Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brakes makes a clicky sort of grindy noise when i break at low speed.

today it was like a beautiful autumnal day so had the windows down and listening to the V6 and noticed when driving in town that there is the noise i described above

am i being unneccessarily concerned?

they are the standard 330m gta brakes......

thanks

matt

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quattrothedog said:
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there plenty wear left in the pads & discs ?
no need to forgive, i havent a clue, the cars done 20k in 18 monthsm whats the natural wear?

cheers

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
depends on your driving but check them, there may be verry little pad left! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gtachris said:
depends on your driving but check them, there may be verry little pad left! :rolleyes:

chris

this will be case of needing to teach grandma to suck eggs! my knowledge of cars is about the same as steve martins in planes, train and automobiles "four f**king tires and a f**king steering wheel"

one you've stopped laughing how do i check these??

thanks

W

·
0 Posts
Not being funny....but best way for you to check them is take it to a garage. It's no good telling you where to look and what to look for...as you might not see it when it's in front of your face :lol:

Sorry if that sounds harsh or patronising...it really isn't meant to :D

Brakes are not worth messing with if you've no idea...

wrinx

·
Registered
144 Posts
20k in 18 months?
Forgive me for asking, in that time has the car been serviced, pad wear should have been checked then- go back to whoever you use for servicing, ask them to check.
But do it asap!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has to go back to the dealer to get a few stone chips so i'll check then

the car was serviced in june this year at 15k, i can't remember what was done, all the service documents are scanned and kept online, haven't printed them all off (or any of them) as of yet

no offence taken to anything said, my love of cars is how they look, sound and handle, show me an engine and i'll know how to top up the water, oil or find the battery, after that totally clueless!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Best to have a garage look at them, they will also show you where to look if you ask them I am sure.

In any case it is very easy to see the amount of pad left on a GTA, once you know where to look.
Its is clearly visible through the wheel.
Basically its the minimum depth of the pad that touches the disc, the pads start off at something roughly like 8mm, and when they are down to approx 2mm its time to change them.
You should able to see the edge of the pads clearly enough to judge the wear without having to take the wheel off, but if you have non standard wheels then take the wheel off to get a better view.

Normally the car should give a warning beep when this is reached, since there are pad wear sensors - but I don't think it is 100% reliable myself.

In any case if its a fairly quiet slight frictional noise under very light braking, that might be normal enough in my experience. If the pads had been used very hard previously (at the track for example), the pad surface can become less smooth than would be ideal and this does make some extra noise under light braking.

If its a clicking type noise its possible that one of the caliper retaining pins has dislodged and perhaps the pad is moving slightly.
Have alook at the pad positions on both sides, and see is there any discrepancy in positioning.
So best to get it checked out if you are in any way unsure about safety.

Cheers,
TB

mattireland said:
it has to go back to the dealer to get a few stone chips so i'll check then

the car was serviced in june this year at 15k, i can't remember what was done, all the service documents are scanned and kept online, haven't printed them all off (or any of them) as of yet

no offence taken to anything said, my love of cars is how they look, sound and handle, show me an engine and i'll know how to top up the water, oil or find the battery, after that totally clueless!!!! :D :D :D

E

·
0 Posts
Mine seems to make a clicky noise after it has been driven with anger, doesn't do it all the time though. I notice it when parking up sometimes, and the car has the older 305mm brakes.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
EddieGTA said:
Mine seems to make a clicky noise after it has been driven with anger, doesn't do it all the time though. I notice it when parking up sometimes, and the car has the older 305mm brakes.
this noise is the discs contracting again as they have expanded when heated from braking hard, its quite normal.

@matt, trailbreaker pretty much said everything but there is no electronic warning for the rear pads so if you really don't know where to look please do take it to a garage and have them checked, it's easier than trying to teach you to suck eggs ;) and don't worry about lack of knowledege, that only comes with experiance :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TB, Wrinx, Kim148, Chris, Eddie

Thanks for the advice! very much appreciated

i shall of course ask for further advice in the future and my training shall continue

im planning a few minor upgrades before christmas so i shall be calling on you experts again!!

Ta

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts