Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, can i take the mechanism from a P1 GTV and simply bolt them into a P2 and bob's mi uncle?

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't that the motor though? The mechs are the same ie: you can take a P2 motor and screw it into a P1 mech ... is my thinking!? or am i wrong?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I swapped one a few weeks back. I had to fit the bracket and micro switch for the auto drop from the Ph2 to the Ph1. I seem to remember something else but can't remember exactly what it was:eek: Could have been the position of the motor on the regulator? Sorry, not much help but in answer to the question in my case it was not just a quick swap over but not hard to do either.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It's actually June/July 2000, not 2001. But even then, the mechanisms are essentially the same. The earlier ones will not have the microswitch and the bit of metal to actuate the microswitch so if the car is supposed to have autodrop, autodrop will no longer operate with an earlier mechanism.

I also recall being told that the motor sits at a slightly different angle on later mechanisms but this has no effect on its operation.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It's actually June/July 2000, not 2001. But even then, the mechanisms are essentially the same. The earlier ones will not have the microswitch and the bit of metal to actuate the microswitch so if the car is supposed to have autodrop, autodrop will no longer operate with an earlier mechanism.

I also recall being told that the motor sits at a slightly different angle on later mechanisms but this has no effect on its operation.
Ah, I did remember right then. To make the autodrop work I moved the motor to the same angle. I marked up the position for the micro switch bracket on the new reg then carfully cut the bracket off the old one. I used small bolts to fit it back on. Luckily for me I got it dead on first time and the glass drops perfectly about 8mm.

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Ah, I did remember right then. To make the autodrop work I moved the motor to the same angle. I marked up the position for the micro switch bracket on the new reg then carfully cut the bracket off the old one. I used small bolts to fit it back on. Luckily for me I got it dead on first time and the glass drops perfectly about 8mm.
Hmmmm, not sure you do?

No difference in shape or angles, only the micro switch & mounting.

You can fit either & they will work but obviously the auto drop will only work if the micro switch is plugged in & connected via the correct N82 ECU behind the glovebox. It's not that simple though.

The e/motors, I think all auto drop & even later/new non auto drop, come apart(3 screws) whereas the earlier ones are 'pressed/peened' together. Later motors are screwed to the regulator, earlier type riveted.

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Whoa, weird... it's like an old Mini window winder (or the ones in any Japanese car). Never seen a FIAT/Alfa that didn't use cables or a flexible rack! still, at least nothing goes wrong with heavy galvo toothed scissors, right? :)

-Alex

P

·
0 Posts
Wrong, I bought my 03 spider with a broken window mech. The teeth had sheared from the large arched gear. 2nd hand ph2 units are snapped up quickly and demand a nice price. Cost me £80.
I guess the price is kept high due to ph1 owners wanting to upgrade to autodrop.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I guess the price is kept high due to ph1 owners wanting to upgrade to autodrop.
I don't think that's the case at all actually. It's simply numbers. If you add the GTV/Spider sales figures from the spreadsheet ( see sticky thread ) for 1996 to 2000 and half of the 2000 figures you get a total sales figure of 6,890. Add the sales for 2001 on and half of 2000 and you get a total sales figure of 2436.

It's simply rarity value.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Out of interest can you simply bolt phase 2 doors onto a phase 1 to get autodrop?
No.

You need the wiring to go back to the N82 unit behind the glovebox ( from the A pillar ) and also the N82 unit has to be changed which also raises the spectre of compatibility between early and late N82. If you look up the phase 1 N82 unit it states it is out of production and no replacements available whereas the later phase 2 units are available. That's not to say it won't work in real life of course.

Also, if your phase 1 was built before May 1997, you don't even have an N82 unit in the first place so that's another whole heap of hurt.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are the autodrop microswithes reapirable or do you just have to replace them when they start doing their own thing??

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The micro switches themselves look pretty standard so wouldn't be worth messing with.
The reg I used was from a P reg car. Whatever I did the changeover wasn't difficult at all. On my original the nylon gear wheel in the motor had stripped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts