Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After applying the brakes in my 159 they seem to stay on for a few seconds before releasing again. Is this normal? It's pretty annoying.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If on a gradient then yes, it's the hill holder system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think this happens to my 159 aswell. sometimes there is a "crisp" release and others it is more "spongy". I have taken to lifting the brake pedal with my right foot to ensure it is completely up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Had the same problem. It was fixed by having the pivot pin on the foot pedal replaced under warranty - since then no problems. Apparently some of the pins have a layer of paint that's too thick and causes the pedal to stick on.

Steve

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does seem to only happen on a gradient. I thought it may be hill assist but I didn't think my car had it? I will get it looked at when it goes in for all the other fixes.

On another note have any of you got a problem with your fog lights misting up in wet weather?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Your 159 will have the hill holder - It is an integral part of the VDC system.

From the hand book - Will operate on slopes with a gradient greater than 6%

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If on a gradient then yes, it's the hill holder system.
Your 159 will have the hill holder - It is an integral part of the VDC system.

From the hand book - Will operate on slopes with a gradient greater than 6%
It would appear that you gents are correct. It does not happen on the flat:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Happy to help Ti. Caught me out a few times when I had mine. It's a gimmick but a good one:thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same problem. It was fixed by having the pivot pin on the foot pedal replaced under warranty - since then no problems. Apparently some of the pins have a layer of paint that's too thick and causes the pedal to stick on.

Steve
OK my 10 Day old 159 2.4 has started doing this on the flat as well. The pedal stays slightly depressed and if your out of boost revs its dam hard keep the thing moving through roundabouts in 2nd gear!!

This ain't no hill holder, hopefully its the pivot pin as mentioned above as if you lift the pedal up with your foot it release straight away.

Bl:mad: :mad: dy dangerous I reckon and it'll be going back to the dealer along with the rattling windscreen, the air con/climate control that decides to come on whenever it bl:mad: :mad: dy well feels like it, the auto wipers that come on when there's no rain and stay of when its bucketing down and B&M that autoplays the media player when you start the car regardless of whether or not autoplay is selected when you insert your memory stick (yep tried several times to be sure to be sure).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the car but :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had exactly the same issue on my red 159 Lusso which is only 5 weeks old, so I just wanted to say that as stevel58 said it was the pivot pin at fault.
My brakes were sticking also, if I pressed hard on the brakes and released quickly the pedal had enough momentum to fully release, but if I had only applied a small amount of brake pressure, say pedal only about 1 inch depressed, then they would stay on and when it was dark I could see the brake lights still lit up in my rear view mirror, so I knew it was the pedal and not the actual brake pads.
So I would advise if you have sticking brake issues, check at night if you see the brake lights in the back, if you do then it's not your brakes but the pivot pin.

I read this post, then I put up with the problem for the last few weeks hoping that it would "wear in" and clear itself, but it didn't.
So I rang a local Alfa dealer (Donalds in Pboro), and explained the problem and that I had read on-line that it could be the pivot pin and will it be covered by warranty, they said it was unusual to have a car come in where the problem had already been diagnosed:)
Anyway, I took it in the next day, they confirmed the diagnosis was correct, they took the pin out, rubbed the gunk off with wire wool and then greased it and put back in, works just as it should again now, they said they hadn't actually seen this before but would be sure to remember it for any future customers with a similar issue, there was no charge for them looking at it as it is warranty work.

So thanks for the pointer stevel58, even though it now works after the last few weeks I'm still in the habit of tapping the side of the brake pedal to make sure it's off;)

And as a few other people have said, I also have the "mind of its own" air con unit etc, I keep an eye on the air con as it will come on as I'm driving along whether I want it to or not and the cars not misting up so it shouldn't be the visibility feature etc, so I keep turning it off for fuel economy;) but I can live with it, it is a damn sexy looking car in red, I like when the posey BMW or Merc drivers cast their eyes over it!

Simon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well perhaps I should have joined and read this post previously. Had this problem with my 159 SW and it took the dealer 2.5 weeks to sort it out. New master cylinder & slave cylinder (dashboard out!), ECU remapping etc etc.... Sorted now under warranty, but how I now laugh that they were not aware of the pivot pin sticking. Still the excessive bill Alfa UK now has for the replacment parts, and the hours spent trying to fix my car seem to sooth my annoyance at the time it took to fix.

In all, a beautiful car that drives me up up the wall! But I wouldnt change it for the world.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well perhaps I should have joined and read this post previously. Had this problem with my 159 SW and it took the dealer 2.5 weeks to sort it out. New master cylinder & slave cylinder (dashboard out!), ECU remapping etc etc.... Sorted now under warranty, but how I now laugh that they were not aware of the pivot pin sticking. Still the excessive bill Alfa UK now has for the replacment parts, and the hours spent trying to fix my car seem to sooth my annoyance at the time it took to fix.

In all, a beautiful car that drives me up up the wall! But I wouldnt change it for the world.
:lol: :lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well my 08 SW has just gone in to have the sticky brakes sorted, the pivot pin and master cylinder shaft were cleaned and lubricated last week, but Mangos said that any improvement would be temporary and pre ordered a new master cylinder.
The good news is that I've just got home and they collected the car and left me a brand new GT Cloverleaf for 3 days:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Update---mangos rang to say that an Alfa engineer? happened to be their and advised the sticky brakes were due to the pivot pin having too thick a layer of paint, and so after having the car on 3 seperate occaisionsand threatening to dismantle the front and remove the whole dash, they scraped the paint off and problem solved.
Why didn't they listen to me in the first place when I told them what was on the forum. AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts