Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
All cars are different heights - wouldn't worry about it...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'd be more worried that someone might think you were a bit of a sad boy racer............ :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
back in the days, i had 156 lowered and it saved me from going over the small wall into a gorge. that's what the police said when inspection of the scene was finished. car was totaled, but i would most likely be killed if i went over the wall. very lucky in unlucky situation.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Well we might as well all buy 4x4's then. Total rubbish IMO. They've used ****** out old mondeo's who knows what life they had before the test. According to my insurance company my lowered wagon makes it handle better and so makes it safer and reduces my insurance premium. Think I'll listen to the industry experts....

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The test in the video isn't very good. The car which went over the top may have had less passenger compartment damage simply because it went over the top of the lower car. If the two cars used were the same height then feasibly both could have come away with more severely damaged passenger compartments.
There are more non-lowered cars than lowered ones, so the situation could be that due to their lower numbers lowered cars are safer.

And then there is the fact that non-fault head on collisions are one of the rarest types of accidents. Almost all head ons happen as a result of an attempt to overtake in 'non-overtake' situations. Drive properly and you won't get involved in a head on

I guess the upshot is we should keep on driving Alfa's, Mondeo's look quite dangerous ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Well we might as well all buy 4x4's then. Total rubbish IMO. They've used ****** out old mondeo's who knows what life they had before the test. According to my insurance company my lowered wagon makes it handle better and so makes it safer and reduces my insurance premium. Think I'll listen to the industry experts....
Agree, its a rubbish test - still really wouldn't want to crash into a 4x4 though..

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The 159ti is lowered and stiffened and it tells. The handling is much better than a stock 159 so in the first place it could prevent you from being in the accident situation at all. Secondly, when a car is loaded it lowers on it's suspension. So it's like saying your car is more unsafe when your shopping is in the boot and the mrs is onboard.

Well with the mrs onboard, mine probably is more unsafe!:rolleyes:

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. All of your comments put my mind at rest. Joss, I was wondering what insurer you use because I'm doing a few other mods and I'm concerned that my insurance premiums will go through the roof, or my insurer will refuse to take on a modified car?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
If anything, lowered cars are less dangerous as handling would typically improve with a lowered car
Might be true except most lowered cars are on aftermarket springs. Typically these are not developed for handling. Most are manufactured just to fit the spaces in the car, not manufactured after a develop programme to improve handling.

If you think about it there is just no way an aftermarket spring company can afford to buy every model of car to hammer round a circuit to see what vices they have introduced!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lowered cars may corner better on a race track but on the potholed broken surfaces we seem to have round here I'm not so sure, I regularly follow lowered hatchbacks with the rear skipping about at normal traffic speeds. Usually French cars, mind!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Might be true except most lowered cars are on aftermarket springs. Typically these are not developed for handling. Most are manufactured just to fit the spaces in the car, not manufactured after a develop programme to improve handling.

If you think about it there is just no way an aftermarket spring company can afford to buy every model of car to hammer round a circuit to see what vices they have introduced!
That's a good point, but I think what the aftermarket spring companies try to do is to replicate the rate of the original springs in a shorter length. It can be done, there is nothing to dictate the length of a 400lb/inch spring (for example only), there are only physical limitations of travel and the confines of how much room the spring has to fit into

Chris

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Lowered cars may corner better on a race track but on the potholed broken surfaces we seem to have round here I'm not so sure, I regularly follow lowered hatchbacks with the rear skipping about at normal traffic speeds. Usually French cars, mind!
They would be Saxos, 106 etc where the torsion bars have been wound off. A truly dire way to lower a car (also done to VW transporters all the time).
Properly lowered cars are a transformation. Reputable spring manufacturers seem to get it right in my experience. By that I mean ones who put their names on their products :)

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Lowered cars tend to corner much better up until a point... Then when they do loose traction the do so much more quickly and are much harder to control.

Also a lowered car is likely to be driven around corners faster, so I would say they are more dangerous but not for the reasons 5th gear say.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As variuos peole have said, provided that the springs come from a reputable source, there should not be a problem. For example Eibach go about things in a very thorough way (having been privileged to see their data sheets) .The only real issue is if the car is lowered so much that it hits the bump stops in normal cornering - often a recipe for snap oversteer/understeer.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
It's always a compromise, but grip and handling has everything to do with suspension geometry, roll centre/centre of gravity, suspension stiffness, tyres. And then, in relation to the road surface.

If you alter the car's suspension (eg: lowered springs), this will change the geometry and roll centre. This may be improved, or you go too far, it may be made worse. So no-one can really generalise, because it depends on the car, and what changes are made.

As such, any oversimplified 'test' is invalid, and thus bullsh!t.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts