these vehicles.......... 🍀😎

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The whole classic car market is incredibly fickle. Rarity and originality command top prices but there are also period modifications that “they” say are acceptable and others that aren’t. The Spider (and indeed the GTV) is a gorgeous looking car that hits the sweet spot between being modern enough to have luxuries like ABS, electric windows etc but is old enough to be relatively easy to work on.

I think the Spider’s biggest problem is people just don’t know what it is outside the Alfa community. I frequently get complimented on the car followed by ‘what is it?’. Looking at eBay, asking prices are definitely creeping up, it would be interesting to know if this is reflected in actual selling prices. I also wonder how much is ‘natural wastage’ as the cheap and cheerful, poorly maintained examples are scrapped and only the better examples remain.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The whole classic car market is incredibly fickle. Rarity and originality command top prices but there are also period modifications that “they” say are acceptable and others that aren’t. The Spider (and indeed the GTV) is a gorgeous looking car that hits the sweet spot between being modern enough to have luxuries like ABS, electric windows etc but is old enough to be relatively easy to work on.

I think the Spider’s biggest problem is people just don’t know what it is outside the Alfa community. I frequently get complimented on the car followed by ‘what is it?’. Looking at eBay, asking prices are definitely creeping up, it would be interesting to know if this is reflected in actual selling prices. I also wonder how much is ‘natural wastage’ as the cheap and cheerful, poorly maintained examples are scrapped and only the better examples remain.
Yes I get a lot of admiring glances for spider and gtv followed by a what is it..... 🍀

·
Registered
333 Posts
Indeed. I have to say each to their own but the Spider does nothing for me, the proportions look wrong from the rear and when the hood up from the side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought a Phase 2 1.8 ts black. It needs to be repainted. Will this decrease the value ? To be honest it isnt like that cop from the states that bought a full spec Hemi Challenger from the 1970 that had 3 dots at best. But still im wondering ? Sure it isnt quite like his a Survivor car.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just bought a Phase 2 1.8 ts black. It needs to be repainted. Will this decrease the value ? To be honest it isnt like that cop from the states that bought a full spec Hemi Challenger from the 1970 that had 3 dots at best. But still im wondering ? Sure it isnt quite like his a Survivor car.
Depends on what you bought car for.... Not sure if the final collectable value can be reverse engineered....🍀

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Indeed. I have to say each to their own but the Spider does nothing for me, the proportions look wrong from the rear and when the hood up from the side.
There was a spider I saw that had a new roof fitted that was lower profile at the rear 3rd. It looked much better than the oem profile..... 🍀

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve been there had a total knee and cap replacement in 2018. I can in and out of my Gtv ok now.
Thanks,thats reassuring to hear.At the moment its quite sore but hopefully things will improve.They had to do reconstruction on the kneecap too and cut a lot of scar tissue out as I had previous operations on it including Gortex ligaments.
Onwards and upwards as they say.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks,thats reassuring to hear.At the moment its quite sore but hopefully things will improve.They had to do reconstruction on the kneecap too and cut a lot of scar tissue out as I had previous operations on it including Gortex ligaments.
Onwards and upwards as they say.
My knee cap had been broken into 10 bits years ago and wired up. The pain gets better from the op

21 - 37 of 37 Posts