Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stopped looking for a stock 147 manual gear knob so looking for something else. Are most knobs interchangeable between manufacturers? If so, what looks good?

After one with the 5 gear pattern.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Most aftermarket ones fit over the shaft with an adapter and are attached with grub screws, take about 3 minutes to fit.

I have a chrome momo ball which looks good, but it's bloody freezing in the mornings!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Momo, as said, do some good 'uns :thumbs:

·
Registered
930 Posts
What about the silispeed knobs? the JTS gear knob is somewhat lacking in the looks department i think...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Flick the silver top cap out and underneath should be a screw. Replacing with a normal gear knob looks silly though as they're all way too big for the tiny shaft. Maybe get someone to turn up something more suitable.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

Not had a proper look yet can't find any 'stock' type one's, the Momo's look solid but not sure they'll go with my car.

@1of1. When you replaced the gearstick housing does the knob need to come off & the shaft pulled from under the car or can I do it all with the knob attached ? I may try restoring it with a leather sheet & glue...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I managed to get a mint 2nd hand one from Sherburn Motors for mine, suppose it depends what they have in at the time though.

I was told on here by a few and the big alfa spare parts company that uses this place I had no chance. Goes to shows if you keep trying you will find an original one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I managed to get a mint 2nd hand one from Sherburn Motors for mine, suppose it depends what they have in at the time though.

I was told on here by a few and the big alfa spare parts company that uses this place I had no chance. Goes to shows if you keep trying you will find an original one.

I assumed the reason they were quite rare 2nd hand was because of the pain they were to remove? So when you finally got it off, it was already shredded by the pushing/pulling.:D

How much did you pay? I've asked around some breakers on ebay, some told me £20 but awaiting photos..

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not too sure to be honest, when i got it from the scrappers it came straight off with just a tug and went back on mine just as easily and hasnt moved a mm since.

I think it was about £20 tbh, was a fair while ago now so cant remember exactly.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
@1of1. When you replaced the gearstick housing does the knob need to come off & the shaft pulled from under the car or can I do it all with the knob attached ? I may try restoring it with a leather sheet & glue...

The knob can stay on, once the gaitor is removed there's loads of room to drop it through :thumbs:

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Yeah, the stiffness was the bush on top of the gearbox, slopiness was the housing :D

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Yup, in my original thread it looked like I had to replace the lot, but a bit of tinkering / stripping while checking what was available on ePER showed me that was all I needed :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts