Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking at GTVs for sale on Autotrader and Ebay and was surprised to see that prices seem to have risen quite a bit over the last year.

Not so long ago, less than 1k got you a GTV with an MOT. Most prices seem to be nearer 2k plus

Am I right on this?

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
My impression over the past 12 to 18 months or so is that prices for the TS have firmed up. It's the same for the V6 as well, so perhaps the TS has been carried along in a general wave or positive price movement for the 916 Alfas.

I think most will agree that the 916 is still a great looking Alfa. Generally it was well made, there are of course the usual weak points but overall if looked after it's still a fun drive. You feel special sitting in it. I always get people chatting to me at the petrol forecourt, generally I'm asked "what is it?" and "what make is it?" These irritants aside people do appreciate the styling whether GTV or Spider, and I think prices may continue to improve.

There is also the possibility that prices have also firmed up due to a continuing flow of imports of really nice and clean (rust free) examples from Japan. The condition of some of these is just incredible, and will help to bolster the interest in the 916 range.

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
A friend recently sold a Vela Blue W reg Gtv V6 for £7000 to a private buyer in Cheshire. Made me think about my low mileage, six speed T reg V6 I have in storage. Should I let it go to someone who will use it as when I have the engine upgrade done on my TS I can't see me using it for a few years, the Ts will be my weekend weapon of choice. 3 Gtv's on Ebay right now, 2 x TS and a V6 showing high prices, of course this is what they are asking which doesn't mean they will sell at this price.
Alfa Romeo GTV t spark 2.0 | eBay
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV V6 Lusso 3.0 Busso 47000miles Aero kit 2000 | eBay
2001 Alfa Romeo GTV T Spark Petrol Manual | eBay

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think it's worth noting that the entire used car market just seems to be utterly bonkers at the minute. That 136k TS for £3,200 looks to me to be an example of that.

I picked up a GTV with about 6 months ago with MoT for a bag of sand. I don't think the price is creeping up just yet, but eventually it'll cling to the coat-tails of the V6s

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,850 Posts
The 916 Pininfarina WILL go up in value, I have said this before. Clean unmolested examples will be future collectables. An 916 GTV Busso in my dream garage please.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,850 Posts
Perfect colour combo to!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I mean, you're right - ultimately they will go up in value.

But, only the 110 step nose has really gone anywhere in terms of proper money in terms of the mass produced Alfas. I won't be holding out for much of a return on investment on my GTV - does mean I can drive the wheels off it without fearing putting more miles on! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Think they are going up slightly but you could flip the question too, 'Will I get back what I've paid out'!!!
I believe that answer unfortunately, will be a big fat NO for a long time.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think they are going up slightly but you could flip the question too, 'Will I get back what I've paid out'!!!
There are very few mass produced cars that will give you back what you paid out though, if you are including servicing and wear and tear.

My original post was more to do with prices no longer being derisory for the car should you be selling. Four or five years ago I’d have been lucky to get £800 to £1000 for my 1997 TS in good condition, which in truth was a big influence on me not selling it at the time. I would have felt like I was giving it away.

Anyway I am not looking to sell just pleased to see, I think, that these cars are now attracting sensible money

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't think they will ever make mega bucks.... Anyway petrol engines will be managed off the roads by . Gov soon so maybe only buyer will be museum.....
Could always convert to electric I guess.... 🍀

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think you'll see prices in everything drop off once we go back to normal. I do like thinking mine's worth more than I paid for it, mind.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,816 Posts
The rust will have killed most of them long before they are worth real money...you always get the odd overpriced one that seems to sell...then everyone thinks they are appreciating! The good thing about the rust is the ones that survive will eventually go up through rarity value alone.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I bought a 3.2 p3 from modern classic auction, I was surprised there was quite a lot of interest and bidders. I kind of thought that there would not be much interest at all. 🍀

·
Registered
334 Posts
I currently have my rather gorgeous V6 up for sale at the moment for £6.5K.....flurry of interest from Traders, scammers, nutters, innit tho bruv and Walty Mitty dreamers; selling a car always makes me question human behaviour/psychology.

Prices have risen for sure since I purchased her, but the 916 will never ever make big money. Having taken her out of storage and driven her again I appear to be once again a bit smitten with the Busso.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I currently have my rather gorgeous V6 up for sale at the moment for £6.5K.....flurry of interest from Traders, scammers, nutters, innit tho bruv and Walty Mitty dreamers; selling a car always makes me question human behaviour/psychology.

Prices have risen for sure since I purchased her, but the 916 will never ever make big money. Having taken her out of storage and driven her again I appear to be once again a bit smitten with the Busso.
Are you wavering on selling now?

I have owned my TS for over 10 years and have prepared it for sale on at least four occasions, and then driven it and changed my mind. I once had it all but sold to a friend and had to let him down after I had driven it on a long journey to make sure it didn’t have any problems having been off road for the winter.

It’s worth balanced against the fun and relatively cheap maintenance makes it not worth selling, as I have space to keep it.

I must get the brake pipe and hose advisories that have been on my MOT for a few years sorted this year though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes I am, had few drives and I am absolutely loving her again, so much better than many more modern cars that are devoid of that driver connection. I have been here before like you too:oops: as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts